• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Headed to Twisted Sisters next week.... help with route planning!!

Reaction score
First Name
James
I've been to the sisters a few years ago with a group of about 10 and one had been many times so we followed him around for 2 days. I couldn't tell you what sister we were on or where exactly we were, but they were fun.

I live in Abilene and my church has a Mens Retreat there next Thursday at Camp Eagle (tucked right between 335 +336, off 41), so want to take advantage of riding there beforehand and getting a few hours in of good therapy.

Trying to figure out a good "loop" or set of roads/routes to go on. Coming from Abilene, I can go straight down towards Camp Eagle and get on 41 to 336 and then start my day that way. Or I can go straight down to Medina and start 337 and head west and hit the other ones.

Any specific routes that are better than others? Any god spots to eat on a Thursday? I searched this page for routes on the sisters and took some notes down but want to maximize my day, if possible.

I'll be on my trusty 2016 FJR so ANY off-road stuff is out of the question.... bike is too pretty to be going off-roading on it.

Any tips would be great.... or if you want to meet up Thursday morning with me and tow me around, that'd be neat too! thanks guys!

337 between Leakey and Vanderpool is great as is 336 North out of Leakey. 335 and the stretch of 337 from Leakey to Camp Wood aren't bad, but the first two boys I mentioned are much better, IMHO.

My recommendation would be to come down 83 until you get to Junction, then take I-10 to Kerville. Take Hwy 16 from Kerville to 337, then 336 north to your spot. Between 16, 337, and 336, you'll have a great time just getting there. I second Wolfen's take that the eastern side of 337 is better than the western. I also think 336 is better than 335.

We drive right by there on our dual sport loop. Really cool place. Aptly named as we have seen eagles there every time we have gone through.

I am pretty sure you have to do gravel to get to Camp Eagle.

Reactions: Vec
I recommend approaching the area from Kerrville and taking 39 from Ingram to 187 south to Vanderpool. While the Sisters are definitely more twisty and technical, that particular stretch between Ingram and Vanderpool is far more enjoyable.

674 from Rocksprings to Bracketville is also supposed to be good, but I have not done it yet

My recommendation would be to come down 83 until you get to Junction, then take I-10 to Kerville. Take Hwy 16 from Kerville to 337, then 336 north to your spot. Between 16, 337, and 336, you'll have a great time just getting there. I second Wolfen's take that the eastern side of 337 is better than the western. I also think 336 is better than 335.
^this^

Wow, thanks for the replies everyone. I've read them all and took notes down for everything and now trying to plot them on a map in a somewhat orderly fashion without having to go back and forth all the time (wouldn't mind, but don't want to run out of time).

I love the idea of other roads besides the actual sisters as there is so much more than just the main roads that are great. Guessing traffic wouldn't generally be bad on a Thursday? I leave the place on Sunday around 11 and could do a few more loops, but guessing Sunday is a far more congested with riders.

Is one way better than the other on the sisters? meaning better to go north vs south or east vs west on them? Not that it has any bearing here but I prefer right handed turns and clockwise tracks over counterclockwise ones.

I recommend approaching the area from Kerrville and taking 39 from Ingram to 187 south to Vanderpool. While the Sisters are definitely more twisty and technical, that particular stretch between Ingram and Vanderpool is far more enjoyable.

I took that route back to Kerrville from Vanderpool when I rode the area in April. Definitely recommended!

1. Lots of cool exotics behind high fences in the area

2. Beware of cattle on the road on the Sisters. Lol

3. Be aware of LEO. I met a friendly, but non-negotiable one out there last weekend.

Rocksprings to Bracketville is nice, then take 334 back to 55 and head North. Nice little loop. Eat a King Burger in Rocksprings!

470 from Utopia to Tarpley is also very nice.

Also - you're aware that Camp Eagle is on Hackberry Rd - which is mostly dirt from 41. Mostly easy dirt, but just FYI...

2291 from Menard to ~Junction looks fun, but I haven't tried it...

39 is a blast. So is 16 from Kerrville to Bandera.

If it is just a route to get to the camp, then I would either get to Kerrville however you want, and either do 16 to Medina, then 337 to either 335 or 336 (both are nice roads), or instead of 16, take 39 our of Ingram toward Hunt, then 187 down to 337 then to 335 or 336.
Or do one on the way there, and the other on the way back.

I have ridden 470 from outside Bandera to Utopia, a very nice ride, and almost no traffic.

I am going to be out there in a few weeks, still trying to decide what I am going to ride.

Back