• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

"Riding my Thumb towards Mexico" Friday

Gravel Guy

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Drumm
Morning Folks,
Actually I'll be on the KLR! ;-)
I am taking a day ride out to Del Rio from Thorndale this Friday. Any suggestions for a good meal Friday night there? Any TWT'ers want to meet for supper? I have to give a training class on Saturday morning; and will then leave around noon or 1:00 for home, via Langtry, Pandale, Juno, Rocksprings, etc.....
Open to any must see suggestions.......
:sun:

Last edited:
Why don't you cross the bridge into Ciudad Acuña so you can change the thread title to "into"

There's supposed to be a decent steak house on veteran's blvd about three blocks down and across the street from the Ramada. I'll be up there tonight for work and I'll ask around and report back to you.

Well if you come near canyon lake area, you could stop by our new place for a visit and a break.
Thanks Bob, I'll stay in touch!

There's supposed to be a decent steak house on veteran's blvd about three blocks down and across the street from the Ramada. I'll be up there tonight for work and I'll ask around and report back to you.
Appreciate the help, Oscar!

:sun:

Watch for an open house anouncement for Nov 3. We have a large BBQ pit that I don't know what to do with. Do you know anyone that might have the skills to do something usefull with this pit?

Animal sacrice? Burnt offerings? Sacrfice a virgin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk when i should have been doing something useful

Check and see if it's safe to go across. Crosby's is just a few blocks from the crossing and they are a great place to go. We go there every time we are in Del Rio but it's been a few years now. But I haven't heard of any cartel activity there.

Watch for an open house anouncement for Nov 3. We have a large BBQ pit that I don't know what to do with. Do you know anyone that might have the skills to do something usefull with this pit?

I know some of the finest BBQ experts in Tejas :trust:

Why don't you cross the bridge into Ciudad Acuña so you can change the thread title to "into"

If you go over the Amistad Dam is my favorite way in it does not open until 10am if I recall but is still a fairly low key entry and exit and is a neat way into Acuna

Oh Wrights Steak House on 90 North of Del Rio

It's not exactly a "nice meal" by most definitions, but whenever I'm in Del Rio, I eat at Salas Better Burger.:eat:

It's a little neighborhood burger stand that serves up one of the best burgers I've ever had.

http://www.salasbetterburger.com/

Last time I passed through was on a Sunday and Salas was closed, so I ate at Poncho's Mexican Restaurant. I seem to remember a pretty top notch taco plate. They're a block off of Veteran's Blvd, near 8th and G.

I've heard Salas Better B urger and Memo's are pretty good. El Patio Del Rio and Manuel's were a couple of the others I'd heard of. I haven't had a chance to try em out myself, but these are the ones I heard of. If I find any others, I'll let you know.

I got my aluminum panniers mounted on the KLR and a new safety riding jacket thanks to TexTom! First real fancy riding jacket I've ever had!!
Now all I need is some plastic tubing and a cork for gas tank money storage!
:lol2:

Attachments

• PANJACKET.jpg
    PANJACKET.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
safe travels! Have a good ride with lots of miles and some pie!

I got my aluminum panniers mounted on the KLR and a new safety riding jacket thanks to TexTom! First real fancy riding jacket I've ever had!!
Now all I need is some plastic tubing and a cork for gas tank money storage!
:lol2:

Have a good safe trip Double-G.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Billy: Hey man, everything that we ever dreamed of is in that teardrop gas tank - and you got a stranger over there pourin' gasoline all over it. Man, all he's got to do is turn and look over into it, man, and he can see that...
Capt. America: He won't know what it is, man. He won't know what it is. Don't worry, Billy. Everything's all right.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm heading to Del Rio today as well but on a family trip to visit my brother that's in the Air Force. When he was there 5 years ago I went to Ma Crosby's, Corona Club and the other bars across the border, do Americans still go to those places that much?

I saw TB's on Anthony Bourdain's show so I went there and it was good for bar & grill food.

Gravel Guy - If you get a chance, ride Ranch Road 674 from Brackettville to Rocksprings. It's a hoot, twisty and scenic as it runs along some cliffs with the West Nueces River.

Did you say panniers? Here is a KLR wannabe:

funny-fully-accessor_600x0w.jpg

Rusty, I never knew you rode your DR650 to Alaska.

Where's the ride report?:lol2:

Back