• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Copper Canyon

topes

Reaction score
The plan was to ride the 800 or so miles from Houston to El Paso. Of course, that didn’t happen. When we got to West Texas, the wind was blowing pretty dang hard to the east. As a matter of fact, we found out later, the KLRs were getting about 33-35 miles to the gallon riding into the stout head wind. Before we realized the gas mileage was that bad, both KLRs were on reserve in the middle of nowhere, West Texas. About 9 miles after both bikes were switched to reserve the reserve ran out. Both KLRs were laid down on their left sides to access those last drops of gas stuck on the right side of their tanks. The plan was to ride through the grass north of the westbound lanes to the feeder road and ride at about 45 mph down the feeder road to make good use of the last drops of gas. We got lucky and found a small gas station about five miles down the road. After filling up with gas and bottled water, Kevin got to looking at his tires and found about 10 thorns. He started pulling those thorns checking each hole to be sure the tire wasn’t leaking. The very last thorn he pulled had penetrated the tube.

67985248-M.jpg

About an hour and a half later and a new tube later, we were back on the road. Some quick calculations put us in El Paso after sunset. We decided to shack up in Fort Stockton rather than risk the West Texas deer. Besides that, we were fairly beat from the winds.

The next morning, the wind wasn’t nearly as bad and the gas mileage was back up to 45-50 mpg. The ride into El Paso was very pleasant with beautiful blue skies. After finding a motel near the Zargoza Crossing, we rode over the Zargoza Crossing into Juarez, Mexico to find paperwork for our ride to Copper Canyon. The permit facilities happened to be at the 20-mile checkpoint. Two of us were told the certified copy of our registration from the state of Texas was insufficient but they gave us the permit anyhow. The entire process took about 2 hours and was fairly painless.

After getting our permits we stopped for gas. I had ridden my GS cause I planned on riding 2-up and I had plenty of gas. Kevin and Jesse found it necessary to stop for gas at a Pemex on the way back to the Zargoza Crossing. It was hot, and I was being impatient. I took off before Kevin was ready and he ended up dropping his gloves without noticing. It wouldn’t have been a big deal but I was doing the navigating and Kevin hadn’t paid much attention on the way out to the 20-mile checkpoint. When Kevin realized he lost his gloves, he turned around and of course, the gloves were gone. (Much like they would have evaporated in Houston after being left behind.) Kevin was a bit pissed at me and of course the creeps who took his fancy motorcycle gloves.

After arriving back in Texas, we learned my nephew’s flight had been cancelled. We planned on picking him up at the El Paso Airport and taking off into Mexico. The next available flight would be the following day.

That evening, we went into Juarez looking for trouble. We ended up at a bar away from the center of town on a busy 4 lane one-way street. As we prepared to go inside, there was this intense noise bouncing off the walls of the surrounding three-four story buildings. It sounded like a 747 coming down the road. Seconds later, about 50 bikes screamed by at well over 100 mph. Most of the riders weren’t wearing helmets. Considering the normal craziness of the average Mexican large city, I can just imagine how many of these guys die on a regular basis.

We didn’t stay in Juarez very long, we got tired of looking for a decent bar and the traffic was a pain even in the middle of the night. After crossing back into El Paso we found a deserted city. Someone had rolled up the sidewalks and put out all the streetlights.

The next day, having a day to kill, we headed for White Sands. I’d been there before and it was fairly cool the second time around.

67985467-M.jpg

67998863-M.jpg

64916846-M.jpg

After leaving White Sands, we hurried back to El Paso and picked my nephew up from the airport. We got lucky and the helmet and jacket I brought fit him fairly well. He was fairly exhausted from the flight. We fed him and hauled him back to the motel.

Early the next morning we crossed back into Mexico and got my nephew’s visitor’s permit. No one asked to see the letters from his parents giving me permission to take him into Mexico.

67998954-M.jpg

After getting the permit we headed for Chihuahua and Copper Canyon.

67998965-M.jpg

About 50 miles into Mexico, my nephew decided it was time to stop to take a …… Well, you get the picture. I pointed off into the dunes and he started walking. As he walked I yelled out, “Hey, watch out for the rattle snakes.”

67998978-M.jpg

My nephew is autistic and he didn’t handle my warning all that well. Kevin was kind enough to do snake patrol while he took care of business.

67998982-M.jpg

The roads were fairly decent.

68002786-M.jpg

It wasn’t long before we saw a sign.

68002793-M.jpg

68002801-M.jpg

We ate seafood in Chihuahua and started heading for Copper Canyon. After heading out highway 16 from Chihuahua, we started to climb.

68002833-M.jpg

The temperature became very pleasant and the sun was glaring off my scratched visor. I opened the visor long enough to run into a swarm of bees. After making sure I was clear of the bees, I pulled over. I counted about 5 stings to my face. Luckily, the bees that crawled down into my jacket didn’t do any damage. My nephew didn’t get stung.

Here’s where we stopped to hunt down the remaining bees.

68002957-M.jpg

Kevin never passes up a good photo op.

68002912-M.jpg

There were miles and miles of stone hedges.

68002953-M.jpg

Preparing to pay our dues.

68002978-M.jpg

After arriving in Cuauhtemoc, we stopped for gas and Keegan, (The nephew,) promptly vomited. My first thought was that I’d already poisoned him with bad food. Seafood isn’t usually my first choice but we were tired of looking for a restaurant. The problem with that theory was that Keegan was the only one hurling seafood. We finally decided he had motion sickness. We found a motel and decided to wait and see if he was better by morning.

68002996-M.jpg

68003011-M.jpg

The motel was a bit expensive, $65.00, but the room was darn nice.

The next day, we headed for Creel. Keegan was hungry as **** when we stopped for lunch at a taco stand. He wolfed down 6 tacos. Luckily, those tacos would stay in his system.

Here I am pulling out to pass on the road to Creel.

68003042-M.jpg

Here’s how the poor people find adventure.

68057696-M.jpg

After arriving in Creel, we stayed at another fairly decent motel.

68057716-M.jpg

The hot water and the air conditioning worked well. The staff real friendly and curious about our ride.

68057723-M.jpg

68057715-M.jpg

You see all sorts of transportation in Creel:

68057718-M.jpg

Downtown Creel:

68057752-M.jpg

We weren’t the only Americano motorcyclists in the hood.

68057761-M.jpg

The following day, we lit out for Baltopilas:

68057781-M.jpg

68057782-M.jpg

68074100-M.jpg

Things got interesting when he hit the dirt:

68074167-M.jpg

68074191-M.jpg

At the bottom, we ran into this character. When asked why he was beating a drum, he told us, “I feel like it.” For a small fee, Keegan was allowed to share in the fun.

64916989-M.jpg

64916983-M.jpg

64917000-M.jpg

Here’s Kevin trying the water:

64917036-M.jpg

64919680-M.jpg

68074218-M.jpg

The Hotel Mary:

68077513-M.jpg

Downtown Baltopilas:

68077525-M.jpg

68077529-M.jpg

68077582-M.jpg

68077627-M.jpg

68077636-M.jpg

64919915-M.jpg

An old mission near Baltopilas:

64919816-M.jpg

64919836-M.jpg

64919861-M.jpg

64919880-M.jpg

64919889-M.jpg

64919937-M.jpg

Heading out of the canyon:

68081852-M.jpg

Keegan taking a nap while the rest of us change another flat on Kevin’s bike:

64919963-M.jpg

68081860-M.jpg

We ran into this crazy Englishman on the way out of the canyon. He bought that bike for $450 in the states and has been all over the US and Mexico. It was billowing smoke and only getting about 30 mpg but the guy could ride.

68081927-M.jpg

On the way out of Mexico, we met up with the guy driving this car at a rest stop.

68085984-M.jpg

He was friendly and even allowed us to take this photograph:

68086016-M.jpg

One of the natives:

68086003-L.jpg

Coming up to a checkpoint:

68086063-M.jpg

Back on US soil:

68086119-M.jpg

After arriving back in El Paso, we put Keegan on an airplane for San Francisco and headed back to Houston down Highway 90. It was a bit too windy for Big Brother to be watching:

68086142-M.jpg

The Pecos River:

68086278-M.jpg

Well, that’s the end…

Great pics and great reading! Thanks for sharing!

Good stuff thanks for sharing. So I guess Kevin finally got rid of that blue KLR for the Red one with whimpy tubes:lol2: ? Looks you guy's had fun.

dbdolan said:
Good stuff thanks for sharing. So I guess Kevin finally got rid of that blue KLR for the Red one with whimpy tubes:lol2: ? Looks you guy's had fun.

Well, I didn't mention that his battery also died. In retrospect, If we only had to deal with a dead battery and two flats, we did pretty darn good. (I'm glad it wasn't my bike.) I believe it's some sort of rule that someone has to get a flat.

:tab How totally cool that your nephew could go!! My nephew is Autistic as well. He does okay on an ATV as long as things stay pretty tame, but I don't think he could handle a road trip like that. I have often wished I could take him riding though. If I had something like a Goldwing it might be doable. The danger is in him forgetting to hold on. He's a great kid though and would really enjoy it I think.

Bill,

You could have called and asked, I guess the e-mail system is broke at work? Great Ride Report. Nice Photos, they brought back some nice memories

ta2240 said:
Bill,

You could have called and asked, I guess the e-mail system is broke at work? Great Ride Report. Nice Photos, they brought back some nice memories

Heck, I didn't know you had a new bike. :trust:

Tourmeister said:
:tab How totally cool that your nephew could go!! My nephew is Autistic as well. He does okay on an ATV as long as things stay pretty tame, but I don't think he could handle a road trip like that. I have often wished I could take him riding though. If I had something like a Goldwing it might be doable. The danger is in him forgetting to hold on. He's a great kid though and would really enjoy it I think.

I was a bit tense right before we dove off into Mexico. I kept thinking about that call. You know, that call one makes when they've just kilt their nephew. I knew I'd better bring him back safe. I knew I wasn't going to like living in Siberia and being on the run. I knew I weren't going to get no sympathy from any of the kin folk if the nephew got damaged. :trust:

Hey Bill :wave:

Nice report. Nice to see you could take your nephew with ya. It always make the trip a little special taking family along.

I'm dying for another CC run...especially now that I know not to pack like I'm going round the world:trust: However, I don't think we'll ever top the '03 run.

Got a gps track?

irondawg said:
Hey Bill :wave:

Nice report. Nice to see you could take your nephew with ya. It always make the trip a little special taking family along.

I'm dying for another CC run...especially now that I know not to pack like I'm going round the world:trust: However, I don't think we'll ever top the '03 run.

Got a gps track?

Hey Dawg! No, I don't think we will ever top the 03 run. I didn't keep tracks because all we did was the road to Baltopilas. I do have tracks from other trips if you need them. I didn't want to risk trying anything more difficult two up on a GS.

topes said:
Hey Dawg! No, I don't think we will ever top the 03 run. I didn't keep tracks because all we did was the road to Baltopilas. I do have tracks from other trips if you need them. I didn't want to risk trying anything more difficult two up on a GS.

Completely understand about risking it down there two up!! Still, goodonya for doing it!! :clap:

I might hit you up for some other MX gps tracks like the Del Rio to Presido run. I can't seem to find where I put the one you sent me a while back.

Back