• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Colorado Part I(street) and Part II(dirt'ish)

DFW_Warrior

Hmmmm.....
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
It has been a year since I have ridden in Colorado(which is FAR too long if you ask me). And Rachel has only been once and it was in the middle of winter when we went skiing so I really wanted her to see everything when it wasn't covered in snow. So we set off on the street bikes for a tour of some of the good spots.

Now before you ask, and before you scroll down through the pictures. The reason this thread is titled what it is, is because in another week I will be headed right back to Colorado with Calgary-Yogi for some dual sporting on KLR's. Two trips to Colorado in two months can't be bad, right? I'll add the dual sport photos in a few weeks.

Alright, onward with the photos.

ColoradoResize-1.jpg

Taking a lunch break in Ouray on day one.

ColoradoResize-2.jpg

Silverton from up high.

ColoradoResize-3.jpg

I just like this because that is one unhappy puppy that is sporting a peace collar.

ColoradoResize-4.jpg

I just liked this one. This was at our first campsite. Actually the next few photos are from the campsite on day one. It was just an amazing little spot and I'm glad that we came across the folks that lead us to it.

ColoradoResize-5.jpg

ColoradoResize-6.jpg

ColoradoResize-7.jpg

ColoradoResize-8.jpg

ColoradoResize-9.jpg

ColoradoResize-10.jpg

ColoradoResize-11.jpg

Black Canyon of the Gunnison was awesome as usual.

ColoradoResize-12.jpg

Leaving the Canyon, I looked up and saw this in the sky and just had to stop to take a photo. While I was stopped on the side of the road, a couple more bikes came through and the last guy looked at what I was taking a photo of and then hit the brakes and pulled over next to me to take some shots of the exact same thing. We chatted for a bit and it turns out they were from Austin. Not sure if they are on TWT or not though.

ColoradoResize-13.jpg

Camp outside of Aspen, in Difficult Campground. I was told that it was named after the nearby creek, but after trying to get the campground host to actually help us, I found out where the true name came from.

ColoradoResize-14.jpg

ColoradoResize-15.jpg

My first time to RMNP. It is such a shame that the Pine Beetles have decimated over half of the park. But it got better as the road continued on.

ColoradoResize-16.jpg

ColoradoResize-17.jpg

Our last camp of the trip, where we finally didn't get rained on in the late afternoon. So we took the opportunity to finally dry out our camping gear. I hate packing it up wet, but when you are in a valley and the sun doesn't break over the mountain till 9 or 10 it is really hard to dry a wet tent in the morning without making for a really late start.

ColoradoResize-18.jpg

Mt. Evans, the highest paved auto road in North America. If it looks cold you would be correct. It was 38 degrees with a sustained 30-40mph wind with gusts up to 50. And the frost heave on the way up helped make the ride even more fun.

From here we headed into Denver to meet up with a long time friend of Rachel's, and then we boogied down to Colorado Springs. It was pretty late in the day so we just stayed in a hotel and got up bright and early to head up Pike's Peak. Then after that we made a break for Salida to attend the wedding of my cousin. No, I won't bore you with wedding photos.:-)

Alright, enough of this. I need to get out and prep a KLR for an upcoming trip.:trust:

Re: Colorado Part 1 of 2

Nice pics, Bill. Camping in CO sounds and looks wonderful. Maybe one day. My next trip will get me up into Aspen and the Rocky Mtn National Park. Missed it this time. 14,130'......I guess a spare O2 catridge is now on my pack list.
Keep 'em coming!

Nic pics, Bill. Where were you camped in the Silverton area?

Nic pics, Bill. Where were you camped in the Silverton area?

South Mineral Creek Campground. I could have stayed in that little valley for a few days and been perfectly happy. It was just awesome.

South Mineral Creek Campground. I could have stayed in that little valley for a few days and been perfectly happy. It was just awesome.

Agree! I spent ten days parked in that place and could have stayed all summer.

You covered a lot of ground for only 18 pictures! They are beautiful. Very nice report. I agree with your assesment of South Mineral Creek. Here's a pic, not nearly as good as yours, from a little further down the road. There is free camping at the end of the road that meanders beside South Mineral Creek.

IMG_1282.jpg

You covered a lot of ground for only 18 pictures! They are beautiful.

Well, I have plenty more but these are the ones that I really liked. Out of all the shots I took, I had 60 some keepers and then posted 18 up here for you all to see.

I sent off one that I shot at South Mineral Creek to Costco to see how it would look blown up to 16"x20", so I'm hoping that it will turn out alright.

I saw several bikers climbing up to Monarch Pass......crazy!!!! I also saw MTBers driving back up the pass after their venture down the passes. I talked to one guy. He said it takes about 4-6 hours and about 33 miles with 3000' elev climbs when said and done. You don't have to do the whole ride. It just depends on where you want to stop and where you placed your pickup vehicle.

I thought so, Bill. I've stayed there, and based some great hikes out of there. Check my pix on FB from a 2008 vacation.

Great pix! Just got back from Ouray last night. Gonna take some getting used to this heat again. :sun:

I saw several bikers climbing up to Monarch Pass......crazy!!!! I also saw MTBers driving back up the pass after their venture down the passes. I talked to one guy. He said it takes about 4-6 hours and about 33 miles with 3000' elev climbs when said and done. You don't have to do the whole ride. It just depends on where you want to stop and where you placed your pickup vehicle.

This week has been the USA Pro Challenge bike race which finishes today here in Downtown Denver, when I left the office at 5:30 Saturday morning they already had the area between the capitol and city hall shut down. It started down in the Durango area and hit a bunch of those peaks and passes between here and there. The times that I have been up Evans I have always passed some bicycles grinding their way up the mountain, I prefer going up there on the motorcycle.

Nice pics, we still haven't made it down to SW Colorado, looks like that will have to be next year, just been a hectic first summer here.

Great pictures! They brought back memories of my Continental Divide ride through RMNP in July, and now you've piqued my interest in a Mt Evans trek next year.

Scott, this one is just for you.:trust:

I'm winded just looking at that pic! :giveup:

Good friend of mine did the "Triple Bypass" this year in CO. The Triple Bypass is a ride to or from Evergreen (Bergen Park) and Avon over three mountain passes. The ride is 120 miles from Evergreen (Bergen Park) to Avon over Juniper Pass (11,140 ft.), Loveland Pass (11,990 ft.), Swan Mountain and Vail Pass (10,560 ft.), with over 10,000 ft. of lung/leg challenging elevation gain! :giveup:

Great pics, Bill. Absolutely beautiful country.

Hey Bill - With your pure street tires, did you have any problems on the dirt road riding up to South Mineral?

A couple of us are making the trip up there, late Sept and 1st week of Oct. The pics are teasers for us! Thanks for posting. Keep'em coming! :rider::rider:

Hey Bill - With your pure street tires, did you have any problems on the dirt road riding up to South Mineral?

Not at all, it was a super hard packed dirt. Even after an inch of rain overnight the road was almost dry by morning.

:clap:

Bill you are putting your camera to good use. That rainbow cloud is outstanding. The quality of you photos are too. Love the misty valley shots.

Thanks for taking us along, hope your next trip is a good one too.

Coming down from Evans last month, I crossed a gal, jogging up the mountain. I gave her the peace sign and thumbs up. That got a wave and smile from her. We crossed about 12,000 feet. Respect Respect Respect.

:clap:

Bill you are putting your camera to good use. That rainbow cloud is outstanding. The quality of you photos are too. Love the misty valley shots.

Thanks Duke, that means a lot coming from you.

Great pics, Bill. Thanks for sharing! How did Rachel like the ride up Mt. Evans? I was a bit freightened myself when we went up last July. It was raining and freezing. :shock:

Back