• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

where to go

Reaction score
A job change leaves me with some free time. After tomorrow, I don't have anywhere I have to be until August 25th. Where to go? Cooler temps and I'll probably haul my way out of Texas. Oh yeah, street bike so paved only.

Colorado is my first thought. or is it too rainy this time of year?
Something better?

North Arkansas & Southern Missouri are waiting to take your gas money
in exchange for fun, get on any non interstate road from I-40 to St Louis and you should enjoy yourself

New Mexico - Colorado. It's hot and humid in Arkansas. I towed to Cimarron and started the two wheel venture there.

I think Arkansas is a great idea. Won't be as crowded as Colorado. I'd go to Colorado in September.

New Mexico - Colorado. It's hot and humid in Arkansas. I towed to Cimarron and started the two wheel venture there.

Phil this would be my selection also. Northern New Mexico and Colorado are my Utopia. Look at all the others that have headed that way in the last two years. More than Arkansas and others combined I would say. I am sure you have been before but we can help with the best route and where to stay and eat if you need assistance. Man I am jealous already. TimS and others have had adventures in that region just this year and enjoyed themselves. Where ever you go have a great time and ride safe. Will you be camping or moteling it? Did I mention that I am jealous? Have a safe wonderful time which ever direction you head. Need a fun route I can help. KP

I read the ride report on the FZ board. Sort of what I'm thinking... haul out of Texas, do a loop, haul back. I definitely want to get back to 141 in Colorado, I missed it last year. Maybe plan a trip with no plans. Maybe Utah, probably too hot there, isn't it?

My Colorado riding buddies left today for Montana and Idaho, but that's probably out of reach. And they didn't exactly invite me.

Think I'll spoon on the PR4's I have in the garage tomorrow morning while it's still cool(er), look at the long range forecasts, and head north and west on Thursday or Friday.

Last edited:
I just got back from a week in the Angel Fire area. I think the high temp was mid to upper 70's, overnight lows upper 40's and low 50's. Saw rain nearly every day but only got wet once! Avoid Taos and Red River if you don't like crowds. I have hauled to Sipipu and left the trailer there … makes a great starting point.:rider: I love Arkansas too but they can be nearly as hot as we are during the day:giveup:

Maybe plan a trip with no plans. Maybe Utah, probably too hot there, isn't it?

My Colorado riding buddies left today for Montana and Idaho, but that's probably out of reach. And they didn't exactly invite me.

Hey Phil,

I have not heard from you in several years. Since you have ample time, I would go to Wyoming - hit the Road to the Sun in Montana, and ride into Banff just across the border located in Canada. The Candadian Rockies are superb. Mike or O_Matic did that trip in two weeks last month. You might ask him about suggested routes. If you skip Canada, you can do Idaho, which has many great roads too.

You'll need a passport to go into Canada.

RB

Hey Fred,

Yeah, I didn't think I was going to be able to take a trip this year. Probably won't go as far as Wyoming or Canada. New Mexico, Colorado, maybe Utah.

Yeah, I didn't think I was going to be able to take a trip this year. Probably won't go as far as Wyoming or Canada. New Mexico, Colorado, maybe Utah.

The updated Butler Maps might be the place to start. You might throw into the mix, the Coronado Trail on the way back to Texas if you do a a big western states loop. New Mexico has received quite a bit of rain recently and I have heard very positive comments from other riders recently.

RB

Reservation made in Tucumcari. Old retro hotel on Rte 66. I can park the truck there "at your own risk".
http://blueswallowmotel.com/

I'll unload the bike there and start out Friday morning. Haven't decided on the second stop yet.

Reservation made in Tucumcari. Old retro hotel on Rte 66. I can park the truck there "at your own risk".
http://blueswallowmotel.com/

I'll unload the bike there and start out Friday morning. Haven't decided on the second stop yet.

Here is my idea on how to go and where the next stop could be. Good clean motel and two places to chow down at below.

I40 from the Blueswallow to 84. Take 84 north to Las Vegas then take 518 to Mora. Next 434 to 38 the enchanted circle up and past Questa. From Questa go south till 64. 64 north west to Chama,NM. Stay the night at the Branding Iron Motel and if you feel froggy take the Cumbres@Toltec train ride in the morning to see some "behind the scenes territories." Well worth the money and time. The High Country Restaurant was pretty good and there was a little place that looks like a house that had a killer breakfast but I cannot remember the name of the cafe. Have fun and ride safe. If you need help on which train ride to take I can help with that also. KP

I read the ride report on the FZ board. Sort of what I'm thinking... haul out of Texas, do a loop, haul back. I definitely want to get back to 141 in Colorado, I missed it last year. Maybe plan a trip with no plans. Maybe Utah, probably too hot there, isn't it?

Think I'll spoon on the PR4's I have in the garage tomorrow morning while it's still cool(er), look at the long range forecasts, and head north and west on Thursday or Friday.

That trip was great, take LOTS of water and plan on some serious UV sunshine protection. NM is high desert and Colorado is wide open country.We did big miles every day, stay alert as the scenery will have your attention. Enjoy !!

Million Dollar Highway (550) if you get that far highly advised.

Probably won't be much of a report since I rarely stop to take pics, so I'll update here.

Arrived at the Blueswallow Motel in Tucumcari around 6pm local time.
Older place, room I had was small but clean. Bed sheets and towels were several grades above standard hotel fare. For $70, I highly recommend.
Taco plate at the Pow Wow diner was very good. Breakfast at Kix was also. At breakfast, I met two riders from Dallas heading home. On a Tenere and a Strom. One(Steve?) said he was on this forum, but read more than he posted.

Rode 518,75,76,503,4 and slabbed 550 to Cortez, where I am now. 508 miles total.Got here about 6:15 local time. Long day.
The White Eagle in Cortez , very clean, large rooms, highly recommend. Also $70.

Gunnison today? I'm thinking 141, Black Canyon, and see what else motivates me.

Probably won't be much of a report since I rarely stop to take pics, so I'll update here.

Arrived at the Blueswallow Motel in Tucumcari around 6pm local time.
Older place, room I had was small but clean. Bed sheets and towels were several grades above standard hotel fare. For $70, I highly recommend.
Taco plate at the Pow Wow diner was very good. Breakfast at Kix was also. At breakfast, I met two riders from Dallas heading home. On a Tenere and a Strom. One(Steve?) said he was on this forum, but read more than he posted.

Rode 518,75,76,503,4 and slabbed 550 to Cortez, where I am now. 508 miles total.Got here about 6:15 local time. Long day.
The White Eagle in Cortez , very clean, large rooms, highly recommend. Also $70.

Gunnison today? I'm thinking 141, Black Canyon, and see what else motivates me.

Yes do the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Eat breakfast at the W Cafe in Gunnison.

Back