• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

First multi-night, multi location trip, guidance please...

Last September there was gas available in Comstock, Sanderson and Marathon. I usually fill up at the Exxon west of the Del Rio bypass before Lake Amastad and then stop in Sanderson . The cafe in Comstock has pretty good food as well as the Oasis cafe in Marathon.

Why Hobbs? Make sure to eat at Granny Clarks in Dublin?
Hobbs is stop # 47 on the tour, Western Heritage Museum and Lea Co. Cowboy Hall of Fame.
Yes, it is in NM, but the tour organizer said that he included it because it is a part of Texas history and was in the original boundries of the Republic (and is just a few miles out of the current State boundries).

Hobbs is stop # 47 on the tour, Western Heritage Museum and Lea Co. Cowboy Hall of Fame.
Yes, it is in NM, but the tour organizer said that he included it because it is a part of Texas history and was in the original boundries of the Republic (and is just a few miles out of the current State boundries).
I gotcha. That makes sense. They had a huge roadrunner mural on the side of a building last time we were there. Good bike pic opportunity.:photo: Was a decent steak place off the main drag also. Might have been Ranchers???:confused:

So after thinking it over and evaluating travel times, I think I am going to extend it to 6 days.
Also going to do it counter clock wise from Katy. This will keep my longest days at the beginning, but 9-10 hour days instead of 11-12 hours.

Day 1: Katy-Dublin-Eastland-Blanket-Coleman-Abilene, 450 miles

Day 2: Abilene-Old Glory-Borger-Lubbock. 475 miles

Day 3: Lubbock (Shallow Water, Ransom Canyon, Post)-Seagraves-Siminole-Hobbs-Alpine. 400 Miles.

Day 4: Alpine-Big Bend-Crystal City. 400 Miles

Day 5: Crystal City-Hildalgo-South Padre. 350 Miles

Day 6: South Padre-Kingsville-Cuero-Katy. 400 Miles

Entire Route

Same distance overall (~2,400 miles), but no 500+ mile days like before.
I think I will try a mix in getting a hotel, Abilene and Lubbock (and probably Alpine) pre-book a place, then for night 4 and 5, see how I feel for where I stop.
Maybe I will feel fine and get it done in 5 days, maybe not, but whichever it is, that is fine.

So after thinking it over and evaluating travel times, I think I am going to extend it to 6 days.
Also going to do it counter clock wise from Katy. This will keep my longest days at the beginning, but 9-10 hour days instead of 11-12 hours.

Day 1: Katy-Dublin-Eastland-Blanket-Coleman-Abilene, 450 miles

Day 2: Abilene-Old Glory-Borger-Lubbock. 475 miles

Day 3: Lubbock (Shallow Water, Ransom Canyon, Post)-Seagraves-Siminole-Hobbs-Alpine. 400 Miles.

Day 4: Alpine-Big Bend-Crystal City. 400 Miles

Day 5: Crystal City-Hildalgo-South Padre. 350 Miles

Day 6: South Padre-Kingsville-Cuero-Katy. 400 Miles

Entire Route

Same distance overall (~2,400 miles), but no 500+ mile days like before.
I think I will try a mix in getting a hotel, Abilene and Lubbock (and probably Alpine) pre-book a place, then for night 4 and 5, see how I feel for where I stop.
Maybe I will feel fine and get it done in 5 days, maybe not, but whichever it is, that is fine.
Dam, Texas is big

Lots of experience and good advice in this thread. Take rain gear. Put it on anytime you want the rain to stop. :-)

I have had good luck with the Comfort Inn Suites on the NW side of Lubbock. Enjoy your trip :thumb:

this quest sure brings back some fond rememberies

extending the extra day or 2 is a good decision

@ 400mi/day you don't leave much time to smell the roses

BON CHANCE

sw

A stop at Alpine on the end of day 3 ...but not going to see the Marfa Lights???? That's like going to New Orleans and not stopping on Bourbon St.

Agree on Marfa lights, but not stopping on Bourbon St. is a good thing. ;-) ;-) Lots of riding on this ride. Have a good ride. Remember the sore butt will soon disappear from your memory. The beautiful sights and the wonderful people you meet along the way will remain memories for years.

So end of April I will be doing a bunch of the Motorcycle Tour of Texas stops, kind of a loop on the southern, western and northern parts of Texas.
My rough plan so far will put it at 5 days. Start and end will be in Katy. Will be on my GL1500 Goldwing, all pre-trip stuff done.

2 main questions.
  • What do most do for hotels, book before hand, or wait till you get there to find something?
    I can see a cost savings and not having to worry about a room booking beforehand, but what if you are not able to make it to where you plan on, and then have to cancel (and incur a fee) and still have to find someplace to stay where you are at?
  • Am I being over optimistic in my times and distances (see below)?
    I have done several 10-11 hour days in the past without issue, but not several in a row.
    I have had a 4 day trip (350 miles, 560 miles, 340 miles, 260 miles) once, and was fine.
    I know that the first 2 days tend to be the best mileage/time days, and it drops after that.
    Am I over-estimating my riding ability (I know, you can't answer that). Am I being realistic with my times?
    I know you can't go by the Google map times since those are straight riding hours.
    You have to factor in gas stops, food, restroom (usually those 3 can be combined) and the photo stops for the Tour.
    I tend to find I have to add about a hour and a half for every 5 hours of Google time.

Tentative schedule:

Day 1: Katy to Cuero, Kingsville, South Padre, Hidalgo and stop in Alice for the night. Almost 600 miles, so I figure around 11-12 hours from start to finish that day.

Day 2: Alice to Crystal City, Big Bend National Park (just need an entrance sign) and Alpine for the night. 525 miles, I am guessing 10-11 hours.

Day 3: Alpine to Hobbs, NM, Seminole, Seagraves, Post, Ransom Canyon, and Shallow Water, staying in Lubbock area that night. ~ 400 miles, estimated 8 hours.

Day 4: Lubbock to Borger, Old Glory and Abilene for the night. ~500 miles, 9-10 hours.

Day 5: Abilene to Coleman, Blanket, Eastland, Dublin, Hearn, Navasota, and home to Katy. ~450 miles, another 9 hours.

I have almost 3 weeks total off, so adding a day will not be a huge deal, but when I did a quick routing of 6 days, seemed that some of the days were too short (and the drive from the Valley to Alpine will be long no matter what).

The week before I do this trip, I plan on doing an overnight to Paris and back.

Day 1 will be Katy to Navasota, Hearn, Donie, Terrell, Adison, Lewisville, Paris (x 3 stops). 450 miles, estimating 9 hours (maybe more if any traffic).

Trip home will be from Paris to Gladewater (x 3 stops) Kilgore, and Lufkin. 350 miles, maybe 7 hours?

I guess this will give me a better feel for how I may do. I also plan on setting up a hotel in Paris before I go.
I’m an Austinite and also lived in the Valley (Port Isabel) for a year. Caution you on two areas…1) from Del Rio to Sanderson I don’t believe there is any gas stations (120 miles)….gas up in Del Rio area. I made the mistake of passing Del Rio maybe 10 miles and then saw a ‘no gas for 78 miles’ and I had maybe a quarter tank of gas and my bike’s miles (Suzuki 650 Vstrom) to empty said 76 miles….didn’t want to backtrack to Del Rio so i decided to go for it at night temps dropping but I slowed down to 45 mph the whole way and made it no problem. 2) I got a speeding ticket just outside of Crystal City (officer said there was a 35 mph sign there, but I swore there wasn’t (it was outside of town and must be a speed trap). Have fun, TX is so fun but so is MX.

Mrchips0401 is correct about Crystal City. DPS is running an operation down there. I saw about a dozen troops in the area when I went two weeks ago.

I’m an Austinite and also lived in the Valley (Port Isabel) for a year. Caution you on two areas…1) from Del Rio to Sanderson I don’t believe there is any gas stations (120 miles)….gas up in Del Rio area. I made the mistake of passing Del Rio maybe 10 miles and then saw a ‘no gas for 78 miles’ and I had maybe a quarter tank of gas and my bike’s miles (Suzuki 650 Vstrom) to empty said 76 miles….didn’t want to backtrack to Del Rio so i decided to go for it at night temps dropping but I slowed down to 45 mph the whole way and made it no problem. 2) I got a speeding ticket just outside of Crystal City (officer said there was a 35 mph sign there, but I swore there wasn’t (it was outside of town and must be a speed trap). Have fun, TX is so fun but so is MX.
Yeah, someone mentioned that previously, and yes, seems there is no gas between Sanderson and Del Rio (GasBuddy shows a station in Comstock, but looks like a single pump of unknown status on google maps).
I get ~150 miles per tank before I start to really worry about fueling up, so I will be fine so long as I fill up in Sanderson.

I will be careful in Crystal City as well.
I really will try to not speed this whole trip, but sometimes it just happens, and when you have speed traps, it is almost impossible to not speed.

A stop at Alpine on the end of day 3 ...but not going to see the Marfa Lights???? That's like going to New Orleans and not stopping on Bourbon St.

I have no desire to go to New Orleans nor Bourbon Street.

If I get into Alpine early enough and feel good, I may run and check it out.

If I get into Alpine early enough and feel good, I may run and check it out.

Ain't nuthin there to see until at least an hour after sunset.. but... I've seen the light.

i have bought gas in Comstock, but yes, best to assume you'll need to make it to Sanderson...

There's a family owned motel across the highway from the service station in Sanderson. Nice and clean and low priced.

I don't remember seeing any gas before Sanderson when I rode through there last year. There's a decent station there.

Big Bend wouldn't be bad on a Wing. I've been out there a few times now and never even taken a motorcycle. For a short trip, and if I'd never been, I'd plan to stay at the hotel in The Basin. I'd hike the few miles up to the South Rim and maybe Emory Peak before cruising over to Mule Ears to check that out before heading North into the area around McDonald's Observatory.

Pack some granola bars and pick up an apple and some of those peanut butter packs at the motel breakfast buffet. It's good to munch on something throughout the day to keep the alertness up. An apple slice with peanut butter is way better than a fat burger that will make you sleepy. Totally possible that when you check in to the motel you'll be so tired that after a shower you won't feel like getting out, so some protein bars would be good. Hydrate hydrate hydrate.

Back