• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My ZRX Story

Reaction score
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
Slover
Well there was a mileage thread over on the OA that got me to thinking of
not only how many miles I had ridden my rex but the list of parts that have
gone into it so far.

The motor has never been opened up other than for valve adjustments and the ZX11 cams that went in 10 years ago.

As it sits the REX and I have traveled 153,800 miles

Along the way we have used and gathered,
3 paint jobs Stock Black, Porsche Midnight Blue, and Current Tangelo Pearl
26 front tires
38 rear tires
6 chains
18 valve adjustments
30 oil changes

And an entire group of lifelong friends gathered along the way, its been and enjoyable ride many of those miles were in the company of some great riders and friends, I look forward to a 200K mile party for the old girl

Wow that for sharing it is nice when some one keeps a bike that long. Almost bought one not too long ago but like a dummy passed. By the time I made up my mind the next day it was gone. Pictures?

Here is a couple

Attachments

• Rex.jpg
    Rex.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 227
  • rex tank.jpg
    rex tank.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 195
What is your secret or main thing you did to get such great mileage out of her?

My own ZRX has 130K on it and it still consumes no oil. Just valve adjustments, inspections actually most of the time, oil changes, chains, tires, a steering head bearing set, headlight socket, and a modification of the starter chain tensioner. I also had to go through the carburettors a couple of times, replacing float needle valves because the fuel level in the bowls was getting too high and killing my gas mileage and I had to replace O-rings in the fuel petcock and disassemble the gas cap because it was intermittently not venting causing a vacuum lock to make the bike run out of gas. That's about all I can think of right now.

Nobody is surprised if a BMW or a Goldwing goes 100K+. What's so unique about these two bikes? They are mostly owned and ridden by grownups! I think riding like a grownup is the main secret to vehicle longevity.

Watch it now I may be getting old but my wife constantly wonders when I will
Grow up:trust:

Nothing special, just solid routine maintenance it's never been babied,but also never abused.

I forgot about Petcock o rings, and I did go through the carbs twice to clean and orings once

I miss everything about the two ZRX's I owned - except for the pain in my bumm when I rode. I just never could get the bikes comfortable - most likely my size being the main factor. The last '05 in Green was the most beautiful bike I have ever owned. It was stunning....

I miss everything about the two ZRX's I owned - except for the pain in my bumm when I rode. I just never could get the bikes comfortable - most likely my size being the main factor. The last '05 in Green was the most beautiful bike I have ever owned. It was stunning....

I have a Rick Mayer custom seat on mine and have done several 1000 mile days with no issue at all, I used to ride it from NB to Atlanta GA once a month a few years back.

I still miss my black 2000 ZRX... except the Corbin seat. I hated that, it was like sitting on a rock.
I have a Sargent now on my Interceptor- it's loads better, I did 300 miles on it yesterday.

But I'm looking for another Rex.

As soon as I can find one close enough, and I have enough money in my pocket...

Nobody is surprised if a BMW or a Goldwing goes 100K+. What's so unique about these two bikes? They are mostly owned and ridden by grownups! I think riding like a grownup is the main secret to vehicle longevity.

Exactly! I look forward to hitting the 100,000-mile mark on mine someday. This is, without question, the most enjoyable motorcycle I've ever owned.

0001-FtDavis1010.jpg

I have to admit, I saw a 2001 ZRX for sale at TJ's the other day. I checked my bank balance, pulled it up on their web site (24,000 miles) and then saw the price and closed the page. :mrgreen:

I have to admit, I saw a 2001 ZRX for sale at TJ's the other day. I checked my bank balance, pulled it up on their web site (24,000 miles) and then saw the price and closed the page. :mrgreen:

Yes 5K a tad expensive. Nice looking motorcycle just priced too high.

Wow, my '96 GPZ (same engine) has almost 100K miles. One valve adjustment and a clutch it did not need. I have used full synthetic oil since I've had it and changed it regularly.

Clutch was slipping at 80K and thought it may be burned up from all the two riding I've done. Opened the engine and it looked like brand new inside. Clutch plates and disc looked brand new. Turns out the springs had gotten weak. Already had the disc and new Barnet springs so put them in anyway.

Other than one valve adjustment, one battery, tires, brakes and chains, its been flawless and still runs like new.

I had an 1100 ZRX for a while, my third street bike.

I still say it's the best sub 4k bike on the planet.

Had I lived in Arkansas or Colorado it would still be in the bike
shed.

But the roads in central Texas are a far cry smooth and at my age the
ZRX did not afford me the comfort or wind protection that I needed.

I had thought of turning it into a show bike but that's a rich mans game.

I still strike a big grin every time I see one on the street.

:zen:

I had an 1100 ZRX for a while, my third street bike.

I still say it's the best sub 4k bike on the planet.

Had I lived in Arkansas or Colorado it would still be in the bike
shed.

But the roads in central Texas are a far cry smooth and at my age the
ZRX did not afford me the comfort or wind protection that I needed.

I had thought of turning it into a show bike but that's a rich mans game.

I still strike a big grin every time I see one on the street.

:zen:

I am the opposite, if I lived in Arkansas or Colorado my SV1K would get a lot more riding and with the sport touring windshield my ZRX is a much better touring bike than the SV.
The ZRX is a very good all around UJM, the swing arm hampers it's handling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

You may need to recharge your shocks or check the swingam bearings
I have had my rex on all sorts of twiaty roads in the US and multiple track days on several different tracks and no issues here and anyone that has ridden with me will let you know I dont just cruise

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I have a Rick Mayer custom seat on mine and have done several 1000 mile days with no issue at all, I used to ride it from NB to Atlanta GA once a month a few years back.
I tried the stock seat, a modified stock seat, a Sargent seat, and a Wog... After four tries I just gave up. I think it was more ergonomics than saddle cushioning.

I tried the stock seat, a modified stock seat, a Sargent seat, and a Wog... After four tries I just gave up. I think it was more ergonomics than saddle cushioning.

I had to mod my stock seat for fit and feel, as well, but it worked out great. At 5'9", the ergos work well for me.

Exactly! I look forward to hitting the 100,000-mile mark on mine someday. This is, without question, the most enjoyable motorcycle I've ever owned.

0001-FtDavis1010.jpg

How does the ZRX compare to say the Ninja 1000 (ABS) now with integrated luggage in terms of handling and performance?

RB

I would guess the new Ninja should be a sharper handling bike than a stock ZRX, saying that a stock ZRX is a rare bird.

Most of us have done some suspension work from just upgraded fork internals to full on ZX14 front ends and ohlins rear shocks those should be about equal.

Givi luggage is easy to add but the wind protection will not be close unless you do the fairing from the European S model

How does the ZRX compare to say the Ninja 1000 (ABS) now with integrated luggage in terms of handling and performance?

I haven't ridden a new Z1000, but I have ridden a 2003 Z1000. It was sharper, stiffer, and more nimble than my Rex (and about as stable).

Like Bud said, most of us mod our suspension. I changed my Rex's steering geometry and upgraded my internals in the front forks. It was a bit of a trad-off in that the bike turns a little slower now, but is more sure-footed during aggressive riding. Overall, it made a huge difference.

:thumb:

Back