• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!
  • The Vendor forum is for users that wish to offer their services or products to the TWT Community. Creation of a new thread is limited to users that are members of the TWT Vendor usergroup. Contact Tourmeister to join this usergroup. Vendors may create ONE thread to promote their business. They will still be able to edit and reply to their thread, and reply to anyone else's, but they are limited to one thread. Regular users can reply to any existing thread. Vendors should strive to keep all of their business related posting in this thread.

MSF Dirt Bike Class

Don't let Rael fool you. AFTER I convinced the group this WASN'T a track day, and speed would not be in triple digits, that standing on the pegs was OK, that we do not drag a knee in the corners, that rear wheel spin is OK, that we keep our feet on the pegs...even in the turns. You get the idea....there was the added challenge of "mind set" reset.

WE had a great day, it was fun with 5 students, folks that got along well together and would poke fun at each other. I love to watch the skill levels improve as the day, and degree of difficulty, progresses. This group was fun to be a part of, thank you for letting me be a part of your day.

PS No Bikes were damaged in this class, no students were MedEvac'ed out (one disclaimer...I think ALL students were exhausted.)

I forgot to add that the class was just about the most fun I've had on two wheels in a long time!

Thanks again Brad!

i want to take this class too. i work every other weekend so timing is everything. what's going on at hidden falls? i need to look you up on FB Mr.Brad. do you post schools on any other forum? RDS?

Check with my facebook page. Because this is such a lucrative business.... or just give me a call. Also RDS is where I usually hang out online. I have generated a lot of interest on this site, it is nice.

I wanted to see what they were doing. They were less than friendly...if you want to know then take the class. If ANYONE wants to watch my class without paying...please come on in, my bet is you will find it so much fun you will want to ride with me in the next class.

My bad I guess.

:tab Glad to see people getting interested in the classes Brad! :clap: We just did a kids weekend at BluebonnetMX over near Lake Somerville and I was thinking how cool it would be to do a similar weekend but have you do a class at the same time for the kids. My only thought was that having a wide range of experience might make it difficult to have everyone in the same class. Have you done much work with young kids, like say from 10 down to 5/6 years old?

Brad, would you consider doing half day classes?

I would be interested in doing one of these classes.

We stopped by Hidden Falls on Saturday just to get some info since we were in the area.

???half day?? do you want 2 days...to get the whole enchilada, or just 1/2 day and get to the hard stuff without the MSF curriculum build up to more advanced techniques?

Yes to the 2 day 1/2 each day (there would be an extra day charge for the park)
NO to the second scenario, that would require a deviation from the MSF protocal.
HOWEVER, catch me at a "clinic" like at Roll The Bones, and I may be doing something you are interested in..and they are free. I did riding in sand at last roll the bones, and weight shift at one of the camp outs at the Ghost ranch. If you have a technique you are interested in learning (and I know it) we might incorporate it at an event.

Scott

Call me, I have experience with kids, we may be able to work out a "clinic" type program. Kids are such fun. Doing the weave, or a small offset weave, standing on the pegs is a good exercise for kids...there are others depending on the location.

Call me if I can help with your next peogram.

Wow! I just got in from Brad's class. It was a full day of step by step learning. I believe I got most of the basics down. Still have to learn to keep my speed up, especially when climbing up a trail with ledges. His patience is outstanding, for example when it comes restarting his Honda after I stalled it many times. After half a day on his KTM, I know what 14 inches of quality suspension travel and a strong motor mean on rough ground. Orange Koolaide is a winner. Brad is a great teacher and believes in what he is doing. He kept working with me on the parts I had trouble with until I improved (i.e. 15' offset weave, climbing a rocky slope). His instruction is a great way to get grounded in proper bike handling techniques on dirt roads and some that hardly qualify. IMHO, Hidden Falls works well for his instruction. A large parking lot with a surface of gravel, some sand sections, and rocks is used for the basics. The fun trail ride later was gnarly at the time to this beginner but I realized later that I have acquired basic dirt bike skills in a short time. With proper techniques and the KTM, maybe they weren't all that gnarly after all. OK, to you seasoned veterans, Brad didn't take me anywhere he thought I couldn't handle. I did see a rocky scar that went right up a Texas hill/mountain. Not for me.

If you are planning on taking Brad's course, get a few friends to come with you. Share the fun and stories.

I used my deer skin gloves more than once skidding on the ground. No injuries, just positive reinforcement to do it right.

Last edited:
Wow! I just got in from Brad's class. It was a full day of step by step learning. I believe I got most of the basics down. Still have to learn to keep my speed up, especially when climbing up a trail with ledges. His patience is outstanding, for example when it comes restarting his Honda after I stalled it many times. After half a day on his KTM, I know what 14 inches of quality suspension travel and a strong motor mean on rough ground. Orange Koolaide is a winner. Brad is a great teacher and believes in what he is doing. He kept working with me on the parts I had trouble with until I improved (i.e. 15' offset weave, climbing a rocky slope). His instruction is a great way to get grounded in proper bike handling techniques on dirt roads and some that hardly qualify. IMHO, Hidden Falls works well for his instruction. A large parking lot with a surface of gravel, some sand sections, and rocks is used for the basics. The fun trail ride later was gnarly at the time to this beginner but I realized later that I have acquired basic dirt bike skills in a short time. With proper techniques and the KTM, maybe they weren't all that gnarly after all. OK, to you seasoned veterans, Brad didn't take me anywhere he thought I couldn't handle. I did see on rocky scar that went right up a Texas hill/mountain. Not for me.

If you are planning on taking Brad's course, get a few friends to come with you. Share the fun and stories.

I used my deer skin gloves more than once skidding on the ground. No injuries, just positive reinforcement to do it right.

Sound like your ready to do the Adventure Challenge again. :mrgreen:

Dave, yes, I should be better prepared next time. Learned some basics like shifting my weight while on the pegs that I'll have to practice, keeping my speed up, watching where I want to go rather than where I don't., etc. Deep gravel and sand I still need to get comfortable on. I'll bet you have some proper 50/50 tires next year :) I may too.

Watch out. That KTM will spoil you from other bikes. If you are riding the 10 off road, you need to practice on that bike now that you have learned some basic skills.

Sand and gravel I love... now mud... :wary: :eek2:

And yes... the KTM will spoil you. Smaller and lighter bikes will also spoil you. I had a blast ripping around an MX track this past weekend on our little XR80R. The KTM was fun as well, but it is just a much bigger and heavier bike, better for DS riding though. But the XR is great for learning on.

Sand and gravel I love... now mud... :wary: :eek2:

And yes... the KTM will spoil you. Smaller and lighter bikes will also spoil you. I had a blast ripping around an MX track this past weekend on our little XR80R. The KTM was fun as well, but it is just a much bigger and heavier bike, better for DS riding though. But the XR is great for learning on.

Watch out. That KTM will spoil you from other bikes. If you are riding the 10 off road, you need to practice on that bike now that you have learned some basic skills.

I rode my Super Tenere into town today to get a recall done. It felt heavy, very heavy, sluggish, with a soft suspension, and heavy. Great highway bike, smooth, and comfortable but heavy. The KTM was taunt, quick, on my tippy toes tall, loud, indestructable, and snort 'n ready.

Brad suggested I return with the Tenere to train on it. I am hesitant. It's so heavy when it's laying on my leg or foot. Still have a knot where the pannier landed on my leg during the Adventure Challenge. I lost control of the KTM around six times and not once did it land on me. Riding on the Tenere up that hill with the tricky (for me) line over the multiple ledges worries me. I'll probably take the KLR.

Deep gravel...one of the things Brad corrected me on was for not keeping my legs tight against the tank when on the pegs. That and speed will be my friends. The third time I fell in the deep gravel I was on the pegs but didn't have my legs tight against the tank. One of the riders told me that my left leg bounced off the peg and it was all over after that.

Robert

Back