• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2014 East TX 500

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
This thread no longer has any planning discussion. Go here:

South group ride planning: http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97356

North group ride planning: http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97360

I know March isn't even over, but I am part of a production (shameless plug: http://the5dragondaughter.com/) and our guy that takes care of bookings is already looking at shows in Sep & Oct.

I would very much like to do the East TX 500 this year. I've tried and missed the last two years (can't say I'm upset about last year after the pics) and would love to make it this year. :rider:

To that end, can we start talking about dates? RTB 5 is Oct 24-26 and I think this should not be on a back to back weekend with that.

For those that are new, I am not an organizer, nor do I know anything about this ride other than what has been posted in previous years threads.

Discuss.

Planning on the 450 in two days. Might try and thumb a ride out there. :)

Signatures ???? We don't need no stinking signatures !!!!!

Thanks. I was starting to think that, but I didn't want to say anything because I was afraid it would come across as whiny and pissy.

Thanks. I was starting to think that, but I didn't want to say anything because I was afraid it would come across as whiny and pissy.

Backstory- I unintentionally hijacked the thread, called myself out, and had Tourmeister split the thread. There are some missing posts that would make the above make sense.

Party on, Wayne.

Sorry for the my contribution to the hijack.

The ET450 is a great ride. Last year was a mess with the rain, making some areas muddy. There are not to many areas that have the clay on the roads, it is mostly sand that packs with the rain for great riding and the muddy areas are bad. If there is no rain and it is dry, lot of deep sand and dust.

There are two spots with the sticky mud that stopped most of the ride. The first is 2565 between 287 and Colmsneil. Sadly it caught the big group coming counter clockwise and could have easily been avoided by taking 287 to the south end of 2565 and turning back north to 2570. We skipped this section when we spotted RollingJ's bike sitting near the start of the mud. Well we kind of skipped it. Doug finally made it through on his KTM 500. Anarchy toasted the clutch on his 690 in the same place.

The other section is on 3325 between Sugar Creek and Rockland. Taking 69 between Rockland and Colmsneil will miss that section. Doug hit it first and fast, making it to the top of the hill in one go. Anarchy and Kevin got stuck a couple of times. I managed to get through it in one go only because I had walked it helping to get the KLR and the KTM out of the mud.

Other than that the sand pack was superb with all the rain.

One other thing about the ET450, try to plan when it is not hunting season. You are avoiding the hunters which means there will be less traffic on the roads and the deer will be less likely to run in front of you. Anybody ever hit a deer?[/QUOTE]

I second the motion to avoid hunting season.
NOT a great idea to go parading dozens of noisy dirt bikes down formerly quiet peaceful dirt roads that run through the middle of prime hunting areas.
Some folks don't appreciate having all their game spooked away. When this happens, we riders become the only remaining moving target! :eek2:

Man I was just thinking about this, this last weekend!:rofl:
(Just throwing ideas out there to see what sticks...) What about doing it in May? 1st week in June?
As a side note.... As soon as I see a clear weekend (no rain) I plain on riding the Rusk to Beans run, ride out of Tyler Fri after work to rusk KOA-camp-INJOY THE RIDE to Beans Sat. Sun open for what-ever.:rider:

(Just throwing ideas out there to see what sticks...) What about doing it in May? 1st week in June?
As a side note.... As soon as I see a clear weekend (no rain) I plain on riding the Rusk to Beans run, ride out of Tyler Fri after work to rusk KOA-camp-INJOY THE RIDE to Beans Sat. Sun open for what-ever.:rider:

I'm down for an earlier in the year run. Keep me posted.

Earlier in the year wouldn't be bad.

I call dibs on July 26-27 for the ET750, the 'extended version' of the ET450 (I don't call the 450 the 500 because the original tracks did not include the out and back section to/from Livingston).

I was trying to keep the dates somewhat separated as to allow people to ride both if they so desired. It's a totally different type of ride. 750 over 2 days and you have to keep moving vs. 450 over 3 days and there's lots of time to chill.

I'm not against earlier either. Is Memorial Day weekend out? Us 8-5ers don't have to burn a vacation day then. It could also equal more traffic on the trail possibly (being a newb I have no idea). Being a northern transplant, spring or fall would be my preference as opposed to the summer.

I would also be ok with it being the same weekend as last year. As long as no one orders up rain again.

New guy interested in this East TX stuff. Where could I find details surrounding this year's ride? Also looking for some background on the ride itself (% off road, pace, groupings, etc). Looks like a fun event.

My background: 50 year old with solid off and on-road experience. DS ride is a 2002 DR650 I picked up about a year ago. (Off road scoot is an '11 300 XCW.) I'm only 150 lbs in my birthday suit so the DR suspension is adequate (but just barely over semi-technical singletrack). Mechanical skills limited to oil changes and two-stroke top ends, so there's a financial incentive for anyone willing to assist with on-trail tire issues.

Weave

New guy interested in this East TX stuff. Where could I find details surrounding this year's ride? Also looking for some background on the ride itself (% off road, pace, groupings, etc). Looks like a fun event.

My background: 50 year old with solid off and on-road experience. DS ride is a 2002 DR650 I picked up about a year ago. (Off road scoot is an '11 300 XCW.) I'm only 150 lbs in my birthday suit so the DR suspension is adequate (but just barely over semi-technical singletrack). Mechanical skills limited to oil changes and two-stroke top ends, so there's a financial incentive for anyone willing to assist with on-trail tire issues.

Weave

Welcome. It looks like there will be two and maybe three rides this year. Traditionally this ride is held in the fall and was about 450 miles. Changes to the route have made it closer to 500 miles over three days. There is no formal organization other than what you see on this thread and the ET750 thread elsewhere on the forum. Riders tend to group themselves with other riders with like interests (read speed.) Joining a group is easy, just post up that you looking for a group then make contacts as time nears.

The ET is held on public roadways, logging roads and NFS roads across the eastern part of the state. Starting in Livingston or Moscow, the track runs across to Beans Camp on Toledo Bend on day 1, Over to Rusk on day 2 and back down to Moscow on day 3. Quality and conditions of the roads will vary greatly from year to year depending on recent weather. Generally a rider can expect either wheel sucking mud or deep sugar sand as the worst of the worst, depending on the year. A very low percentage of the track is on tarmac. Some groups have run it in reverse starting in Rusk and groups have run it in one day.

GPX files of the various routes can be found on previous years threads. Rather than try to list all the threads here you may want to search "ET450" or "ET500" in Upcoming Rides or After the Ride using Google with the additional search string "site:twtex.com". This should give you a good history of the ride and details of what to expect.

DR650 should handle this ride well. Plan on having about 120 miles between gas stops for convenience although you can get by on 80. You'll find information about the various conditions, lodging, camping and other insights into the ride on the After the Ride threads.

m

Weave

I think this may be the planning thread. It is not a "sponsored" event, just a bunch of guys coming together and one usually takes the initiative to get a support vehicle/driver lined up.

Past year ride reports:

2013 - mudfest, not the norm:
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88998&highlight=eastex

2012:
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78126&highlight=east+texas+450

2011:
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66535&highlight=eastex

2010:
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51678&highlight=eastex

Thanks, guys. This is exactly the kind of riding I'm looking for. I'll need to update the tires (currently running an 80/20 pattern), but it's a good excuse to inspect the tubes as well.

I'll continue to check this thread for updates. Thanks again, and I look forward to riding the ET 450/500 soon.

Weave

Back