• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Help! Hill Country Routes

When you hear that many problems from a couple different people it sounds like a lot more than a few.
I quit riding with most groups because they don't seem to understand being a good neighbor idea. They live in the city and want to let their hair down on the weekends. Speeding by somebody's home or ranch with loud exhaust(exhaust is not everyone but compounds the problem) just isn't a good idea. Scaring their horses, hitting their dogs, and hopefully never but hitting their kid= trouble.

I quit riding with most groups because they don't seem to understand being a good neighbor idea. They live in the city and want to let their hair down on the weekends. Speeding by somebody's home or ranch with loud exhaust(exhaust is not everyone but compounds the problem) just isn't a good idea. Scaring their horses, hitting their dogs, and hopefully never but hitting their kid= trouble.
It only took me one group ride to convince me I wanted no part in them. Even then, I ended up bailing half way through.

It's doggone frustrating for the rest of us to do damage control for a few testosterone heavy jerks. I understand, at some point a landowner says forget it. We've also seen cases where some neighbor decides to put up a gate and signs to make a road look private hoping the county will call it unused and sell it to him. If you ride the hill country or east Texas you've ridden around a bunch of these. Texas got a lot of things right but our approach to public lands is sadly not one of them.

Rivers here face the same fate.
The water is public domain but the banks are all private property. Land owners come in various flavors of aggressive in defending their property rights.

I don't own land with a public road going through....but if I did?
I'd keep the bar ditches flooded and full of punji sticks.

If this is near Junction and the tall gates are long cedar poles then it's familiar. Yep, road goes through the pens. Open ride through and close them.
It looks like the placement of the sheds forces the pens to be built that way. Yes, it is definitely frustrating to have some people negate the good will some of us are trying to send. At age 12 and on my first dirt bike, my brother-in-law chewed my butt for "scaring the pounds" off his cattle. Every time I see them, I remember that unpleasant experience and slow way down.

Back