• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Cuatro Viejos and Hooliah too...

Morning day three,
Milton couldn't find his wallet, he last saw it when he got on his bike leaving the "elotes stand" after dinner last night. We rode up and down Main Street looking for it and when we got back to the cabin he found it in his backpack.
Onward! To Galeana!

Actually I found it during the third look in my packed away jeans. It’s like, after the 1st night in Cadereyta I emptied my wallet of all extraneous junk, sliming it down to ID, 1 credit card and a few bills. I guess it was now so abnormally thin that I could do a pat down of my jeans twice and it not register. Regardless, the prospect of a missing wallet reared its ugly head in Cienega and my buddies were all trolling up and down the sleepy street of Cienega looking for it.

Are we ready for Dia 4 ??

The Adventures of Cuatro hombres viejos (four gentlemen of maturity)

4%20hombres-L.jpg

To address your first question: Is it really safe to ride in Mexico?

Answer: NO…it’s tragically dangerous
Convience store in Los Troncos

Mayo has been a source of local information for years.
His father (the dentist) smiles from the bench.
I'm guessing the girl must be Mayo's daughter. I think he introduced me.
Aramberi, NL
Photo by Stingray

121229_187-L.jpg

Trail boss John T.
Milpillas, NL

121229_129-L.jpg

I just had a vision of Cuatro Viejos (four old geezers) running from a BIG BEAR at Mesa de Osa.....Did you know bears can run 45 - 50 MPH...:eek2: What a great report!...Incredible Picture's...Awesome!

You know...I didn't really have to worry about outrunning the bear...just one of my slower fellow viejos! :rofl:

And those visions...get you a dose of New Mexico green chili stew and wash it down with a snort of Cabrito tequila. Straighten out those visions right quick. :cool2:

El Dia Tres – Mas ( you know…more of three)

Interesting bunch of 4 wheeler folks. All of them were younger chaps and one guy had his young son hitched up on the back of his rig. Little dude was maybe 8 or 9, out hanging with his Dad and his mates. Looked like he was having the time of his life. Heck, we probably looked the same way to him…just with gray hair. :thumb:

PC280260.jpg

We kind of leapfrogged up the mountain with them. They’d stop to do whatever and we’d get past. We’d stop to take picts and they’d come wheeling along - kicking up an awful dust storm going by.

We met up with them at the top. I rode over to visit…immediately was offered a cold Telcate. We talked about all the cool riding here and they wanted to know about riding in our Hill Country. So much for thoughts of ambush shenanigans along the trail… :roll:

Climbing along at ever higher altitude became noticeable on the old pig…especially coming up out of a switchback. Course, on a KLR, how can you really tell? :wary: Think the highest we saw was something like 9200’.

PC280289.jpg

The view from on high.

PC280277.jpg

And further along the trail…

PC280286.jpg

PC280284.jpg

PC280281.jpg

PC280283.jpg

PC280279.jpg

Three of the finest riding chaps a feller could ever hope to enjoy the company of. More about that later...

pano6-red.jpg

Eventually we started coming down on final approach to Reyones.

PC280285.jpg

PC280291.jpg

Reyones is a smaller town…doesn’t cover a lot of area proper but you start seeing pecan and avocado orchards along the river way before coming into town. Where there is water, there will be agriculture. Where there is agriculture there will be folks living in towns of relative comfort. The place even has a gas station and “paved” streets. Yep, every street I saw in town was made just like this. Now, how the heck do you build streets like this? :huh: Remarkably smooth to ride on. Not nearly the hemorrhoid bashing one might expect.

PC280290.jpg

Relatively minor changes in elevation (as compared to Colorado standards) cause the landscape here to look drastically different. Like going from mountain rain forest to desert within only a three or four thousand feet change. Kind of jerks around the senses in a surreal sort of way.

PC280292.jpg

PC280293.jpg

After becoming almost numb from all the spectacular scenery along the trail, we eventually came into beautiful Galeana - way earlier than our usual racing with the sun kinds of afternoons where I look at the GPS and see we have 45 minutes to go 55 miles and it's getting kinda chilly already. More latent trauma from that snotcicle run...I'll eventually get past it. :brainsnap

PC290298.jpg

Beautiful town with lots of options for diner, watering holes and a couple of ferretarias (hardware stores) where we could start to replenish and repair what the trail hath wrought.

PC290301.jpg

They had a holiday festival on the square going on that was pretty cool. Kind of nice to have some time to enjoy this place.

Tomorrow…*my most very favoritest awesomest day*.

Bring on the canyon, rocks, rivers and gliding toward the edge of the world.

Bring on El Dia Quatro!

PC280295.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to let us live a little of your adventure vicariously through your pictures and words. :thumb:

Day 4: Galeana – Aramberi (via some dirt)
Heck, I mispelled Galeana !
SOM%20Day4%202012-X3.jpg

Here’s a bit of a closer look.
Simple enough.
SOM%20Day4%202012-2-X3.jpg

:drums: :drums: :drums:

You know...I didn't really have to worry about outrunning the bear...just one of my slower fellow viejos! :rofl:

And those visions...get you a dose of New Mexico green chili stew and wash it down with a snort of Cabrito tequila. Straighten out those visions right quick. :cool2:

Good one R.G.! :rofl: I did'nt think about outrunning some of the slower fellow mature gentlemen.....:rofl:

We had a right fine visit with the mayor

PC270220.jpg

The mayor looks familar Milton, Did he remember you? :sun:

Any Sangria, lime and tequila this time Scott? (or what was it, I don't remember)

Looks like a great ride - Keep it coming --- Thanks for the write up!!! :clap:

Meeel tone
(Its Scott calling up to my room from the plaza)
Si
We are eating in the bakery next door.
I’m coming.

We wrestled breakfast. Things move pretty slow down here and people just aren’t in a hurry to get up. Besides, it’s cold.
We packed up and gassed up and headed out down the highway. Highway? Just my nearly most favorite piece of asphalt in Mexico. Hwy 2.
Some confusion at Pabillo. I understood we were leaving the asphalt at this point and headed to Aramberi the back way. John made a very astute decision to exit further down the road, at San Juanito. Which in retrospect, was the most sensible choice. We had plenty on our hands as it were.

Exit asphalt at a spot called San Juanito, and from there found the elusive Arroyo Road. What it is, you see, is you turn off the road at a low water crossing and follow the arroyo into the hills. Oh what great fun. I would never have done this route…… if I hadn’t already done it before. (With Chuck, as a matter of fact.) Really, a great time was had by all, pickin’ our way thru the rocks, following vague cow trails, looking for secret short cuts, but the cows knew them all.

Tight squeeze along the Arroyo Road.
121229_089-XL.jpg

Scott’s pic. The Arroyo Road, brake light permanently on
Milpillas%20arroyo-XL.jpg

Scott breaking out of the arroyo.
121229_101-L.jpg

On the way out of the canyon Scott and I watched two men hauling water by the bucket full up the hill to their house. One of them came over and chatted. Life is hard, here.

We had a right fine visit with the mayor
PC270220.jpg
The mayor looks familar Milton, Did he remember you? :sun:

Well of course he did, Chuck.
He didn't have any cokes at his house though, but he led us to the coolest little beer garden you can imagine.
I was trying to convince the guys to let him put us up in one of his cabanas.

Do you remember this?
Milpillas%20arroyo-L.jpg

When we hit the what I’ll call Milpillas Rd, John and Greg went right when they shouldda gone left.
Well, let’s back up a little.
John sent Greg down the wrong way, and then chased after him. Greg put miles between him and the crossroads.

In the meantime, Scott and I cooled our heels at the crossroads. A place called San Jose de Jilguero. Waited. And waited.

Getting the shot
Milpillas%20getting%20the%20shot-L.jpg

The shot.
Old school house, at San Jose del Jilguero, near Milpillas

121229_108_09_10%20hdr-XL.jpg

Milton. What maps are those and where can I buy them?
The maps are hand made hand me downs. :trust:
I can't tell you where to buy them. It's tricky and requires time and patience.
Start with Miller BluePrint and keep asking and keep looking.
They are not all equal. You have to look for the newest editions.
But thanks for asking.
They are Mexican issue 1:250 000 topo maps. Scanned and stiched together.

Well, I have the INEGI maps for most of my planned route but yours seem to have even more detail. Example. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357981923.806515.jpg

Well, I have the INEGI maps for most of my planned route but yours seem to have even more detail. Example. View attachment 25156

Yep. You have to watch the edition. The newer ones have more pseudo-relief, but they are harder to find. There's no magic bullet here. I got some from Omni maps. Miller BluePrint (Austin) used to get them hand delivered from Mexico. Sometimes you had to wait 6 months. Try Omni maps, they let you see details before buying as I remember. And they flat out might be unavailable in some regions.

Thanks a bunch. I will try to run them down. Love to buy you lunch sometime and go over our proposed route. I'm just up the road near Waco.

CeeBee-- Any Sangria said:
Chuck, that's what it was!
Sangria, Lime and Tequila. Sounds like a good title for a country song eh? We did eat dinner at the General while in Galeana but didn't have any of the tripple shots although I did tell the story :mrgreen:

They have since taken down the sombrereos so there will never be another one of these: (pict from 2009 Mextrek)

sombreroLarge-L.jpg

Back