• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Looking for Dirt Roads? Find them in an instant

I just looked at it, and it seems to be completely ignoring public roads, those are mapped just like any openmaps tool, at least in my area, say between nw Austin an the hill country. What are marked are dedicated bicycle/hiking paths. I think this is meant to be a cycling tool.

I don't know about other areas, but around here a LOT of the roads it shows as being gravel are actually chip sealed, soooo... technically still gravel?

There is also this website that I often use and have contributed to in my area,

I don't know about other areas, but around here a LOT of the roads it shows as being gravel are actually chip sealed, soooo... technically still gravel?

There is also this website that I often use and have contributed to in my area,

That one also marks a whole bunch of roads that are not actually gravel, AFAIK, like this one:

1687690503924.png

It's hard to see in my picture, but this route is actually about 40% "yellow" and the other 60% segments are "white". It's not clear anywhere in the map but I guess that means the yellow part is actually gravel and the white part is paved. I haven't gone out in the past year to check this, but the last time I checked Maxdale Rd. in this length was paved end to end, even if some of it was kind of rough for a paved road, consistent with all of the other Central TX county roads. Has it changed to be like 40% gravel over a 37 mile section? Maybe I'll go out and find out.

That one also marks a whole bunch of roads that are not actually gravel, AFAIK, like this one:

View attachment 352886

It's hard to see in my picture, but this route is actually about 40% "yellow" and the other 60% segments are "white". It's not clear anywhere in the map but I guess that means the yellow part is actually gravel and the white part is paved. I haven't gone out in the past year to check this, but the last time I checked Maxdale Rd. in this length was paved end to end, even if some of it was kind of rough for a paved road, consistent with all of the other Central TX county roads. Has it changed to be like 40% gravel over a 37 mile section? Maybe I'll go out and find out.

Gravelmap is only as good as what people upload. Some people are more specific with their descriptions and pics. Also, a LOT of roads are being "improved", meaning chip sealed. This is primarily because urbanites are moving out to the country, buying up land, and building their bug out homes. I am seeing this EVERYWHERE within a 50 mile radius of Huntsville, especially NW, N, and NE of town. Dirt roads I have been riding for years are getting paved at an alarming rate.

Gravelmap is only as good as what people upload. Some people are more specific with their descriptions and pics. Also, a LOT of roads are being "improved", meaning chip sealed. This is primarily because urbanites are moving out to the country, buying up land, and building their bug out homes. I am seeing this EVERYWHERE within a 50 mile radius of Huntsville, especially NW, N, and NE of town. Dirt roads I have been riding for years are getting paved at an alarming rate.
I see this as well.

Back