• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Who gets credit for getting you into motorcycles?

long ago when Wide World of Sports ruled the world they had a fella named Evel Knievel doing things I had never seen done before.

Hate to give him credit, but my ex got me involved with bikes. He bought a beautiful BMW R1150RT & I really loved riding pillion. One day HE decided that I needed to know how to ride in case anything ever happened to him, leaving me responsible for getting the bike home. It didn't make a lot of sense to me cuz I couldn't touch the ground when I threw a leg over! BUT, he insisted & the next thing I know, I'm in an MSF class. What neither of us expected is that a little "gotta ride my own" monster suddenly came alive. So another BMW joined the family!
His teaching methods left a LOT to be desired, but thanx to Maverick, Abby, Euromedic & Tony, & a couple of other very patient riders, I finally got my "wings". Been in love with it ever since!

It's been said many times... my father started me down the dark path- he got me my first motorcycle, a Hodaka Ace 100, at age 14.

Now 45 years and 25 motorcycles later, I have several bikes, and my dad at 81 doesn't ride anymore, but lives vicariously through my adventures.

My uncle Sonny had a sidecar rig when I was 5 or so. I was fascinated but it was not really my thing. Too big and slow I guess...or saw it as an old-folks thing.

Then in high school (79-81) I met Drew (kickstand~prophet) who as far I could tell had always been a bike nut. He got me started on one of his KE100s then stretched my legs on his Honda Hawk. Now I can't remember a time without being on two wheels. And we've been best of friends ever since.

He infected me. I get unhappy if I go too long without riding. Even my wife knows that. ;-)

My uncle Sonny had a sidecar rig when I was 5 or so. I was fascinated but it was not really my thing. Too big and slow I guess...or saw it as an old-folks thing.

Then in high school (79-81) I met Drew (kickstand~prophet) who as far I could tell had always been a bike nut. He got me started on one of his KE100s then stretched my legs on his Honda Hawk. Now I can't remember a time without being on two wheels. And we've been best of friends ever since.

He infected me. I get unhappy if I go too long without riding. Even my wife knows that. ;-)

I was good up to the he's infected me part.:rofl:

If you have not meet Carl you have missed out. He is the only person that I known that does not complain about things:zen:. He still my best buddy after all these years. Plus a heck of a rider.:rider:

Hate to give him credit, but my ex got me involved with bikes. He bought a beautiful BMW R1150RT & I really loved riding pillion. One day HE decided that I needed to know how to ride in case anything ever happened to him, leaving me responsible for getting the bike home. It didn't make a lot of sense to me cuz I couldn't touch the ground when I threw a leg over! BUT, he insisted & the next thing I know, I'm in an MSF class. What neither of us expected is that a little "gotta ride my own" monster suddenly came alive. So another BMW joined the family!
His teaching methods left a LOT to be desired, but thanx to Maverick, Abby, Euromedic & Tony, & a couple of other very patient riders, I finally got my "wings". Been in love with it ever since!

It is nice that we have such wonderful people to help with whatever we need here at TWT.:sun:

When I was less than 6 months old, my dad rode me around on the tank of his old Harley.

I guess I could never get the feel of it out of my system from then on! :lol2:

When I got a little older, my grandparents bought me a Honda CT70 (without my parent's knowledge), and that little bike opened up a whole world of adventure and exploration. :rider:

When I was less than 6 months old, my dad rode me around on the tank of his old Harley.

I guess I could never get the feel of it out of my system from then on! :lol2:

When I got a little older, my grandparents bought me a Honda CT70 (without my parent's knowledge), and that little bike opened up a whole world of adventure and exploration. :rider:

It is mandatory to post a picture of the CT 70 if you have one.:trust:

Attachments

• trail 70.jpg
    trail 70.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 195
The heck with the build up:rofl:tell us about the Cougar.:-P

It's a 67 Cougar.

I bought it in 2006 online from a guy in Arizona, and it was a rust bucket. Holes rusted through the floors, front and rear. Holes rusted through the roof.

It had a good engine and transmission, and all the glass was intact.

My brother lives about 50 miles from the guy I got it from, so I had him pick it up for me, then I did a fly and drive back to Tyler. We had almost a week to get it road ready.

The steering had about 180º of slop in it, which made it interesting coming through the road construction in NM at the time. They had 2 areas of road work on I40 that were narrowed to one lane in each direction, lasting for 30 miles! There were concrete barriers on both sides, and absolutely no place to pull over if I broke down! :eek2: A tow truck would have had to back for miles all the way to the car if anything happened, so that part was a bit nerve wracking. Fortunately, the only time I had to stop and do any mechanical work was about 30 miles south of Flagstaff.

Anyway, I picked it up for $2500, and dropped close to another $2000 into her to get her the way she looks now. A friend of mine helped weld up the floors, since I didn't have a welder then, and I paid to have the top and headliner done because the front and rear glass had to be removed to do it.

I did the rest of the work myself. The upholstery work wasn't fun either! I still have a little more to do, like finish the dash, and I'd like to get A/C in it sometime.

Definitely not a show car, just a daily driver.

Attachments

• cougar 1.jpg
    cougar 1.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 184
It's a 67 Cougar.

I bought it in 2006 online from a guy in Arizona, and it was a rust bucket. Holes rusted through the floors, front and rear. Holes rusted through the roof.

It had a good engine and transmission, and all the glass was intact.

My brother lives about 50 miles from the guy I got it from, so I had him pick it up for me, then I did a fly and drive back to Tyler. We had almost a week to get it road ready.

The steering had about 180º of slop in it, which made it interesting coming through the road construction in NM at the time. They had 2 areas of road work on I40 that were narrowed to one lane in each direction, lasting for 30 miles! There were concrete barriers on both sides, and absolutely no place to pull over if I broke down! :eek2: A tow truck would have had to back for miles all the way to the car if anything happened, so that part was a bit nerve wracking. Fortunately, the only time I had to stop and do any mechanical work was about 30 miles south of Flagstaff.

Anyway, I picked it up for $2500, and dropped close to another $2000 into her to get her the way she looks now. A friend of mine helped weld up the floors, since I didn't have a welder then, and I paid to have the top and headliner done because the front and rear glass had to be removed to do it.

I did the rest of the work myself. The upholstery work wasn't fun either! I still have a little more to do, like finish the dash, and I'd like to get A/C in it sometime.

Definitely not a show car, just a daily driver.

Some Mustang parts will fit Cougars. I was working on Mustangs along time ago and might be able to assist you if you have any questions. I have a 67 Stang and Camaro both in need of a bunch of repairs that are on hold for motorcycles right now.

Some Mustang parts will fit Cougars. I was working on Mustangs along time ago and might be able to assist you if you have any questions. I have a 67 Stang and Camaro both in need of a bunch of repairs that are on hold for motorcycles right now.

I've bought a lot of my restoration parts from Mustangs Unlimited. Quite a bit is interchangeable mechanically, but a lot of the interior and some of the exterior is unique to the Cougar.

I still need to get a dash top, but they want around $400 for it, so I've had to put it on hold.
Some day I'll get around to finishing it, but like I said, it's a driver, not a show car.

I wanted something older that I could do the work on. I don't ever want anything newer than an 85 again! Too much electronic junk on those!

My boss gave me a 96 Grand Marquis, and although I appreciated the gift, the car was the worst pile of junk that I ever had! OK, not quite as bad as the first car I ever owned, a 72 Vega, but it was still more trouble than any other car I've had. :lol2:

All of our vehicles are older, and considered classics. Right now we have:
67 Cougar
93 Porsche 944
80 El Camino
82 F-100 Short Bed/Stepside

78 GL1000
73 HD Sportster
66 CT200

Also some Honda XR100 parts that I'm going to make into a very light in-town run-around bike.

69 Westerly Nomad sailboat

An ultralight plane frame and engines

Some motorized bicycle stuff (1 running, and parts for some other projects)

And my daughter's 85 Mustang.

Enough? I don't know yet! :lol2:

Don't get me started on classic cars. I might have to start a thread just about them.:trust: I have an 81 El Camino that is silver and black with maroon interior.

Dirt Road Cowboy that looks just like my first bike, (Honda trail 70), same color and everything. Mine was a 71 or 72.

My dad got it for me and my younger brother when he bought 60 acres and built a house on it. I was 11.:rider:

Dirt Road Cowboy that looks just like my first bike, (Honda trail 70), same color and everything. Mine was a 71 or 72.

My dad got it for me and my younger brother when he bought 60 acres and built a house on it. I was 11.:rider:

Those things are high as a Georgia pine right now. I do think that is the best color on those. Can you imagine how much fun a group of riders would have cruising around the yard on them?:rider:

My Dad never rode though my parents never demonized motorcycles either. My oldest brother, however, bought an Indian in the early 50s and sent photos of that sleek red machine to the rest of the family... And I got the itch that wouldn't be scratched for another decade. The rest of the family was overseas, so we never saw the Indian up close. By the mid-50s he had joined the PD in Detroit (eventually moving to the Houston PD) as a motor officer... So I fell in love with his Harleys. Despite that early crush, the only HD I ever owned was a brief relationship with a 1942 model in the 60s... But by then my brother was off police motorcycles and riding a (personal) Honda 160, on which he would meet the nicest people.

My Dad never rode though my parents never demonized motorcycles either. My oldest brother, however, bought an Indian in the early 50s and sent photos of that sleek red machine to the rest of the family... And I got the itch that wouldn't be scratched for another decade. The rest of the family was overseas, so we never saw the Indian up close. By the mid-50s he had joined the PD in Detroit (eventually moving to the Houston PD) as a motor officer... So I fell in love with his Harleys. Despite that early crush, the only HD I ever owned was a brief relationship with a 1942 model in the 60s... But by then my brother was off police motorcycles and riding a (personal) Honda 160, on which he would meet the nicest people.

Always liked the R65 BMW the LS model is one I would love to have. They hold their value well. As do all Bemmers. Do you ever make any of the pie runs? Be nice to see your ride in person.

Always liked the R65 BMW the LS model is one I would love to have. They hold their value well. As do all Bemmers. Do you ever make any of the pie runs? Be nice to see your ride in person.

Trying to make it to the Tomball Pie Run on the 28th. By the way, my first BMW was an R65LS...I traded it in on an R100 when I started lusting for more cc's... but eventually started working my way back down again!

Trying to make it to the Tomball Pie Run on the 28th. By the way, my first BMW was an R65LS...I traded it in on an R100 when I started lusting for more cc's... but eventually started working my way back down again!

Maybe I can get the day off if I beg enough and eye ball your BMW. I might be on mine or the Concours.

Back