• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2013 Texas Adventure Ride & Challenge: April 11-14

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may have a bed available at the HQ hotel Fri and Sat nights. PM me if you are interested and we can discuss. I won't know positively until tomorrow evening but it is 99% sure (riding pard tripped over his dog and voice mail said "I can't walk", my reply? "But can you ride?")

What!!!!!!

I will be bringing my Ural GU. I hope somebody else brings their Ural. :mrgreen:

I can't make it down this year, nor do I have a Ural ---- but I'd sure like to join you with a sidecar rig. Guess I need to work towards a suitable off-pavement rig.

My first TAR. Looking forward to the ride. Looks like weather will be good. Will be on a 1200 GS. Hopefully the heavier bike wont be an issue for the off road parts.

Annual Reminder RE: Tire Prep

Be sure to have available and carry the proper tubes and tools to deal with flats.

Each year on the Big Bend ride and at TAR it is not uncommon to see someone who flats and has never thought of how to deal with it nor are they prepared for it.

They don't have a tube

They don't have the tools

They've never fixed their own flat issues.

If you're this guy, at least stop by a store today or tomorrow and buy a tube(s) for your moto. Make sure you at least have the proper tool to fit your axles at minimum. It is likely someone with tire skills can help you but without at least the mentioned items, with a flat and no tubes or tools you are squarely into the "that guy" category. Do not be "that guy".

I rode with a great guy in Big Bend last month and Voilà, he flasts five miles into the day's ride.

No tube

No tool to remove the front axle nut

I flagged down a passing Far Flung Adventure jeep and used their lug nut wrench to loose the guy's axle. I had a tube to fit his bike and the swap went quickly.

Do not assume Slime will prevent you from flats. It is not 100% effective, and if you want to patch it after putting Slime it, you are out of luck. If you have Slimed tubes and no dry spare(s) you have put yourself in a tenuous situation if you flat.

Your cell phone and your buddy's own tubes for his bike do not make for your tire kit.

There is time left before the ride to at least have the basics.

My GS is tubeless. Have the Conti nobs installed. Plugs and compressor is about the extent of things with me. Hope that will be enough.

My GS is tubeless. Have the Conti nobs installed. Plugs and compressor is about the extent of things with me. Hope that will be enough.

I think you are totally fine - but track me down in Junction. I want to show you the Safety Seal brand string plug and their tools that I carry on my GS that I think are the best you can find for plugging a tubeless tire. And I've done a fair share of tubeless plugging, most recently for a buddy yesterday.

Really fantastic advice, Bob. Thank you for posting the reminder. And for those of us who typically carry that stuff with us, it's a good idea to double-check your kit before leaving for Junction. I failed to do so before I went to Big Bend for Uncle's rally and went to Terlingua without a spare rear tube. I had forgotten that I had given my spare tube to a fellow rider and had failed to buy another one.

Yes thanks for the advice. Also good idea to check the compressor and plugs to make sure all are still good.

Your Weekend Weather for Kerrville, Texas

i-76dMSsC-L.jpg

Ok, I signed up for the TAC, I'm in. I'm looking for some advice on which wheels to put on my KTM 950 Super Enduro. I have a 19/17 set with brand new Michelin Anakees or I can go with my 21/18 TKC 80's 50% left on the rear (only 500 miles in Big Bend). I'm riding down from DFW, so I would prefer the Anakees for the ride down and back.

Anyone that's done this before have any input? I did Big Bend last month with the TKC 80's and don't think I would have wanted to do that with the Anakees.

If you're asking for opinions I'll give you one.

You answered your own question in your last sentence.

Richard's TAC route is going to be more big bike friendly than last year's route. If I were doing it on my GS Adventure, it would be with Anakee 2s. Drop 5 psi off the normal tire pressure and don't try to keep up with the KTM 450s and you'll be fine.

I'll second the suggestion about checking your spare supply and tools. It is also a good idea to put air in your spare tubes to check for holes every once in a while. If you carry tubes long enough they can get holes worn in them from rubbing on the bag or something in the bag.
It is very aggravating to install new tube and then it will not hold air. Don't ask how I know!

I guess my question was, are the off road sections at Junction as challenging as Big Bend? If they are easier then I think I can get by with the Anakees.

Dang!!!! Words I hoped I would not have to say.

I'm out :-(

Last week my wife returned from a business trip carrying with her a full blown cold. I loaded up with Vit C, etc but nothing seems to hold off its onset.

I have a room at the Best Western for Thursday, Friday and Saturday which I will cancel later this morning. If you can use the room PM me and I'll see if I can get you the room.

Have a great ride and be safe!

I'm in!:rider: Doing the challenge and have a room booked in Kerrville for Friday nite. Need a room for Fri and Sat and would be willing to share. May decide to camp but not sure yet. Timbercat, pm sent.

I sooo wanted to make this ride but it just wasn't in the cards for me, this time. Looking forward to the ride reports and pics...

You don't need knobbies for slick water crossings.

Street bikes do it all the time.

It's technique, not tires.

I may bust west and ride with you cats...had not planned on it but hey its close and cheap...besides I need some new T shirts and stickers...

Looks like I'm going to miss this one - everyone ride safe and have fun!

The infamous MsBehave and I will most likely be infamously late and arrive Junction after the 8 pm close of registration. See y'all Friday morning? Bright or early...best make it early I imagine, bright comes up with the sun! See y'all in a couple days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back