• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Suggestions, please!

Reaction score
Somewhere by the coast, there’s a little music…
I'm now in the market for a scooter! I have a bad habit of seeing one bike (scooter), falling in love, and then no other option even crosses my mind. So I'm asking all comers to throw some options at me! Right now, I've gone to the local scooter seller that's within range of a gentle amble from my house and seen his stock of Lances, Wolf scooters, and some chinese ones, 'Northstar' I think. I've gone to two different Honda dealerships and seen their PCX. The price quoted was crazy. $5400 from the dealership I have used and purchased from before...and $6500 from the crazy guys in the south! I like the PCX, but comparing the ~2500-3000 sticker price of the local guy to ~2500 above MSRP(!) for the PCX really hurts when I don't see anything way above in warranty terms, and haven't found any horror stories on the cheapos. It made me lean towards the Lance/Wolf brands, even though some are carburetor models, and lord knows I know nothing about carburetors. I've been looking at new models, but I've casually kept an eye on craigslist. Nothing has really caught my eye . I'd really need a sweet deal, because the pay cut I've just had to swallow means I'm looking for a more economical ride over the next 10 years compared to the truck.

I'll be using the scooter to go to work, as it'll be easier to hide in the back room than my truck, so I need to hit 50mph comfortably for about two miles. The local scooter guy said that cuts out his 50cc models, but the 125s and 150s he has could comfortably hit that. I also, surprise, surprise, need a scooter that a 70 year old, 5'2" wild lady can comfortably handle. As soon as I mentioned getting a scooter, my mother, staunch champion that motorcycles are going to kill me and I should sell mine, said she's going to come over to my house and steal it for her grocery shopping. :rofl: I'll take the bonus and happily let her use it!

In short:
  • Lower price matters
  • Needs to comfortably handle 50mph
  • So light/well-handling/small-enough that even your grandma could use it (and it has to be a scooter)
  • Quality enough for 250 miles a week for the next five years
So, any ideas on others I could look at?

If all the Chinese scooters are like my ice bear, the speedometer is hopelessly optimistic. It will run gps verified 45-47 all day long. It will occasionally top 50 if conditions are just right, VERY occasionally.

You might find a used PCX in your price range. 2013 started the 150cc (that’s what I have) and prior is 125cc. The 150 will hit 65mph before the speed limiter kicks in. Wouldn’t think the 125 would be too much slower, and used they are a little cheaper to buy. PCX is FI, so no carbs to clean.. Before gas went way up, I’d see them listed for ~$2200 - $2600 depending on condition/mileage. PCX is very popular in the EU where they are primary transportation, and they seem to be big in Thailand as well. Also might look at Kymco. I see a lot of them in the EU as well. I know nothing about them or what dealer support looks like over here, but thought I would throw that out there.

Sneak into the PCX forum. Some of the folks overseas have 50k miles or more. In the US, they are usually a recreational thing so miles aren’t that high. We have owned our 2013 since new and I just turned 3k miles last month.

Kymco, Sym, or Lance are reputable-ish Taiwan brands for late model scooters. You definitely want EFI and 150-170cc+. Note, most "200"cc Taiwan scooters are actually more like 170-180cc and are not typically much more powerful than the 150-170s. If you like modern Italian styling, hard to beat a Kymco Like 150i ABS.

Main thing to remember is a >49cc scooter is going to require a M endorsement so your mom will have to take the MSF and get a license. And once you cross into the maxi scooter territory, usually 250cc class and above, they get lot heavier and more complex... Liquid cooled and 300+ lb. Typical 125-150cc scooters are very easy to handle and under 250 lb.

We have two carburetor 125cc scooters. Due mostly to effective gearing, the more powerful of the two tops out right at actual 50mph but gets there quickly enough. The Yamaha will get close to 60mph but you need plenty of runway. I routinely use mine for short stretches on 55-60 mph roads, bit this is suburban traffic where between stoplights you rarely make it to the speed limit.

I know it is true you get what you pay for but the Italian scooters I've looked at seem to be premium $. The PCX is a nice choice but the bump in the seat is in the wrong place. It's been difficult for me to make the leap when I have an old CT90 that I've learned all it's nuances over the last 30+ years. I'm going to try to take it to the tiddler run in east Texas next month, hope some of you scooter guys can meet me there.

I eventually went with the scooter dealership a .22 shot away from my house. My mother ended up disliking the thought of using a wrist throttle and I went with a Lance Cabo 125. So far I’ve liked it. I’m coming up on the 600 mile mark, and will probably take it to the dealer for the service. A brief look around online told me that Lance/Sym (who makes them) only gives service manuals to dealers. Maybe I can sweet talk him into letting me have one! I definitely want to know how to poke at the engine… paying for oil changes makes me a little sick.

Lance Cabo is a good choice! Congrats.

You don't need a service manual to change the oil :) There are scooter forums who will help you out. If all else fails, ask on ADVRider, there's a good scooter category on there with lots of knowledgeable people.

I've done extensive work on my scooters and motorcycles with no manual. You can do it :)

I eventually went with the scooter dealership a .22 shot away from my house. My mother ended up disliking the thought of using a wrist throttle and I went with a Lance Cabo 125. So far I’ve liked it. I’m coming up on the 600 mile mark, and will probably take it to the dealer for the service. A brief look around online told me that Lance/Sym (who makes them) only gives service manuals to dealers. Maybe I can sweet talk him into letting me have one! I definitely want to know how to poke at the engine… paying for oil changes makes me a little sick.
If not a twist throttle, what? A pedal?

Sym makes good scooters. Enjoy!

No, a golf cart is now the object of desire, so a pedal is familiar. She also ended up not liking having to balance when stopped, etc etc, which I think is how she is rationalizing her instinctive habit of disliking/fearing motorcycles. C’es la vie.

I just like the manual because I know I’ve got all the different cool jobs there at my fingertips.

…plus it lets me double check my sometimes fractured and scatterbrained mind. That’s always useful on a fast moving two wheeler.

Back