• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Honda CRF250L Rally

2017 CRF250 Rally.JPG

A little better picture of my new Rally.

CRF_XLR.JPG

My new (to me) CRF250L Rally with my trusty '82 XL250R. I hope I have as much fun and adventures on my CRF as I have on my XL.

Awesome pair. Did you get a set of dirt wheels with the rally?

I am looking for tire/wheel advice on my '17 CRF250L Rally. The bike as I bought it, has 17" SuperMoto wheels with street tires. Although I will probably ride it mostly on the streets, I do plan to ride off-road sometimes; possibly a 70/30 percent street/dirt combination like what I rode on my '82 XL250R. I want to change the tires to more dual/sport tires, but I am not certain I want to just go with tires on my 17" rims, or whether to change rims to either 19" front/17" rear or change out my 17"/17" for 21"/18" like stock.

There are a myriad of options and I have read and researched this subject all over the internet.

My questions, which I hope y'all can provide advice and insight are:

1) Do I keep the aftermarket Warp 9 17" front & rear wheels and install dual-sport tires like the Shinko 244 knobbies or IRC GP1's?

2) Do I find someone with the Stock 21"/18" front/rear wheels that may want to trade/swap/sell to me to install DS tires listed above?

3) Do I buy a 19" (nineteen inch) Warp 9 wheel for the front which will give me a 19" front/17" rear like some of the Adventure bikes? This will open up more flexibility in Dual Sport tire choices. Also, maybe just buy the 19" rim and have someone lace it with my spokes and hub from the 17" rim.

4) Are there tire/wheel "experts" in the DFW area I can talk to for guidance in my decision-making?

Please offer any advice to help with my research? Thank You in Advance.
DSC_0874.JPG

My go to tires on my DR650 were an IRC TR8 front with a Shinko 244 rear. A Kenda k270 or IRC GP1 rear would be more it less equivalent. I'd run them on that bike too. That was 21/17 on the DR, but I'm sure you can get the rears in 18" sizes.

If you haven't figured it out yet, my advice on the wheels is to get rid of those sumo ones for a set of stock or other 21/18s. I can't outride the 21/18 setup on my Africa Twin rolling with sport touring bikes. They'll do great on the street on your 250.

Back