• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Old rider, new member

Reaction score
Intro time.
My name is James, just joined b/c I found a thread on TORCS racing here that seems active. I don't like FB, would rather post on a forum like this (I'm old school I guess). I just did my first TORCS event Saturday, and though it was essentially a disaster for me personally, the event was fun and I'll be back to do another soon.

I have several motorcycles that I've had for years, so I figure I'll list them b/c that seems to be the thing to do when you join a new forum.

88 KX250 (the bike I rode at TORCS, if you saw me on the trails, I'm very sorry that I was probably in your way, I was figuring out the whole trail-etiquette/move-over thing in real-time)
89 KX250 (basket case, in parts, one day it'll be back together)
85 RZ350 (ugly, need to go through carbs, but otherwise complete)
91 TZR250 (less ugly, but .. yeah, needs some love)
85 RG500 (set up for road racing, but I only ever did a few track days)
00 Shadow 750 (used to commute to work on it)
78/9 KZ650 (not sure the year, total basket case long term project)
79 CR250 (just needs cleaning, runs great, kind of scary b/c suspension is just light years behind the times)
18 CRF150R (big-wheel, super-fun, play-bike for me, though it really is a race bike of course for like a 12-15yr old... may TORCS-it one day, lol)

Welcome brother. Good on you for getting out there and doing the TORCS racing. I keep telling myself I need to get out there.....and I keep on not doing it. I'm an enduro kind of guy and have been trail riding a good chunk of my life but the racing part has eluded me. The adventure bug bit me a while back and that seems to take my focus. This forum has all kinds of rabbit holes you can go down. And looking at your bike collection.....seems you have a sickness :lol2:. Welcome to the forum!!!!

Welcome brother. Good on you for getting out there and doing the TORCS racing. I keep telling myself I need to get out there.....and I keep on not doing it. I'm an enduro kind of guy and have been trail riding a good chunk of my life but the racing part has eluded me. The adventure bug bit me a while back and that seems to take my focus. This forum has all kinds of rabbit holes you can go down. And looking at your bike collection.....seems you have a sickness :lol2:. Welcome to the forum!!!!
I got the sickness, true enough! Thanks for the warm welcome! I tell ya, or did in my reply in the TORCS thread, it was an eye-opener, but overall a lot of fun in hindsight. There were def times that day I was not feeling like I was having a lot of fun, but suffering will do that you ya.

I have primarily been (or was, BITD) a trail rider, so I'm all there with you on that kind of adventure. I just have never had an adventure-bike such that I could ride it on real trips. It was always just going to some woods trail-network, ride, pack up and go home.

I have primarily been (or was, BITD) a trail rider, so I'm all there with you on that kind of adventure. I just have never had an adventure-bike such that I could ride it on real trips. It was always just going to some woods trail-network, ride, pack up and go home.

I was the same for many years, base camp at the truck, trail ride/day rides. This is the kind of stupidery I'm into these days, the sickness just got worse....be careful :trust:

Welcome, and watch out for those old guys with trials bikes! They inhabit this place. Love the thought of an RG in the collection.

Attachments

• 20240508_155651.jpg
    20240508_155651.jpg
    476.8 KB · Views: 17
Welcome, and watch out for those old guys with trials bikes! They inhabit this place. Love the thought of an RG in the collection.
RG_500_Gamma.jpg

This picture is not my RG, but this is the RG I'm referring to. I do like that big Adv BMW y'all appear to be talking about though (or did I mix-up the references between y'all?) ! The one I have is a Suzuki Gamma, 500cc 4cyl 2-stroke from the 80s. Its mostly apart currently, so pics of it wouldn't help.

I was the same for many years, base camp at the truck, trail ride/day rides. This is the kind of stupidery I'm into these days, the sickness just got worse....be careful :trust:
I will tell myself occasionally, "yeah, one day I want to do a real adventure ride!".. then I watch videos of folks where folks are doing one and it starts to look pretty grueling at times, and I think "man, I don't know if I can hack that!"... LOL

I'll say this, trials riding is a thing I'd like to give a go one day. The skills those guys show is impressive. I could use that kind of skill-set riding my dirtbike.

Back