• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Austin Texas Hill Country Dual Sport Day Trips

Love to but going to big bend next week.got some tune up to do.
Got brackets for saddle bags
Also just scored on two military hard cases. Which will look cool on cagiva!
Will post pics of ride also just got go pro hero 3 to install.

Lot of good ridin going on.....y'all have fun Wes.

Thanks biker jones hope have fun ride Saturday weather going to be sweet! I'm taking off wednesday on trip riding from Austin to big bend! Can't wait!:rider::bbq::chug:

Britt...Thanks for the tour of the area, it was a great ride. Nice meeting you and Jamie and for those that missed it ya missed a good day.:sun: Looking forward to our next ride already. And thanks for helping me with my scoot.

Had a blast today, we have to do this again soon.

20130316_103218.jpg

20130316_103221.jpg

20130316_105101.jpg

20130316_110734.jpg

20130316_132239.jpg

20130316_141936.jpg

20130316_141950.jpg

P.S. I've been burping that BBQ all day and smiling like only good 'Q can do. :mrgreen:

Wish I was there but you'll be jealous of me as I take off for big bend on weds.
Can't wait to ride with you all soon!!

03/16/13 ATHCDSDT Ride Report

On a day that you could not ask for better weather…….maybe a little less wind…….but not better weather…….another Hill Country Dual Sport Day Trip was logged into the record book.

Saucesquatch, my6 and I met at Backwoods in Bee Caves, made our formal acquaintances, discussed various motorcycle topics, and at 9:15am we proceeded to ride into the wind………literally!!!!!

031613a_zps3395957f.jpg

Our destination…………..Castell.

Our purpose………….because it is there…….and because they have BBQ.

We were riding against the clock on this trip, so we didn’t stop for too many pictures or breaks.

We did stop to top off the tanks at the Shell in Round Mountain and were quickly on our way again at 10:15am.

Our route took us down the ever so scenic county roads in this area……….including CR315…….

031613b_zps7710dbb5.jpg

The locals must have known we were riding against the clock…………so they made sure that this ride through open range included a typical Texas Traffic Jam……..

031613c1_zps43b6f757.jpg

This particular traffic jam immediately transformed into a Texas Traffic Calming Device……whereas the cows proceeded to walk down the middle of the road………and would not move to either side to allow us to pass………..for a quarter of a mile or so. I was tempted to ride the bar ditch and pass them but I didn’t want to make them run.

031613c2_zpsf3807ae2.jpg

After all………a fat cow is a tasty cow………..I mean……a happy cow.

There were quite a few wet creek crossings…………one of which Saucesquatch tested his riding skills by sliding sideways…….with the shiny side up of course.

Here is the classic and ever so popular Sandy Creek crossing where Saucesquatch………and then my6…………really made a splash……..

Saucesquatch………
031613d1_zpsf3c3bd45.jpg

031613d2_zpse9d1bff1.jpg

031613d3_zps434e8f75.jpg

031613d4_zps014f255c.jpg

my6……..
031613e1_zps80c74f18.jpg

031613e2_zps41d4998b.jpg

031613e3_zps43b42421.jpg

031613e4_zpsca078df4.jpg

031613e5_zps80be83bf.jpg

031613e6_zpsbd6342a1.jpg

We stopped briefly in Sandy Creek to discuss the exposed rocks on the hills we had passed. I mentioned to Saucesquatch and my6 that one of the hills appears to have a cave that you can see from the county road.

After arriving in Castell at approximately 12:10pm, we were very lucky to find an empty picnic table in the shade…..which we gladly shared with other folks.

031613f_zpsfa8b1c7b.jpg

Soon after we ate, we were on the road again, headed back to Austin. To save time, our plan was to take the same route….however……..I took a wrong right turn (as opposed to a correct left turn) which lead us a couple of miles out of the way. We could have proceeded the way we were going, but it would have added more time to our travels, so we doubled back the way we came.

This slight detour gave us the opportunity to ride some 4” inch +/- thick sugar sand.

Once we were back on track, we stopped to see the cave in the hill. While we were stopped, we were passed by a half dozen jeeps going in the opposite directions……at least they were a friendly bunch of folks as we all said hi, hello and howdy as they went on their way.
We proceeded down CR315 to 308 and 310 to take Saucesquatch to HWY 71 so he could make a little better time getting back to Austin.

My6 and I backtracked up 310 and 310A.

When we got to 3347, we planned on doing a loop along Smith/West Road to 1323 to CR307 and back up Hwy 281 to get gas at the Shell.

However, my6’s gas tank had a different plan.

After switching to reserve while riding down 3347……then………..a mile or two later on 972……….my6 had to lean the bike over to get to the special reserve……...then again in another mile or so…….we leaned the bike over into the bar ditch to get to the extra special reserve…….

Therefore, my6’s gas tank decided that we would get gas first………then do 281 to 307 to 1323 to Smith/West Rd and back to 972.

Still, it was a great addition to the ride……..my6 and I even did a slight detour to a granite quarry with a very enticing pond……..enticing on a hotter day in the near future that is.

As with all of these rides….we encountered a lot of wildlife……..of special interest were the 8 to 10 deer that jumped a fence within a safe distance yet close enough to have to slow down and proceeded to crossed the road and jump the other fence………another instance was a half dozen or so turkeys that took flight as we got close to them. Several times we were in the close vicinity of skunks…..you can tell by their smell in the air…..but luckily we didn’t encounter them directly.

It was great meeting and riding with you Saucesquatch and my6…….let’s do it again,
Britt

Had a blast today, we have to do this again soon...........

P.S. I've been burping that BBQ all day and smiling like only good 'Q can do. :mrgreen:

Definitely......we will do it again.

That for posting your pics.

They have great clarity. What kind of phone do you have?

I especially like the panoramic shots.

Britt...Thanks for the tour of the area, it was a great ride. Nice meeting you and Jamie and for those that missed it ya missed a good day.:sun: Looking forward to our next ride already. And thanks for helping me with my scoot.

The pleasure was all mine.

If you know when you might be in this area again, shoot me a pm and if life's schedules allow, we will be sure to do another ride.

if you have the time and the weather isn't freezing......we might go do the James River crossing. :rider:

Definitely......we will do it again.

That for posting your pics.

They have great clarity. What kind of phone do you have?

I especially like the panoramic shots.

Thanks man, it's a Samsung GSIII, it's got a great camera. Actually the GSIV is going to be coming out soon so there will be deals on the GSIII if your looking to upgrade.

Looks like you guys had a great time great pics of the water crossing!
Saddle bags guards are on work great
Extra gas pods mounted
Gps on
Install go pro soon
Yeah haw here we go!

Thanks man, it's a Samsung GSIII, it's got a great camera. Actually the GSIV is going to be coming out soon so there will be deals on the GSIII if your looking to upgrade.

My wife is looking to upgrade............phones.:lol2:

She wants something with a good camera. I'll let her know to check out the Samsung GS's.

I use a crackberry......it does all I need it to do.

I got my front pilot power on so I'm ready for some interesting off road riding next time! I need to get off my *** and get the rear mounted.

I'll have to wait for a couple of weekends before I can ride.

This coming weekend our granddaughters are coming over for Easter.

Next weekend (4/7) I promised the wife I'ld take her for a hill country drive in cage. You might see us in Castell eatin steak.

Brit, what was the dudes name that let me borrow his extra clutch cable when mine snapped? He was out of austin, rode a black KTM 990.

I need to return that cable to him with thanks but ive lost contact with him.

Trace

Thinking of going other way to basdrop kingsindian going go check out basdrop fire dept. did extreme makeover there. Are there any good dirt rodes to hit while there?

Back