• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Post your Day Rides Here!

Bit of a spontaneous ride to eat last evening.
Wife and I took the little bike to Glenrose to the Riverhouse Cafe.
Riverhouse is a converted turn of the century 2 story home located just off the square .

We arrived about 7pm, at the tail end of a huge, day long crowd that ran service waaaaaay into the evening with a few bridal showers and not one but two wedding rehersal dinners. Took about 45 minutes to get a menu, they were that slammed. The wait was pleasent sitting on the porch with coffee and flat bread.
the staff performed yeoman service and soldiered on and got things done in admirable fashion. And what the hey...we're relaxing on the weekend so what's the rush anyway?
The wife has eaten there on several occasions and commented that the slow service was not typical at all.

When the food was served it was excellent. We had previously been to a private dinner at Bernards Mill museum in Glenrose catered by Riverhouse and had a pretty good idea the food would be worth any delay in service. It was!
I had the Voodoo blackened shrimp pasta. The shrimp would make a cajun blush and the pasta would bring tears of joy to the eyes of any Italian.
We left right after the 9pm close, and plan on returning.
http://www.theriverhousegrill.net/
Riverhouse_zpsea3b45ab.jpg

Bit of a spontaneous ride to eat last evening.
Wife and I took the little bike to Glenrose to the Riverhouse Cafe.
Riverhouse is a converted turn of the century 2 story home located just off the square .

We arrived about 7pm, at the tail end of a huge, day long crowd that ran service waaaaaay into the evening with a few bridal showers and not one but two wedding rehersal dinners. Took about 45 minutes to get a menu, they were that slammed. The wait was pleasent sitting on the porch with coffee and flat bread.
the staff performed yeoman service and soldiered on and got things done in admirable fashion. And what the hey...we're relaxing on the weekend so what's the rush anyway?
The wife has eaten there on several occasions and commented that the slow service was not typical at all.

When the food was served it was excellent. We had previously been to a private dinner at Bernards Mill museum in Glenrose catered by Riverhouse and had a pretty good idea the food would be worth any delay in service. It was!
I had the Voodoo blackened shrimp pasta. The shrimp would make a cajun blush and the pasta would bring tears of joy to the eyes of any Italian.
We left right after the 9pm close, and plan on returning.
http://www.theriverhousegrill.net/
Riverhouse_zpsea3b45ab.jpg

WOW, thanks for this report and the recommendation! Each Easter, we have a family event with our children. This year we will be in Glen Rose at the Inn on the River. Your recommendation helps with some of the eating options.

Nothing as enticing as Voodoo blackened shrimp pasta, but yesterday afternoon I did meet up with a couple Louisiana fellows with brand-spanking-new dual sports bikes and took a short ride out thru the Bodcau Wildlife Management Area to Cotton Valley & back. Here's Ken on his new DRZ400 & Jay on his new CRF250L -- and my old bike :rolleyes: -- at Ivan Lake:

get-photo.asp

went on a short ride today. Some paved and some not.

Attachments

• country road 1.jpg
    country road 1.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 229
  • country road 2.jpg
    country road 2.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 209
Good stuff dudes! Glad to see you guys are getting in some wheel time before summer cooks your brains.

I'm still sneaking out here but have forgotten the camera on the last few, so cell phone shots only... and no cleanup on the computer because my monitor is acting up :(.

First, kid is having a ball with his Oset ;-). This was coming home after ripping it up in the dirt.
i-8jXf3cx-M.jpg

Loving the time change... finally light out until a usable hour so I snuck out with some friends after work on Thursday.

Goofing around with the MegaLR.
i-GRwrBfg-M.jpg

Old buddy of mine on his first motorbike, heading through a lava field.
i-N54t96Z-M.jpg

The hamming dude ended up in a 6' deep icy mud-puddle about 10 seconds after this picture... completely drenched.
i-K97vmWg-M.jpg

Ripped a bunch of powerline road until we ran into snow and mud, and then hit singletrack back to the trailhead that night.

Saturday morning me and the MegaLR guy snuck out for a fast desert rip. The guy's been on motorbikes for a long time, but on dirt for only a couple months. And I'll deny this to my grave, but he's faster than I am in the open desert. On a KLR. :doh: (Takes more risks too...)

Topping out a rather steep climb (see the tiny road in the background?)
i-XqvXq6v-L.jpg

Beauty and the Beast
i-68QWFs9-M.jpg

Riding in March... somebodies gotta do it.
i-v7pvgpQ-M.jpg

Cool old ranch landmark.
i-m9f6kbW-L.jpg

Have I mentioned that I enjoy the riding up here?

Back to commuting on the old girl after Big Bend, stopped to eat lunch on Cameron Road, near the Equestrian center between Parmer Road and 130....and found a great shady spot to rest (summer is coming) and a concrete water crossing that is doable on a KLR, but a bit slick..... Sodapop told me that a Pflugerville teacher was killed at this crossing during times of flooding, and that is why they built the new and higher bridge.

Attachments

• CECcrossing313.jpg
    CECcrossing313.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 219
Lugged all my gear to work this morning and then rode the bike back after lunch so I could sneak out after work. No sure thing today, we've been getting hammered at work and the weather went a bit south but what the heck. Last minute announcement on my little Moto Bend Facebook page and I had a taker, my buddy Mike Gray on his beast of a KLR.

Headed out with the temp in the upper 30s and ran into light snow before getting to the trailhead. Tried to thaw the fingers a bit before we hit dirt.

Dirt was amazing after a day and a half of good rain, although definitely had to pay attention. Lots of semi-frozen ruts, semi-frozen mud, and thoroughly frozen rocks.

Got into the lava field and had to thaw my fingers on the motor. Nice sun and snow at the same time.
i-JNLLBc9-L.jpg

Made it all the way down to one of our summer riding areas with some challenging riding. It was hard to tell if it was dry or slippery/icy....

Got in some pretty good snow/ice riding at the turnaround point, got slightly lost for a bit, and then managed find the powerline back home. Sunset while going through this area is stunning.
i-NXzvWQL-L.jpg

How true Mike's helmet is. Pace was pretty high and the steering damper probably saved me at least twice tonight. Mike almost wadded it up in a downhill rock garden right in front of me, epic save. Also got to see a whole herd deer crossing in front...
i-kwQ79rN-L.jpg

Snow was covering our tracks on the way back and freezing the mud and water, pretty challenging but lots of fun. Stopped at Good Life Brewery for beer and dinner and friends. Good ride, good times, Good Life.

"Good life" understatement of the month.

Congratulations on your life choices.:clap:

You and your wife are portable, Vinny. Go where the riding is good! :trust:

Contemplating some additional life changes up here, we'll see what happens.

If his wife is anything like mine, the roots run deep in this area and take priority over my needs. We hope to come up with a compromise for the retirement years. But for her home will always be Central Texas.

Interesting ride today.....got to see how a different group of bikers rides.....Jenn and I rode with the Louis Run 2013 crowd out of Thorndale, this is the 13th CC benefit ride and it attracts mostly cruisers, bobbers and loud harleys.........There was one Stelvio, one Goldwing, and Jenn and I were the only dual sports. Most of the riders started drinking first thing in the am, then left Thorndale about 11:30 for the next bar and town 35 miles away, and so on and so forth.....we followed them to the third bar (drinking coffee) and decided that we had enough. We made about 100 miles, and caught some gravel on the way home....much to the chagrin of sweetwife.......:lol2: well, how's she gonna learn if she doesn't ride it???? :shrug:
pic1) The crowd in Thorndale
pic2) My favorite bobber, handbuilt and named "CRACKNASTY", that son of buck naked weasel would idle about 15 rpm, and sounded like a grizzly fixin' to eat someone!!

Attachments

• LOUISRUN2013.jpg
    LOUISRUN2013.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 216
  • CRACKnasty2013.jpg
    CRACKnasty2013.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:

Getting her masters at UT. 1 more year. Then Asheville or Ft Collins.

Rode Emma long with a couple of guys today. 4 laps.
Riding Lago tomorrow. Planning on being sore monday:flip:

What a great day for a couple hundred mile ride. The heavy rains this morning left all them gravel roads/goatpaths north of Desdemona to I-20 and east to Patilo are in great muddy shape. Tudor and 107 were lots wetter than Deep Down on my way to the Loco Coyote to pick-up ribs for supper to take home.

What a great day for a couple hundred mile ride. The heavy rains this morning left all them gravel roads/goatpaths north of Desdemona to I-20 and east to Patilo are in great muddy shape. Tudor and 107 were lots wetter than Deep Down on my way to the Loco Coyote to pick-up ribs for supper to take home.

Cleatus, how's the new leaner flying?! :sun:

Nuther Austin ride to work, came home and explored a dead end road I've never seen before...found this cool old barn.

Attachments

• janakshacksm.jpg
    janakshacksm.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 201
In the months of December and January, I decided to attempt to ride my KLR on every Jefferson Davis Parish road that I could. In the end , I had over 1700 miles involved and still had a few roads to do. I was doing anywhere from 40 to 80 miles per day and saving the track files then downloading them to my computer at the end of the day. At the end, the map was starting to look like this
ScreenHunter_01Dec241439_zpsa920a7c9.jpg

Amazing the things you run across on this kind of a quest as probably 50% of the roads are gravel. With many though rice fields , etc.

IMG_1791CR2_zps64dd5569.jpg

and many leading to dead ends of a gated farmer's field

IMG_1794CR2_zpsa3c3bf3f.jpg

Some running in very low lying areas

IMG_1798CR2_zps4496d775.jpg

And, every once in awhile, even meeting traffic.
IMG_17841CR2_zpsc6c94c95.jpg

And, of course, a pic of the Parish Map

014_zps177af0d3.jpg

Along with the weapon of choice.

004-1.jpg

In the months of December and January, I decided to attempt to ride my KLR on every Jefferson Davis Parish road that I could. In the end , I had over 1700 miles involved and still had a few roads to do....

Attempting to ride every road in the parish/county is a big undertaking. I started a project to ride every road in Sabine Parish when I was working down there in 1996. My job played out after a mere ~300 miles and barely a dent in the project. Lots of fun tho -- found lots of dead-end roads plus a few washed-out bridges.

I've stopped and let a few gators finish crossing roads down here. You DON'T want to hit one on a bike.
Many dead end roads, bridges washed out or blocked due to now passing inspection ( but I'm able to get the KLR though many of those , but have to be cool about it as I'm a solo traveler ) . I just picked up an Acadia Parish Map yesterday so that project is fixing to start. ;-)
Now here in this next photo was one I took yesterday North of Crowley, LA on LA 98. Just made me smile big time and did a U turn to get it.
Road1.jpg

Thanks Dave C for coming over yesterday and sharing the Milam gravel....we rode the Lexington loop, got a Herks burg....what a spotless afternoon! Couple KLR's thumping through the countryside!
:sun:

What a fantastic day for a ride! I took the wife out on the back of the ST1100 and we did about 100 miles and then had some lunch.

I saw another TWTer at 304 and 71 in Bastrop as well.

http://goo.gl/maps/DrKLE

Back