• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Help With MP3s

Reaction score
I took a little 400 mile ride over to East Texas on Saturday. I usually only travel with tunes on the Valkyrie(it's got a 4 speaker stereo), but I just bought a MP3-CD player(lets you put 8 or so hours on a single CD formatted in MP3) and some Koss Ear Buds(the noise reducing variety). So I put it in the right chest pocket of the Stitch, hopped on the VFR, and I was off. It was nice at first, but after I got up over a sustained 80 mph, it quit working. I stopped for gas, and it started working when I stopped. I took off again and the same thing happened. Checked the player and all seemed to be right. Took off again and the same thing happened. So I gave up and put in the usual ear plugs. Has this happened to anyone else? I have never had this problem with CDs on the Valkyrie. Is it possible that the electronics on the bike set up interference at this speed? OK you electrical engineers, show me the light, or did I just buy a piece of junk(MP3-CD player)?

i am betting that it has more to do with vibrations. Most CD players have a prblem with higher freqency vibs because their internal dampening cant handle it.

I'm personnaly don't think vibration could cause the MP3 to stop working, unless it was mounted directly on the bike, I use one myself (but the one that uses the small cd's) and never had any problems at all, maybe the player is defective??

Tourmeister,

The ride was great. A little colder than I had planned on. Supposed to be in the 50s & 60s, but wound up in the 40s and 50s. That's why I've got heated grips. If my hands are warm, I can keep going. I rode most of the roads from your East Texas Butt Burners. I missed the part about 330 being closed, but 21 was a real nice ride. Planned wrong & rode 1408 instead of 1012. But that's just a good reason to do it all again backwards.

It's a WAG on my part, but I'd try the nose cancelling earbuds on another player (your old cassette walkman or discman stashed in that drawer perhaps) and see if somehow the noise cancelling circuit is shutting you down? I've never heard of an MP3 being affected by vibration like that.

MP3's CD Player

Best regards Team:

I also use an MP3 CD Player/FM tunner (SONY D-NF610) and have the same problem, (using Helmet speakers) altough not very often. This problem is also refered as "Sound Skipping". I carry the player in my Tank Bag and from time to time stops working but only when is playing a CD, when the radio is in use it works very fine and also when I'm not using it on the bike. Just for the records I'm only using MP3 CD's have never tryed with a regular "music" CD. I'm pretty sure that the CD stop playing due the vibrations on the bike...altough we are talking "in-line" engine here not very "noticeable" vibrations compared with a V-Twin......

Due to this issue I'm thinking about going with the RioAudio CALI "Flash Memory" MP3 player.

http://www.digitalnetworksna.com/shop/_templates/item_main_Rio.asp?model=214&cat=53

I'm confused :-? Isn't the sound of your engine singing through the woods music enough to stir your soul? Why do you need an MP3 player? :-P

Adios,

mUSIC

Scott: I agree with you ...The sound of the engine at high revs is MUSIC...!!! But you can enhance the effect if you add some "Rock'n Roll"...!!!!!!! YEAH BABY...!!!!!!

I have compiled a special "mix" of MP3's just for riding...!!! It includes songs like:

Joe Satriani's - The Extremis & Can't Slow Down
Moby - Gone in 60 Seconds Theme
Kenny Loggins - Danger Zone
The Atari's - The Boys of Summer
Fire Inc - No Where Fast
Rolling Stones - Jumping Jack Flash, Satisfaction
and the list goes on.......... (long list)

Hey Leo:

I also have a Spanish Music MIx....!!!!! But so far no Mariachi Music.....Probably the closest thing will be Pilar Montenegro...!!!!

hot babe pic

[admin inserted link because image is too big for displaying here! 500 max width please ;-) ]

One word...iPod.

Yup, it is, but you get what you pay for. I currently have almost my entire CD collection ripped and it's all on my 20 gig.

The old 5 gig is now the wifes. :chug:

Daryl

I'm the guy who thinks all these farkles are out of place on a bike, remember :-) Heck, I don't even like LBS, ABS, TCS and LMNOP. 'Course I guess now that there's a Harley in the stable I could hide the earbuds under the doorag :roll:

I have four wheeled with the one in my Samurai, which is at least as rough as any road going bike. Even when it gets knocked off the dash.

Since it uses a laptop style mini-hard drive and a massive buffer, it's kinda impossible to make it "skip", much like a flash player.

Wanna borrow it at TWS? See if it does okay down the straight and into turn one? Guess you wouldn't want "Highway to Heck" on that playlist.

Yeehaw,

Daryl

Back