• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Trip Planning and mapping.

NX2000

Reaction score
First Name
Giles
Last Name
Shine
It's quite possible I'm missing something simple and if I am please feel free to point that out. More than 20 years ago I could get a couple of different mapping programs that I could plug in how fast I drove and how many hours a day I wanted to drive and it would not only give me a route, but show me about where I'd be at the end of my planned day. It would take a long route and break it down into a multi day trip.

I can't find how to do this anymore. Google, Apple, and several other trip planners I've tried don't do this. Anyone have any good ideas?

A very good route planner for $14/year subscription.

I plan my trips to suit me not some computer geek , google earth is your friend . Accommodations at the destination are preplanned everything between home and there is winged because i never know where ill be when i want to stop , any highlites between here and there are bookmarked and if timing is right it will be checked out , if it looks good enough time will be adjusted so it is right .

A very good route planner for $14/year subscription
There's a subscription fee for Furkot now? It's been 3 or 4 years since I used it, but it was free then.

I liked the fact that it was easy to plug in a lot of information including how long you wanted to drive. Also, to put in infinite waypoints to personalize the route to the roads you want to follow. It was also quite easy to download a trip to my Garmin. The only thing I didn't like was that the customized routes tended to clutter up my Garmin; those waypoints would show up in the "recent destinations" list. But that was a pretty small dislike for an otherwise very handy website.

I hadn’t used Furkot for a couple of years (mainly due to the lack of discretionary funds during a home remodel) and was surprised to find out back in January that my favorite free routing software had changed to subscription based. I’m not a fan of unnecessarily paying for anything but such is my appreciation for what Furkot delivers.

Well, I guess I look at it as buying an electronic Road Atlas that can route you according to the parameters that you input. Currently I have Scenic app on my phone for nav, and it allows me to import routes from Furkot.
To be honest, I have spent more money on my paper maps (Butler, RT 66, Texas Atlas and National Atlas various laminated state maps) than I have on GPS apps and routing software. I know, I know.....I can pick up a map at a visitor center, but trying to unfold and read that thing on the bike is a pain.

I settled on Tyre, using a free key for Googlemaps. Works great.

Back