• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Flat tire / plug kit / compressor

Reaction score
First Name
James
I have considered getting one of these

I usually carry a Slime mini. Not too fast but less than $20.

Last edited:
These pack small and work great.

+1
I have the earlier model as well, actually prefer it to the newer one.

Copied and pasted from the Slacker thread where we went off topic onto this stuff.

The Stop and Go compressor is pretty small and fits under the seat of most of my bikes even without stripping the housing off like some people do. Mountain Bike pumps are longer but fit better on some bikes and work surprisingly well even for a big GS tires. I think the one I had on the motorcycle is a Topeak Mega Morph. With bicycle pumps you want one designed for high volume mountain bike tires and one that’ll work on a Schrader valve (many have heads that can be converted between Schrader and Presta). Road bike pumps are designed for low volume and high pressure and will take forever to air up a big tire. I’ve tried out of curiosity since I have multiple examples of both.
CO2 inflators are smaller than both but I imagine it would probably take a full big cartridge or two to inflate a rear tire on these bigger bikes. I experimented with them when I was riding the DRZ400 and decided they were just okay for that application. By the time you carry a handful of cartridges it’s not much, if any smaller, than the reusable options.
The other problem with plugs and CO2 is I’ve seen any number of plugs fail to seal and a second or third attempt is needed. That’s why I always go straight to rubber cement on a bacon strip and carry a compressor or MTB pump. I treat the rubber cement tubes as one time use items and replace them after each use.

For this thread, I do have a set of mushroom looking plugs from some that I keep handy for bigger holes (instead of trying to shove 2-3 bacon strips into one).

For plugging I much prefer a T-handle tool over the screw driver shaped ones. It’s just easier to push through tough tires and rasp the hole out.

These pack small and work great.

These things are great. Fast and made in the US if that thing is important to you. Company is great to work with as well.

Back