• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Mexico and Colorado - by car (sigh)

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Gill
Took a 10-day trip through northern New Mexico and Colorado. Visited Red River, Taos, Raton, Colorado Springs, Denver, Rocky Mountain National Park, and whatever was in between. Loved the cooler weather, and got rained on. It rains whenever we vacation. Just a few pics. The F-86 is at Wings over the Rockies. A very nice museum. Spent three days with my cousin Tim (Tshelfer here).

The Red River 2 Sm.jpg

The Red River 1 SM.jpg

DSC_0033 SM.jpg

DSC_0026 SM.jpg

Garden of the Gods 1.jpg

F-86 SM.jpg

Moose 1 Cropped.JPG

Bighorn 2 cropped.jpg

For many years we hurried thru NM to get to CO. Mistake, awesome state to explore and especially if you can do some forest/unpaved roads. We love CO but are doing more exploring in NM now and always impressed. Gonna have to visit that museum, thanks. :thumb:

Colorado has some excellent air museums. The one in the picture is the Wings over the Rockies Museum in Aurora. Last year when Danny & his wife Shan were in town, we went to the National Museum of WW2 Aviation at the south end of Colorado Springs. Honestly, that place may be the best air museum I've ever been to. Nearly every plane in the museum flies, including a P-38 what was pulled out of the jungle on a Pacific island & rebuilt.

And yes, that's a B1.

And Tim is right about the Colorado Springs museum. Finest I’ve seen, and almost all of the planes fly.

Speed limits in New Mexico drive me crazy. They all are slower than in Texas , and you will be in the middle of nowhere and the speed limit will drop to 50, or so, for a few miles, and then back up again. Crazy.

Speed limits in New Mexico drive me crazy. They all are slower than in Texas , and you will be in the middle of nowhere and the speed limit will drop to 50, or so, for a few miles, and then back up again. Crazy.
I noticed that same thing in, of all places, Germany in the 70s. The Autobahns mostly had a speed limit of 130 kph (82mph). But I'd be driving along when all of a sudden in the middle of nowhere, the speed limit would dip down to 80 kph for just a few hundred yards, then shoot right back up to 130. I decided the purpose of that was to ticket cars with American plates. Don't ask me how I reached that conclusion. :oops:

Back