• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Switching from Cruiser to Sport

Reaction score
I'm looking for some guys who have made this switch from a cruiser to a sport bike. What are some pro's and con's. I don't plan on making this switch for a long time but I think I have that mentality of when the time is right I will switch to a sport bike. I love cruisers. I love my Boulevard and the sound and ride of this machine. I told myself I would never get on a sport bike or own one but I don't think I can resist the sexiness of some sport bikes. I don't think I will sell my Boulevard when it comes time and just add another bike to my collection. Just looking for some insight from some people who have made this switch.

You may consider a Sport Touring, less dramatic change of riding position.

Options:
FJR 1300
ST 1300
R1200RT
VFR
And others...

Of course if you have your sight on a true Sport bike, you should try one for a short ride and see how you feel about the position.

You may consider a Sport Touring, less dramatic change of riding position.

Options:
FJR 1300
ST 1300
R1200RT
VFR
And others...

Of course if you have your sight on a true Sport bike, you should try one for a short ride and see how you feel about the position.

I like what cdc is saying here. There is a big difference between bikes even of the same category. When you decide to narrow it down,try to ride several models you are interested in and see how comfortable you are on it. Can you touch the ground okay? Does it feel cramped to you? Is the bar reach seem alright? These are all questions that you might take into account.

Now clip on handle bars and cruiser style bars are the two opposite sides of the spectrum. If you are comfortable with the pull back style bars....your back might not enjoy so much the lower sport bike handle bar.

Try one on when you get closer to buying and see how you feel on it and that will help narrow down the model that is right for you.

A sport touring bike like cdc said might be just what the doctor ordered.

Come to one of the ride to eat events there is always 20 or so bikes to check out and most owners will let you at least sit on them. KP

I'm looking for some guys who have made this switch from a cruiser to a sport bike. What are some pro's and con's. I don't plan on making this switch for a long time but I think I have that mentality of when the time is right I will switch to a sport bike. I love cruisers. I love my Boulevard and the sound and ride of this machine. I told myself I would never get on a sport bike or own one but I don't think I can resist the sexiness of some sport bikes. I don't think I will sell my Boulevard when it comes time and just add another bike to my collection. Just looking for some insight from some people who have made this switch.

You'll need to change your TWT name.

You'll need to change your TWT name.

Not if he gets one of these bad boys:
KTM-1190-RC8-R-2013-rider.jpg

Or these:
ktm-1290-super-duke-r-official-pics-and-specs-surface-photo-gallery_15.jpg

If you're going to keep your current ride, then a Sport Bike will make a fun addition. Sport Bikes are not conducive to big miles although some tough guys can tour on them just fine. If you plan on selling the Lazy-Boy and just have one ride then I think CDC hit the nail on the head with an ST style scoot or one of the big DS bikes like the GS, Tenere, Strom or the like.

Sport Bikes are big fun...... :trust:

I have both! Currently a Royal Star Venture for cruising (had a Honda Valkyrie before that) and a BMW R1100S for sporty riding (had a CBR1000RR before that).

I enjoy riding both very much. Just depends on the mood and the route. No way I could do it all with one bike.

Although not a “sport bike” I did swap out the Honda shadow for a VFR Interceptor. The biggest thing for me was the change in handling. It is amazing; however, there is a slight learning curve. Also, the power that is available is available at a lot faster rate. :rider:

I have a V-strom now and so far it's my favorite of all of them.

How about a ZRX Leon for MR. Rumble?http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/4606544201.html

First generation Concours is comfortable and cheap compared to the newer more modern motorcycles. $3000-$5000 for most posted lately.

A Suzuki Bandit,Yamaha FZ,Honda Interceptor,tons of stuff out there.

A ZRX would be a great cross over, lots of low end torque, that D&D exhaust would be loud like straight pipes, comfortable semi kinda sporting handling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I went from a Honda Shadow 750 to the Triumph Sprint ST
I woundlt mind having the Shadow still for an "around town bike" but for anything other that that, the Sprint is miles better.

Sit on the sportbikes. Take them for test rides. Cruisers are generally one-size-fits-most, and parts can be swapped to adapt to taller or shorter riders... sportbikes generally are one-size-fits-few and vary broadly in riding position, and sometimes have fewer options for adjustment or require pricey parts to become adjustable/adjusted. Try them on until you find one that fits, and remember, it's like a new shoe- as you get broken in to it, it'll be easier and more comfortable to ride. Until then, expect sore muscles in unexpected places. ;)

Good luck! I want a sportbike for the track pretty badly but I am a bit large to be perched on the back of one.

I agree on the sport touring...ive had a ZRX...Honda 919 and my current bike a Yamaha FZ1....its dang near like an R1 with handlebars...with my mods its up to around 150 RWHP...any of these are great bikes and comfortable...your welcome to come ride the Honda if you want to see if a sport tourer is for you...

Im considering selling my Honda 919 if you are anyone would be interested

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 164
I go back and forth between different kinds of bikes a lot so I'll add a few words (please remember: this is just one guy's opinion). A cruiser isn't as good for touring as some people might think. Almost all of your body's weight is on your posterior and that can get old really quickly. On a sportbike your legs become a part of the suspension (stay on the balls of your feet, don't ride flat-footed), so riding longer distances is not as crazy as it may seem. Of course, on a sportbike, a lot of your upper body weight is placed on your wrists and that can suck, but risers (like Helibars) can mitigate this a bit. Wind blast while traveling at speed can take some of that weight off your wrists and it will help you to not melt in the summer heat, but that exposure to the elements has its drawbacks, too (bugs, rocks, rain). Most Texas sized folks will feel more than a bit scrunched up on a sportbike and that discomfort increases the older you get. Lowering the foot pegs can help with cramped knees but it won't work miracles. There are sportbikes made for us bigger fellas (I hear the K1300S, R1, RC8, ZX14 are good) so be sure to try before you buy. Cruisers have a bit of room to carry extra gear, a sportbike not so much. A cruiser can accommodate a passenger fairly comfortably, two-up on a sportbike is best limited to life/death emergencies (but exceptions may apply). Newsflash: sportbikes are very powerful and this is LOTS of fun. However, operating one at more than, say, 1/10th of its potential, at ANY time, on a public road can get you into trouble. Restraint is the operative word here. Don't give in to the dark side- destroy you it may. For the days when you just want to go slow, take it easy and soak everything in: a cruiser is the better bet. Both have their place. What I like best about a sportbike is also what I like best about a cruiser: neither one is a compromise. They are designed to one thing well (and they usually do exactly that). Gotta go- the missus says dinner's ready. That's the best compare/contrast I can do for now.

One of the biggest issues you might have to contend w/ when making this type of a switch is tip in. One of the reasons cruisers have such a broad appeal is that their slow, lazy and bottom heavy feel makes many riders comfortable and confident that they will enjoy their time in the saddle, as it were. A sports bike takes that easy comfortable feeling away immediately, as soon as the bike starts moving. Sports bikes b/c of their purpose and design are meant to turn lighting fast and to translate every rider impluse into an action. This gives anyone unaccustomed to this change a tipsy, top heavy and unbalanced feeling. This can make for quite an uneasy feeling ride.

Also before making this type of a change I would consider something I have learned/noticed when attending/assisted BRC classes. If you as a rider push away from the handle bars in an effort to straighten your arms as you're about to enter the turn as though in an effort to stay or delay the turn I'd stay with your cruiser, if instead you grab ahold of your handle bars and pull forward as though in an effort to dig into the turn then a sports bike might be for you.

Hope this helps. Either way isn't it great to have this type of a disease and these types of decisions to make.

Speaking from personal experience ...

List of things a cruiser rider will have to get used to:

• Brakes that work well
  • Steering geometry that works well
  • Suspension that works well
  • Ergonomic design (overall better comfort on many sport tourers for putting miles behind you)
  • Longer range (many cruisers seem to have small range on the tanks)
  • Better luggage choices
  • Lofting the front tire/wheelies
  • Reduced width of the Chicken Strips
  • Preference for function over fashion in gear choices

Things that won't change:

• Big grin when riding (unless a victim of Cruiser-Face)
  • Joy of being "In The Wind"
  • Sharing tales of adventure with riding buds
  • Farkles

I made the transition as follows: Virago to Kawasaki ZR7 to Ducati ST3s.

I would agree with a lot of what others have said so I'll focus on how it changed me. On the Virago I did a lot of riding just looking at scenery and well...cruising.
Now I ride faster yet I feel much safer because I'm now focused on the road, speed, corner speed, etc. The suspension on the ST is superior to my previous bikes and so are the brakes.

Once you go sport you will never go back.

Check out Sodapop's 2007 VFR that is up for sale. A bit more sport than touring.

Back