• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mexico

CeeBee

Inactive Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
Blair
I know, I know, I'm a sad case - Just be quiet and suck it up!- :zen:-- just can't seem to get the adventure out of my mind.

Rode for a couple of days at Richard's Big Bend ride last Feb. and a ride in the fall of 2009. Just isn't enough to sedate "The sprit of adventure" that I seems to grow in me and the older I get, the worse it becomes. Am I the only one?

Am working on ten days off in the middle of Oct. to satisfy the wanderlust.

Mexico should be beautiful that time of year and be just what the doctor ordered (so to speak). My heart is really in the dirt but with limited time may consider a road bike.

Any suggestions on places to go and things to see in this limited time frame. -- leaving from the Houston/Conroe area.

I'd suggest Pachuca and seeing the Pueblos Magicos and the prismas basalticos in the hills above there. Lots of good twisty roads to ride between here and there. I went in January this year. The ride report is here: A Ton of Miles in Mexico
If you'd like, I can give you names and email addresses for some Spanish-speaking friends in the area.

Thanks Drumboy,
That's the ride I did in 2009. a buddy did a write up on it here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=650256&referrerid=28820

Was hoping to go a little farther south, maybe the devels backbone or plug in around McAllen and see the colonial citys tricepilot talks about.

Ah. I rode to Mazatlan a few years ago with a buddy and we did the devils backbone twice plus had a nice beach vacation with our GFs (they flew in). Great trip and we hit up Galeana on the way home.

I'd suggest Pachuca and seeing the Pueblos Magicos and the prismas basalticos in the hills above there. Lots of good twisty roads to ride between here and there. I went in January this year. The ride report is here: A Ton of Miles in Mexico
If you'd like, I can give you names and email addresses for some Spanish-speaking friends in the area.

Hi Andyc740,
Read your ride report. Looked like a great trip! Was seriously considering part of your route when east bound - maybe in the spring. Decided to go to the west side this time. I'd like to meet your friend down there, I'll save this and take you up on there E-mail addresses.
Thank you, Chuck

Ah. I rode to Mazatlan a few years ago with a buddy and we did the devils backbone twice plus had a nice beach vacation with our GFs (they flew in). Great trip and we hit up Galeana on the way home.

Drumboy,
Thats the direction I plan to go - somewhat. Work my way down to Guadalajara, stop off in Tequila then maybe Puerto Vallarta. Sounds great but only have 10 days. Alittle ambitous probably?

Thanks for your input, Chuck

If you come this way and need anything, give me a shout. I'm only about 40 miles south of Guad.
An XRR rider also,
XR650RMichoacan.jpg

av-1026.jpg

Hi Chuck. I met you a few years ago at one of the TAR rides in Junction. I know you have ridden the desert mountains in northwest Mexico, so if you want something different you may want to try Oaxaca and Chiapas. You get all the twisty mountain roads plus there is water so it is green. Plus you get all the Maya culture and ruins besides.

I am happily unemployed this summer and finished the Great Divide route on a mountain bike a couple weeks ago, then did the Hottern' **** Hundred in Wichita Falls on a road bicycle.

Going back to motorcycle mode and going to the Horizons Unlimited meet in North Carolina next week, then going to leave for Guatemala around October 1. I plan to spend a month or so in a Spanish school, probably on Lake Atitlan. Going to investigate some dental work down there as well :( . Wouldn't mind some company for the Mexican part of the trip, if you are interested in heading southeast.

If you come this way and need anything, give me a shout. I'm only about 40 miles south of Guad.
An XRR rider also,

Kilo,
That would be great. Can we meet for a drink and some bench racing? :clap:

Hi Chuck. I met you a few years ago at one of the TAR rides in Junction. I know you have ridden the desert mountains in northwest Mexico, so if you want something different you may want to try Oaxaca and Chiapas. You get all the twisty mountain roads plus there is water so it is green. Plus you get all the Maya culture and ruins besides.

I am happily unemployed this summer and finished the Great Divide route on a mountain bike a couple weeks ago, then did the Hottern' **** Hundred in Wichita Falls on a road bicycle.

Going back to motorcycle mode and going to the Horizons Unlimited meet in North Carolina next week, then going to leave for Guatemala around October 1. I plan to spend a month or so in a Spanish school, probably on Lake Atitlan. Going to investigate some dental work down there as well :( . Wouldn't mind some company for the Mexican part of the trip, if you are interested in heading southeast.

Hello Andy,
How have you been? Busy it sounds like!
My wife is an avid bike rider and has talked me into the MS 150 3 times now. I enjoy it. She's doing the "Bike around the bay 200 in Oct.

Don't have a solid plan yet but would like to link up with you if poss.

so far- tentatively - meet a couple of friends in Valle De zaragosa south of chihuahua work our way towards guadalahara then maybe the coast. It's all still up in the air but if have time and a place maybe get in a dive or two.

I have a buddy that will keep going after I head back that wants to see palenque near the guat. border. he's on a 650 Dakar and a good guy. He also rode to S. America - you two have alot in common. only thing though is the target date to leave is Oct.13

Hope to ride with you, if thinks work out.

Try the burritos

I had started to get a solid plan together until I read "Into the Blue at Quintana Roo" AGAIN. Then started thinking of parking the XRR and running down to the coast on the Wee-strom and dive a few days and still see some of Mexico. Looked like a great ride in a short period of time.

But if I got this right, the jest of what you said is "You don't need no stink'in plan, JUST GO!!" :sun:

i-njPQQGn.jpg

Lake Atitlán/Panajachel, Guatemala, February 2012

Wonderful ride through Mexico to explore through Guatemala, then back.

Last edited:
182676663_cWZef-M.jpg

Dawn over Lake Atitlan, looking down on the town of San Pedro la Laguna

You want to go to Chiapas and visit Palenque.

Ester is still there, a vendadora selling artesanias near the Temple of the Inscriptions.

481282901_4F6Pj-XL.jpg

481280717_9uTeo-XL.jpg

Kindest person you'll ever meet. She smiles all the time.

A good plan would be to visit Palenque, chat it up with Ester, and forge into Guatemala and visit Tikal.

Do the dawn (3am) hike into Tikal with a guide. You'll see the temples appear from the mist as the day dawns.

i-C9dvmq5-XL.jpg

Absolutely zero issues on that trip. Didn't even stop for a military checkpoint all the way down through Mexico and none at all in Guatemala. First military checkpoint was coming back into Mexico from Guatemala.

Back