• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tubliss help

Reaction score
I bought a wr250r that has a front tubliss tire that keeps losing air. I don’t have any experience with these tires. Do you have suggestions/resources or a shop in San Antonio to suggest?

Don't take this as some kind of personal attack on your or anyone else, but I don't think anyone should run the Nuetech Tubliss system unless they do their own install and servicing of this system. I say that because if one doesn't know the nuances and pros/cons of this system by being fully capable of installing it, it can bring a fair amount of headache in some cases. Being intimate...sounds sexy...with the system helps in avoiding problems during installation, operation, and diagnosing potential problems.

I've been running the Tubliss system since '09. And even with finding nails, screws, wire, etc. in my rear tire while back in camp during off road trips, I've yet to have a flat while riding. When finding an object stuck in my tire, I've been able to remove the object, plug the hole with an old school string plug and continue my trip/ride until the tire was worn out. And, running sealant like Stan's, tubeless Slime, etc. is another requirement IMO to insure sealing punctures/leaks during a ride...or at least as much insurance as is possible. Like I said, I've yet to get a flat on a ride using the Tubliss system, and that's no BS. I even find it somewhat hard to believe...and I ride a lot.

OP, for an easy step, maybe get a quart of Stan's from a local bicycle shop or Amazon, install about 6oz., and see if that seals up wherever the leak is coming from. This can be a somewhat challenging system to install. No...it's not rocket science and does not require an engineering degree, but quite a few people badmouth the system because of user error during installation and/or operation. One may have success by having a shop or another party install the system on their bike, but I'm really convinced that it will serve anyone a lot better if they know how to install and service the system on their own.

Thanks, I appreciate the reply. The system was already installed when I bought the bike so didn’t have the benefits of thinking it through and learning about it. I’ll try the sealant option and keep reading.

Thanks again.

Probably seems like a duh thing, but you never know, take the valve core out when you squeeze in the sealant.

Is the tube leaking or the tire?
Good point. I didn't think to ask OP if he knew the issue of airing up the inner liner and then airing up the tire. OP you mentioned "reading". I'll assume you've read up some on the Nuetech system as to airing up the inner liner. On that inner liner, I wouldn't use a compressor or high pressure tank. It's a small volume that is easily overcome with lots of pressure. The best solution is a bicycle, floor, air pump that goes at least to 125 psi...and has a built in gauge. Trying to check pressure with most air gauges may lost too much air to get a good solid recommended air pressure of about 110psi.

I would suggest watching some great YouTube videos showing how to install the Nuetech setup, that will educate you on how the high pressure and low pressure systems work together. Personally, I love the Tubeless setup.

I have found I need to refresh a wheel every 5 years or so. I dismount the tire and the high-pressure bladder, check the rim tape, replace if needed, check the high pressure tube replace if needed, then reassemble. Load some fresh sealant and go ride.

YouTube info will answer a lot. For now, understand that the high pressure tube is responsible for sealing the tire. If it's not at pressure then the tire can't seal. It's such a small volume tube that a good hand pump that'll go at least 110 psi works well. You can expect that tube to lose pressure over time...write it off to cosmic entropy. Air it up first...then your tire and go ride.

You could use the old fashion method. Air the tire up, then dunk the tire in water and look for a bubble. Or spray some soapy water on it as you rotate it around.

Thanks so much for the replies. I’ll pump up the tire with a bike pump in the order you mentioned while waiting for the sealant. I watched the installation video and that helped too.

Im glad to hear the endorsement too. I’ll persist in my troubleshooting.

I know I'm late to this thread, but there are a couple things to be aware of with Tubliss.

It's a high pressure tube and it does lose a little air over a few days or so. So, making sure that the Tubliss tube is inflated to the proper pressure is key to not only keeping the tire on the rim but also to prevent air leaking around the tire bead during use. I suggest checking the pressure in the Tubliss tube and the pressure in the tire before each ride. In normal riding, the tire with squish and flex and air for the tire can burp out if the Tubliss tube is not at the correct pressure.

If you keep your pressures correct, there is no need for adding sealant unless you just so happen to really want puncture protection. Adding sealant doesn't aid the Tubliss sytem at all.

I would suggest watching some great YouTube videos showing how to install the Nuetech setup, that will educate you on how the high pressure and low pressure systems work together. Personally, I love the Tubeless setup.

I have found I need to refresh a wheel every 5 years or so. I dismount the tire and the high-pressure bladder, check the rim tape, replace if needed, check the high pressure tube replace if needed, then reassemble. Load some fresh sealant and go ride.
Nuetech recommends replacing inner high pressure tube after 2 years. I have gone longer than that and had a tube fail - and that is the only failure I have experienced in five years of dirt bike/hard dual sport riding.

To respond to the original post, I recommend that you first check the high pressure tube to determine if it is holding air. Pressure it up to 90-100 psi. If that holds, and the tire itself will not hold pressure, then the solution will be to improve the seal between the tire bead and rim. I have had excellent results using the manufacturer instructions for soapy water.

Back