• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Texas History Riding

Reaction score
Who else does this? Back when I got my bike, I had not gone very far yet, and I had a lazy Saturday happening. So i put that together and made a ride to go see the giant Sam Houston Statue on I-45. Dang that thing is big. The gift shop was open ,and walking thru there, I noticed a book on Sam Houston. The guy working there actually recommended a different one, called The Raven. It turned out to be a really good book. While I was in the process of reading it, I wondered where is he buried at. I had seen the signs pointing to his grave site in Huntsville, but never turned down the road to go look. So I decided to make that ride one day. While there, I noticed his wife wasn't next to him, so I decided to find out where she was. She's in Independence. She died of yellow fever and it was required to be buried immediately. That led me to where is his kids. It took a while to ride to each of his kids grave sties, but I did it. One is way up in the the top of Oklahoma. So far that has been my longest ride, by myself. 1575 miles over 5 days. I added a few more stops in along the way.

From there. my curiosity for learning more about other people in Texas history has grown, and coupling that with riding has sent me to some really cool adventures.

Mr Dr Pepper in Dublin
Howard Hughes in Houston
Of course Bonnie and Clyde. I didn't ride to the shootout location but I might go back on a ride there.
The center of Texas
The last remaining Republic of Texas marker
West and Yokum to see sites related to my dad's side of the family, and New Boston and Gillham Ark for sites related to my moms side
LaGrange Kreische Brewery & Monument Hill (this is very cool)
Goliad
Gonzales
San Antonio
Richmond Deaf Smith, Jane Long, and Lamar. This one is the most recent and learning about these folks has sent me in a plan for more places to learn about and go

There's tons more. What are your Texas History adventures?

One thing I like to do, is imagine what it took for the people to get to the places. For example the border marker. There were no road or trails or pathways. It was thick east Texas woods. The marker is cement. Someone had to carry that, along with all of their survey gear and tents and sleeping and eating gear, to that spot. And how many thousands of people pass by Clyde's grave, just feet away fro where they are driving, having no clue what they are so close to. In Abilene, there was a mowing crew at work. As one of the guys passed by Sam Houston's daughters grave, he stopped to give me space and not run me down with a John Deere, thankfully. So i took the opertunity to tell him who was there. He had no idea. I shared a little of her history, which is very cool... https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/27260557/mary-william-morrow

Having an interesting (or even silly) destination offers incredible motivation, or at least an excuse, to go for a ride. Exploring history on a motorcycle seems to fit.

-Jeff

it does. My brother has gone with me to places that end up to be "it happened right here" and were just standing on the side of a road to nowhere. This has taken me on roads to ride that i would have never thought to ride before. Opening new worlds. The Crash at Crush is another ride we did. Stopped on the side of I 35 and said, yep right here.

it does. My brother has gone with me to places that end up to be "it happened right here" and were just standing on the side of a road to nowhere. This has taken me on roads to ride that i would have never thought to ride before. Opening new worlds. The Crash at Crush is another ride we did. Stopped on the side of I 35 and said, yep right here.

spectacular story!

Who else does this? Back when I got my bike, I had not gone very far yet, and I had a lazy Saturday happening. So i put that together and made a ride to go see the giant Sam Houston Statue on I-45. Dang that thing is big. The gift shop was open ,and walking thru there, I noticed a book on Sam Houston. The guy working there actually recommended a different one, called The Raven. It turned out to be a really good book. While I was in the process of reading it, I wondered where is he buried at. I had seen the signs pointing to his grave site in Huntsville, but never turned down the road to go look. So I decided to make that ride one day. While there, I noticed his wife wasn't next to him, so I decided to find out where she was. She's in Independence. She died of yellow fever and it was required to be buried immediately. That led me to where is his kids. It took a while to ride to each of his kids grave sties, but I did it. One is way up in the the top of Oklahoma. So far that has been my longest ride, by myself. 1575 miles over 5 days. I added a few more stops in along the way.

From there. my curiosity for learning more about other people in Texas history has grown, and coupling that with riding has sent me to some really cool adventures.

Mr Dr Pepper in Dublin
Howard Hughes in Houston
Of course Bonnie and Clyde. I didn't ride to the shootout location but I might go back on a ride there.
The center of Texas
The last remaining Republic of Texas marker
West and Yokum to see sites related to my dad's side of the family, and New Boston and Gillham Ark for sites related to my moms side
LaGrange Kreische Brewery & Monument Hill (this is very cool)
Goliad
Gonzales
San Antonio
Richmond Deaf Smith, Jane Long, and Lamar. This one is the most recent and learning about these folks has sent me in a plan for more places to learn about and go

There's tons more. What are your Texas History adventures?
Great stories and ideas. Thanks for sharing. Right up my alley - motivation for some trips!

Back