• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Where is the BEST Chicken Fried Steak in Texas?

Goodson's in Tomball has the "best chicken fried steak in Texas", and has been on TV a couple of times too.

Order their large... I dare ya :) It comes on a separate plate from the rest of the meal.

Overall, it's not my favorite but some folks love it.

Hickory Hollow that others have mentioned also has a large CFS.

My favorite so far is at Peli Peli. it's a south African sort-of houty-touty place off of Hwy249 at Louetta.

The chef takes flat iron steak, tenderizes it, and uses corn chip(cereal) for the crust. It was awesome and different. but it was also $18

Next time I go I will try Goodsons. The drive there and back in one day ain't no fun. Maybe toying with the idea of staying somewhere Saturday night then having more time to play in Houston. I did wind up eating at Hickory Hollow and the CFS comes on a pizza pan!!! They have a sampler plate where you can get CFS,Brisket, and Grilled chicken. Or sausage,cfc, and others like bbq chicken,etc. Getting fat just thinking about it. Got to post the pic so you can check it out. The gravy there is called river bottom gravy I left it alone cause it looked like toxic waste. It was ketchup this time. :eat:Drew

7121d993-784b-4785-b4fe-c140e7cf4ef1_zps2e7ae73a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
7121d993-784b-4785-b4fe-c140e7cf4ef1_zps2e7ae73a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here is the Hickory Hollow picture in Houston I promised. Thanks st/sv,jbird and others that said this was a good place to eat. I had the medium CFS with fries. It comes out on a pizza plater! The chicken fried steak was real good as was the fries. The gravy is different so I passed using it. They call it river bottom gravy and thats what it looks like. Did get to sample the brisket which was good also. They have a large menu to include cfchicken,sausage,grilled chicken,brisket,salad bar,and lots of sides. If your in Houston try this place you will like it. Now its your turn wheres your favorite place to eat cfs. Drew

Cool to know it's still worth a stop if I'm in that part of town. A friend talked me into going there the first time back in the early '80s and ordering the large CFS. Just the meat came on one of those pizza platters and it was hanging over the sides. :eat:

Cool to know it's still worth a stop if I'm in that part of town. A friend talked me into going there the first time back in the early '80s and ordering the large CFS. Just the meat came on one of those pizza platters and it was hanging over the sides. :eat:

I am glad that I did not get the large!!! No way I could have finished it. They even have steaks and catfish. This place rocks. You can get a sampler platter with cfs,brisket,cf chicken,and sausage. How cool is that? Never ever seen a place that serves BBQ and has cfs all the tons of other stuff. I plan on eating there again this year. Bring your big boy appetite If you get the large. Drew

I didnt read this entire thread but my vote is Mary's in Strawn, TX.
Anyone can make great CFS but it is the gravy that separates the men from the boys!

I didnt read this entire thread but my vote is Mary's in Strawn, TX.
Anyone can make great CFS but it is the gravy that separates the men from the boys!

There are a bunch of votes for Marys but I did not care for the CFS there as much as other places. So far the Longhorn in Bryan/CS has been my favorite. Maybe it is the gravy that everyone likes there so much. I normally get it on the side cause it is not always good. Too runny or twice the pepper it should have. Thanks for throwing your two cents in. Keep em coming! Drew

Maybe it is the gravy that everyone likes there so much. I normally get it on the side cause it is not always good. Too runny or half the pepper it should have.Drew

Fixed that.....which explains the variety of gravy thoughts. :eat:

Wish I was anywhere but here in bed eating something better than pudding or soup broth. I told my wife that I would like chicken fried steak,home fries with green peppers and onions ,and scrambled eggs. Which in the shape I am in there is no way I can have but a pleasant thought. Any new spots for me to dream about till I better? Any help to make me get over this bland diet will be appreciated. Drew

Wish I was anywhere but here in bed eating something better than pudding or soup broth. I told my wife that I would like chicken fried steak,home fries with green peppers and onions ,and scrambled eggs. Which in the shape I am in there is no way I can have but a pleasant thought. Any new spots for me to dream about till I better? Any help to make me get over this bland diet will be appreciated. Drew

Drew, have I missed something? What other than old age is causing issues? Hope whatever is causing you to have to eat pudding and soup is soon gone and you quickly get back to being normal again.

Drew, have I missed something? What other than old age is causing issues? Hope whatever is causing you to have to eat pudding and soup is soon gone and you quickly get back to being normal again.

Thanks for asking. Yes old age and stress I think. Having a bout of diverticulitus and its pretty bad this time. I am not sure if I will ever be considered normal.:loco: That is why I was seeing if somebody had a new CFS place I can try once the pain and fever goes away. May try to limp in to work Thursday so I am not completely broke.:headbang:Drew

Having a bout of diverticulitus and its pretty bad this time.
Hope you get better soon.....

My father went through that in 2004-05, it is rough and he is not the same when it comes to food that he can eat. Told him it was a rough way to lose weight.

I also had one the partners at the first firm that I worked at in Austin have it again while I was working there, he had it rough for the second go round. He passed away last year and was only 5 years older than me (he was 54).

Hey what happened? Glad to see your on the healing path. Now lets talk about eating.:eat3: Getting sick of choco pudding,lemon-lime slushies and chicken noodle soup broth.:puke:

I went back to edit my post and messed it up so badly I just deleted it! Hope your condition improves daily. Mine is much better but still many miles to go. In the meantime' it's dual sport trip planning and bench racing.

I'm ready for CFS!

Thanks Burg650/Ken,bluedogok,Kojak,for the kind words. I am here at work sweating like crazy but will try to stick it out till closing. Drew

Have a friend that has intestinal issues that causes him to contract that same thing every 2-3 years and it seems worse every time. Do whatever it takes to get over it - good luck and get well soon.

Someone else will have to take pictures of the CFS for the thread, So if anyones going and happen to eat any please post it up here. I might try to cage it down for camping but I still have a fever and stomach issues that go with it. If I feel ok Sunday might try them for breakfast. Thanks for the kind words Jay,was wanting to meet you this time. Are you camping? Drew

I just had the best cfs my taste buds have ever chomped on. Bruno's in Lake City CO. I know it's not in Texas but it is without a doubt the best CFS I've ever eaten. I had one last Friday evening. Bruno is a French chef that has a killer fancy restaurant as well as a grill. The CFS was steak hammered out and battered perfectly. The gravy was as my sister described it as "good enough to drink from a cup". I was skeptical that it was that good but it is. Found out he puts cream and a little white wine in it. All I know is that it was fantastic.

Sorry no pic. Once I took a bite I couldn't stop. :eat:

the place I work at just added a CFS to their menu. It is pretty Darn good.
Hay Merchant in Houston. They got this thing that tenderizes meat. Makes it almost light. Almost. The beef congress from a domestic version of Kobe . Beer fed, courtesy of Saint Arnold's brewery.

Someone else will have to take pictures of the CFS for the thread, So if anyones going and happen to eat any please post it up here. I might try to cage it down for camping but I still have a fever and stomach issues that go with it. If I feel ok Sunday might try them for breakfast. Thanks for the kind words Jay,was wanting to meet you this time. Are you camping? Drew

Will be riding over Saturday with some guys from the Clear Lake area. I'll have to get back as I'm supposed to help a friend racing the EVO series at Rio Bravo (motocross) at 7:30 am Sunday morning. Will check out the CFS for you.

Will be riding over Saturday with some guys from the Clear Lake area. I'll have to get back as I'm supposed to help a friend racing the EVO series at Rio Bravo (motocross) at 7:30 am Sunday morning. Will check out the CFS for you.

Man I was so looking forward to this run but will be stuck at work. Even bought some new stuff to try out during camping. Thanks Jay hopefully catch you at another run. Yes let us all know if the CFS measures up.:photo: Drew

Back