• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Challenge training ride 2: Austin, Sunday, Feb 23

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
Time for one last training ride for the upcoming challenge events at Uncle's Around the Bend.

I've plotted out a 250 mile loop course of the hill country that includes a low water crossing of the Colorado River. I picked this particular route to help my buddy Jammin' Jerry get over his phobia of slick, low water crossings. :trust:

I'm extending an open invitation to any/all that would like to join me.

Meet at the convenience store at the corner of Hamilton Pool Road and Hwy 12 at 9:20 am. Stands up at 9:30 am.

Our route will run northwest and will consist of both paved and dirt roads, suitable for any adventure bike.

There is a bypass for anyone who doesn't want to attempt the Colorado River crossing.

We won't be riding fast (or slow) but we will be riding briskly and steadily, with fewer stops than we normally take during a typical day ride. I am riding my DRZ so on the paved section won't be riding faster than 70 mph.

We will stop somewhere for lunch if we make good time or a snack if we have a few too many stops/delays.

There are multiple opportunities for gas stops along the route.

If enough riders show up we will divide into multiple groups.

If you want the route for use with your gps, send your email address to me and I will send it to you.

I'm so snakebit lately on getting any organized rides in that I hesitate to say anything. But I do have the DR running again and it should be inspected by then. And as of right now nothing else is planned for that day. So I'm a maybe :headbang:

Rick,

You might consider meeting us mid-route, near Burnet or Marble Falls. It could spare you from some highway riding.

Rick,

You might consider meeting us mid-route, near Burnet or Marble Falls. It could spare you from some highway riding.

If not that , we might just trailer down to the start point like I have done in the past so we can do the complete ride with yall :rider:

If not that , we might just trailer down to the start point like I have done in the past so we can do the complete ride with yall :rider:

Trailering down would work. The convenient store has a big parking lot so as long as they don't mind you leaving the trailer there you would be good to go.

Or you could trailer to the old meeting place (Jim's Restaurant) and ride the few miles from there to the meeting point.

Last edited:
Rick, my 400 is up on the stand, waiting for the rear shock to come back from Cogent Dynamics. Can you just bring that Versys for me to borrow for the day? Those slick water crossings scare me on the Tiger. :trust:

Rick, my 400 is up on the stand, waiting for the rear shock to come back from Cogent Dynamics. Can you just bring that Versys for me to borrow for the day? Those slick water crossings scare me on the Tiger. :trust:

I sold the Versys Sat night or I would have let you no problem :lol2:
You can just ride and trash my Tenere if you want :rofl: NNNOOOTTT

dy6agega.jpg

I think this is what the route looks like, using Rich's file and MotionGPX

Rick,

Clark and I are going to meet yall in Marble Falls Sunday morning . I know it tough but try and give me an approx time and location there .
thanks

Clark and I are going to meet yall in Marble Falls Sunday morning . I know it tough but try and give me an approx time and location there .
thanks

I'm thinking we will pass through Marble Falls around 10:30-11 am.

Looks like kiddo taxi duty has been taken care of for sunday, so there's a good chance I could make this one...if I can actually get some work done the next couple days so I don't have to go to the office Sunday...

I'm thinking we will pass through Marble Falls around 10:30-11 am.

Clark and I will meet you in Marble Falls at the Hill Country Inn at that time or another location if its better for you ...:rider:

Back