• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mark1Mod0

Reaction score
Howdy all. The title says it all. I am you basic, green first bike ever rider from Mont Belvieu. I took the BRC and immediately after finishing I bought an 07 Harley Softail Custom. I know I have a lot of learning to do, so any sound advice will be greatly appreciated and heeded. Unfortunately the only pics of my bike are too big to post.

Last edited:
Howdy and welcome to the site! :wave:

www.irfanview.com

A free image editing program. CTRL-R to resize and S to "Save As" ;-) It is really a great program and I have used it for many years to do my ride report photo editing. Simple and easy.

Advice, since you asked... Get and wear the best protective riding gear you can afford. I am partial to RevZilla.com for good deals on anything from the high end stuff to low end stuff (of still good quality). They have great review videos. I ride street and dirt. In both cases, good gear has saved me from what could have easily been extremely life altering injuries. It doesn't matter if you think you will be taking it easy and playing it safe. Sometimes you can do everything right and things can still go horribly wrong.

Get and read Twist of the Wrist II by Keith Code. It is written by a former racer and race instructor. Don't let that put you off. The dynamics of how bikes behave is the same on the track as on the road and applies to all manner of bikes. In that book, he has a section on the seven most common survival instincts when things start to go bad on a bike. He covers how they are all the WRONG thing to do and what you should do to avoid losing control of the bike. The whole book is good to. The writing is simple and direct. That stuff on correct responses vs instinctive responses made a HUGE difference in my riding and most definitely saved me a few times when I made noob mistakes and what he said POPPED into my head in time for me to do the right things.

Lastly, try to attend any of the TWT events if you can. You will meet some great people, many that are VERY experienced riders with a wealth of knowledge and wisdom and a willingness to share it.

Thanks Tourmeister. I PLAN (keyword there) on trying to make some meet ups. But until I get a good bit of seat time under my belt, no pun intended, or there happens to be one on the east side of town I will probably be in my truck. I hate Houston traffic. **** driving my truck in it scares me sometimes, so I sure as **** aint ready to try it on 2 wheels yet. I got a good helmet, its an HJC modular. I got one of the Harley Davidson mesh armored jackets. Will probably get something a little sturdier down the road. What is your take on riding specific boots. Are they absolutely necessary or could I get by with wearing my cowboy boots.

:tab Cowboy boots are probably better than regular shoes, but they should be somewhat snug so they resist being pulled off in a slide. Bike specific boots are usually reinforced at the heel, ankle and toes to better resist sliding abrasion and side/heel impacts. You don't want a bruised heel, trust me. A non slick sole is also good. Putting a foot down and feeling it sliding away from the bike is not a pleasant feeling... Many bike specific boots will also be weather proof (assuming water doesn't enter from the top).

:tab Don't skimp on gloves. Forget about the palm gloves where you fingers stick out of them. They might look cool (to some folks) but they are essentially worthless in terms of offering ANY protection. You can generally get a decent pair of gloves in the $50 range, especially if you watch for sales. I'd stick with leather. I like armor or extra leather across the back of the hand covering the knuckles. I came off a bike and rolled. Having the backs of your hands smacking pavement, even with a glove on, HURTS! I also like gloves with the extended cuffs, but that is just a personal preference because I ride in all kinds of weather and like them to cover the ends of the jacket sleeves.

:tab Staying out of Houston traffic is a good idea in general. I have a lot of riding experience, even in Houston, and I hate it. It feels like playing Russian Roulette every time I do it. Like you, I don't even like to do it in my truck ;-) I suggest spending the first 4-5K miles just cruising back roads and places that don't have a lot of traffic until you get comfortable just operating the bike controls. Ideally, you want to get to the point where you aren't having to think much about executing actions like shifting, braking, etc,... so that you have more of your attention to focus on the things around you.

:tab Oh yeah... That saying, "You go where you look!" It is 100% true. If you stare at the white line at the outside of a corner, you WILL run wide and likely leave the road. I have been known to say OUT LOUD and repeatedly in my helmet, "LOOK! LEAN! ROLL!", whenever I have gotten in a corner a little faster than my brain is telling me is okay. Keith Code talks about that. The instinct is to chop the throttle, stand up the bike, maybe brake, and look straight ahead (which is NOT the direction you want to go!!) It is counter intuitive, but leaning more and rolling gently on the throttle as you look through the corner is the BEST thing you can do once you are in the corner.

Howdy from Brenham and welcome. If you are reasonably close by to Brenham look for posts by Morgstang for group rides almost every Saturday and Sunday. Great group to ride with and some fun roads in the Brazos valley.

Welcome. I can echo all of the comments above about gear. Also, the bit about going where you look. It is hard not to look at the obstacle and where you want to go, takes discipline. Eight years riding and 97,000 miles and I still repeat the mantra "slow, look press and roll" on turns. Works every time. While I don't really like traffic, I do commute almost daily, Katy to downtown. Get some mile down first. Commuting is a good way to get seat time.

Of course, keep the shiny side up,

Chuck

Get and read Twist of the Wrist II by Keith Code.

Yes! I read Keith after riding for over 2 decades (naturally I knew everything too) and it completely changed the way I handled the bike. Get it & follow the directions to the letter.

Been getting some *** time today. Still a little windy for highway riding. Still got a few hours on the road.

Attachments

• 20160224_164927.jpg
    20160224_164927.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 140
Welomt to TWT. Make sure you join in on one of your local or ride to eat events around Texas. Great way to get to know your other members of TWT. KP

Been getting some *** time today. Still a little windy for highway riding. Still got a few hours on the road.

From the pic, it looks like you're all packed up for a ride over to Goatsville for a wknd at Ghost Rancho . . . . except you forgot the Barcalounger! :lol2:

If 'twere me and I was uncomfortable in H-town traffic (and what sane person is not!), I'd leave early, head away from town, and make a big ol' loop around then peel off to head in the desired direction. More seat time and fewer rounds incoming = WIN! :rider:

Edit: Oh, yeah: :welcome:

Last edited:
:welcome:

I've been late with lots of posting, especially this specific sub-topic.

Welcome to TWT. I can second all of TM's gear info. Gear is the only thing that saved me on my last unfortunate get-off (it's all detailed at the link below). You can also get those riding jeans (I forget what they're called), and still look cool. Don't worry, you can ride with all these guys, and they won't steer you wrong.

The main thing to remember is ride YOUR ride. If the group is going too fast for you, let them leave you. You're in no particular rush to keep up. Someone will wait at the next turn, fuel or stopping point, and you'll catch up - if they don't, it's not worth your time to ride with them, anyway. NEVER try to ride faster than your skill level. Speed will come with time and experience. Read the book, watch the videos, and pay attention to the guys with skill. You can tell who they are on the road.

Back