• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Used Bandit - need some help

Reaction score
Hi all. I just picked up a used 2009 Bandit 1250. Overall it's in decent shape, but it's been sitting for a couple of years with a mostly empty gas tank. :(

It ran OK initially, so I dumped a couple of gallons of gas in, which maybe wasn't a good idea. The tank has some rust in it, and I'm afraid I've partially clogged the injectors.

It runs fine at small throttle openings and low RPM. But if the engine gets much above 2500 rpm, or I do more than crack the throttle, it bogs. If I try to give it a large throttle openings, it acts like it's getting either no gas or no spark. As soon as I roll off the throttle it picks back up. It idles fine.

Since it ran OK until I put fresh gas in the tank, I don't think it's a spark problem.

Anyway, any suggestions on the best way to address this? I guess there are two parts: (1) how difficult is it to remove and clean the injectors, and what's the best way to clean them? (2) What's the best approach to dealing with the rust in the tank? Years ago I did Creme in one bike, and that seemed OK, but I've seen reports of it peeling off and making things worse after a couple of years.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

Most likely you've plugged the in tank filter. The last few pages in the Mega thread at the top of the page address it.

Thanks! That would certainly be a lot simpler than the injectors. I'll check it out this weekend.

So, the bad news: No filter. Apparently a previous owner removed it at some point, rather than cleaning or replacing it. How stupid can people be.

Do you think there's any chance running some commercial FI cleaner through the tank (after replacing the filter, of course) and riding it as best I can at small throttle openings will do the job? Or am I likely to have to pull the throttle body and remove the injectors to clean them right?

Thanks again.

It's worth a shot to try it. Although I'm not very hopeful that it'll work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As stated, the chances are very poor that it will clean out the injectors, but if you have the patience it's certainly worth a try (carbs use to clean out as the jets are fairly large, but injectors have multiple tiny holes so the dirt really cant get through and a cleaner will dissolve gunk, but won't usually do much for rust... Getting the injectors professionally cleaned is probably your best bet, but be sure to put a filter back i the tank. Sorry for the negative feedback..

Gary

Thanks. That's pretty much what I figured. I've got the filter screen on order, and may put a second inline filter in the fuel line, too. I should probably do something about coating the tank to prevent more rust. Any thoughts on the best way to do that?

Oh, I've also ordered a service manual, but don't have that yet. Looking at the assembly, it doesn't look like removing the throttle bodies should be too hard, but if you have any thoughts on that feel free to chime in.

Thanks again.

If it is rust that has clogged the injectors, very little chance fuel injector cleaner will do any good.

Injector cleaner won't help, fuel system has to be totally gone through, injectors, fuel lines, fuel tank needs to be cleaned out too.
Figure spending $300-$600 to have it gone through at a dealer.

I've been through this with a used bike I bought years ago.

Last edited:
Thanks. I ended up doing the tank cleaning, rust removal and sealing myself, and the bikes at the dealers now getting the fuel rail and injectors cleaned out.

So, the bad news: No filter. Apparently a previous owner removed it at some point, rather than cleaning or replacing it. How stupid can people be.

Do you think there's any chance running some commercial FI cleaner through the tank (after replacing the filter, of course) and riding it as best I can at small throttle openings will do the job? Or am I likely to have to pull the throttle body and remove the injectors to clean them right?

Thanks again.
Owner didn't remove it ethanol did!!!!!
Going through the same thing w/ an o9 had to change the fuel pump & *** #3 injector is clogged fixing to pull injector rail & clean all 4 injectors.

Brian

Back