• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Want to Buy 2002 GL1800 OEM seat

Reaction score
First Name
Nolan
I just got a new to me 2002 GL1800A that has a Corbin heated seat on it, and so far am not real impressed with the seat.
Heat does not work (I think it is a switch problem) and Corbin says they have nobody on staff that can help with their older style seat.
Comfort is OK at best, and just seems very hard to me, and the bump at the butt is very hard. Not as noticeable if I have the backrest on, but I find it harder to get on the bike with the tall backrest, so keep it off.

Just wondering if anyone here has a GL1800 seat laying around not being used that I could buy for a reasonable price (or if you wanted to trade me for my Corbin, maybe you would like it more than me).
Not sure what all years are interchangeable with the 2002, since I know there was a mild refresh in 2006 and another in 2012.

Blupupher - it takes a while for the Corbin seat to conform to your shape
- it is much firmer than a stock seat, but will be much more comfortable in the long run after you get some more miles on it.
With regard to stock replacement, I believe from what I see up for sale that 2001 to 2017 model seats will fit ok.

I mean the seat is not horrible, but I had no issues with the stock seat on the 1500, so was wanting to try an 1800 one.
I actually have more of an issue with the distance the bars are from me, need to find some risers for it.

Plus, I can't get the seat heaters to work. I pulled the seat off and they were connected, fuses were just fine. Power from the plug to the switch, just nothing happens when you turn on the switch.
I removed the switch and can get the lights to light up if I hook it up to a 12 v source, but only if I wire it "backwards" (seat is installed with ground to center and *** to one side, will not light up that way, but if *** on one side and neg of other, it does light up) ). Switch seems to work, just don't know why it does not work on the bike. I need to get my meter and play with it some to see if I can figure it out.
Like I said, I contacted Corbin, but that heated seat style has not been used in about 7 years, and the tech person said they have no more switches and no one there knows the wiring of it (I find that unlikely, but is what they said).

Love the bike over all though, need to bleed the rear brakes though, have a weird pulsing and sometimes rear pedal goes all the way down.

I've read on some of the Goldwing forums that there's a big difference in the GL1500 seats feel and riding position as compared to a GL1800 seat (stock or custom)

Rear brake issue is strange - I never noticed it, but hadn't ridden it much in last couple of years,also all of the brake recalls were done.

I’ve got a black leather Hartco seat if your intrested , the stock seat sucks on Hondas after a couple years . Also a trailer hitch and some filters . Package deal . Your close , you can try it before you buy it .

"need to bleed the rear brakes though, have a weird pulsing and sometimes rear pedal goes all the way down."
Found this info on brake bleeding procedure related to low pedal & rear pulsing/shudder that you may want to review, it has a couple of additional steps that purge air from all lines

Attachments

• GL1800 Brake Shudder Solved-DDF6B.pdf
    237.1 KB · Views: 61
Brakes sucked on my Valkrie at 2 years old , I swapped all the brake lines to stainless braided Teflon , the difference was mechanical model T ford to four wheel Kevlar pads on carbon disc . When I bought my 2002 1800 wing same thing brakes sucked . It had 18 different collapsed rubber brake hoses in the brake system , and nobody made a Teflon hose system for it , good brake hoses would have cost more than i paid for the bike . It went away .

need to bleed the rear brakes though, have a weird pulsing and sometimes rear pedal goes all the way down.
I had the same issue on my gl1800 and it went away after I bled all the brakes and anti dive valve. There’s an order you need to bleed them in, I attached a pic for it
63C72CCB-A73C-41BF-81C9-28E7B616ABBC.jpeg

Blupupher - it takes a while for the Corbin seat to conform to your shape
- it is much firmer than a stock seat, but will be much more comfortable in the long run after you get some more miles on it.
With regard to stock replacement, I believe from what I see up for sale that 2001 to 2017 model seats will fit ok.
Perhaps the Wing seat is different, but the Corbin on my Concours was like sitting on a brick, even after 25K+ miles. I hated that seat. The stock seat on my 2002 Wing has worked fine for 170K miles so far.

OK, got the seat from @Cagiva 549, but it does not have a passenger backrest, and the Corbin backrest does not match the Hartco material.
It is also missing the rubber mount isolatrors (not sure if my Corbin has them in there or not).

So if anyone has just a passenger backrest for a GL1800 laying around, I am in the market for one.

Back