• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Trippin' Connies 5: Glacial Express

Day 6 - 8/01/2013 – Kalispell, MT to Pendleton, OR - 472 Miles

Day 6 – MAP LINK

We had breakfast at the hotel again before hitting the road. The forecast basically showed we would be in rain all day long. Luckily it wasn’t raining yet, but we suited up and prepared. From the hotel we took US 93 south to MT 82 and then south again on MT 35. MT 35 ran along the east side of Flathead Lake. It’s the largest natural freshwater lake west of the Mississippi River in the contiguous United States. There was cherry farm after cherry farm along the road. I wanted to find a place to stop for some pictures, but I didn’t like any of the places we passed that had a lake view, so we kept moving on.

On the south side of the lake we joined back up with US 93 and soon after it began raining. We continued south on US 93 down to Missoula and ended up stopping for gas in Lolo, MT.
9508346344_7966f49bc1_c.jpg

9508345490_17d72f0620_c.jpg

There were a bunch of these types of rigs up north. Every time I would see one, all I could think of is how much I love my motor.
9505548199_959fec7fb6_c.jpg

A little over 30 miles later, we were entering yet another new state, Idaho. As you can see, the conditions still weren’t great. It was raining and we were trying to keep the fog on our face shields under control.
9508343336_550e121e9a_c.jpg

I knew this sign was coming up and that I wanted a picture of it. This isn’t the way I hoped to see it though, through a drizzle and with slick roads.
9508342244_7e0197551b_c.jpg

It was a great road with sweeper after sweeper, but the conditions were a bummer. I’m already slow, with twisty slick roads I’m even slower. But at the same time, if we didn’t keep a decent pace we were going to be riding until the sun went down. What the rain really did was kept me from stopping for pictures every 5 miles. We rode at least half of the road before there was a pocket in the rain and I was ready for a stretch. You can basically take the pictures below and imagine that for 100 miles, that was US 12 (Lolo Pass) through Idaho.
9505544913_481fb69f55_c.jpg

9508340224_e90c9b40f5_c.jpg

9508339228_3605450a85_c.jpg

9508338138_6d084700c0_c.jpg

9508337188_f24091c170_c.jpg

I took a few pictures of some passersby and then I made dad ride by for a picture.
9505539485_63297bda43_c.jpg

9508335714_b2a7aa4f3f_c.jpg

9505538923_c1e640a244_c.jpg

We took off and it wasn’t far down the road that something caught my eye across the river. It was a bald eagle and what looked to be a few juveniles. It wasn’t raining at the time so I told dad I was going to turn around. Since they were across the river I thought I might have a shot at getting some pictures of them. We looped back and as we slowly pulled up the mature bald eagle took off and started flying down the river. We rode alongside it for about 200 yards before it flew up and landed in a tree. It was one of the coolest things I’ve ever experienced. We found a spot to turn back around and the eagle too off again and this time I lost track of it. No pictures, but it will live in my memory bank forever.

Close to the Washington border we stopped for a break at Lewis-Clark Canoe Camp State Park. “These grounds have been inhabited for thousands of years by the Nez Perce people, but are best known as the place where the Lewis and Clark Corps Of Discovery worked with the Nez Perce to carve the canoes that took them to the Pacific Ocean in 1805.” After watching the canoe building show the other night, we now have some idea of the effort it may have taken to build those canoes. I peeled off my rain gear here hoping we had finally broken the rain.
9505537825_d15eed2176_c.jpg

Sniper shot of dad…
9505538139_2e69b8e32d_c.jpg

Coming into Lewiston, my GPS got confused and I ended up taking a wrong turn onto US 95 north. After getting back on track we ended up avoiding the town and crossing over into Washington on the north side of the Snake River. I missed the sign so we had to U-turn and come back to it. It wasn’t a great spot to stop. There wasn’t much of a shoulder and it was a pretty busy road.
9505537167_3aed909a25_c.jpg

I mentioned we had missed most of the town because we were now running low on gas and there weren’t any stations on our path. We stretched the gas out farther than I ever have to almost 240 miles before seeing a station in Pomeroy, WA. While we were here several combine harvesters rolled in to refuel. Those things were huge and not quiet.
9508332824_58fb5786d8_c.jpg

A lady walking out of the store asked if we wanted a picture so dad handed her his camera and here’s the result.
9505537287_d7770b6d43_c.jpg

I know Kansas is famous for wheat fields, but I really don’t recall seeing any as we traveled through there. The southeast corner of Washington, on the other hand, is nothing but wheat fields.
9505535973_b169a6759f_c.jpg

9505534765_44e9686ec3_c.jpg

9508330566_bcb5d833bb_c.jpg

Wheat fields as far as dad could see…
9508330122_a8c4406100_c.jpg

9505533411_45a0f6bc5a_c.jpg

There had to have been a Victory motorcycle rally in the area, there were tons of them on the roads around here. In Walla Walla we took WA 125 south and soon after we were at the border with Oregon.
9508329670_f62beff404_c.jpg

The road turned into OR 11 and we finished off the day riding into Pendleton, OR. After we checked into the Best Western we walked over to Shari’s and had breakfast for dinner, since it was just like a Denny’s. We were able to get free pie for dinner for staying at the Best Western, but we were so full neither one of us took up the offer. Back at the hotel I relaxed in the hot tub for a bit before going back to the room and crashing out.

Day 7 - 8/02/2013 – Pendleton, OR to Price, UT - 674 Miles

Day 7 – MAP LINK

I wish I could sit here and say that we got to ride all kinds of great roads on the way home, but that just wasn’t the case. We made a huge sacrifice this year to ride US 12 through Idaho and finish coloring in the Western states, knowing the last 3 days of riding would be long and boring, mostly filled with interstate. When you’re going from Pendleton, OR to Houston, TX in 3 days, there isn’t much time to have fun.

The hotel had some power issues over night so we didn’t get the best night sleep. There was a 3-hour period that the AC wasn’t working. Breakfast at the hotel and off we went. It was in the 50s and felt nice and cool for a little while.

There’s a short section of I-84 that is actually reminiscent of HWY 55 in the Texas hill country. And after that mile, things got much less interesting, but it still wasn’t too bad while in Oregon. We entered back into Idaho and Mountain Time. Bumping the speed back up we were getting much worse gas mileage. The first stop we made to fill up was in Baker City, OR. Where we exited, there was a Shell that was filled with people and a Sinclair that was relatively empty. I opted for the Sinclair and of course it was not pay at the pump. They actually had a guy walking around giving people little tickets to take to the cashier inside when you were done. I’ve never even seen a setup like this in my lifetime.
9505564921_c48cfbee80_c.jpg

9505564047_d1c5c13029_c.jpg

This is by far the dirtiest our bikes have ever gotten on a trip. I don’t think my exhaust will ever look the same.
9508358970_b5f6020be0_c.jpg

9508358200_6d8a5616e7_c.jpg

It sounded like a good place to stop, so we stretched the next gas stop out to Bliss, ID. Dad was happy to be off the bike, even if it was just for a short period of time.
9505561503_5f30802222_c.jpg

9508357060_31daa1c67e_c.jpg

9505559953_8c3a1b4ca8_c.jpg

As soon as we got into Utah the wind picked up. Riding in wind sure keeps me awake, but it wears my body out. The next break was in Tremonton, UT. Finding shade was a priority as the sun was now beating down on us.
9508355754_5872c955b4_c.jpg

It seemed like we spent the next several hours trying to get through Salt Lake City and the surrounding areas. We did get a glimpse of the Great Salt Lake while riding south on I-15 and I was content with that. We stayed on the HOV lane every second we could, but even it slowed down to a crawl at some spots. On the north side of town it wasn’t too bad, but traffic was much worse on the south side. Dad’s temperature gauge was reading right at 100.

We finally exited the interstate for the day and headed southeast on US 6. It was a good change of pace. 30 Miles later I pulled over for a break, just to rest. We had been on the bikes for a long time because of the traffic in Salt Lake City. The rest stop we took a break at had some history about the railroad system in Utah and the west.
9508355252_4bc6f3bd30_c.jpg

9508354504_41cfa166d9_c.jpg

9508353690_a45255c1b0_c.jpg

9505556555_acd789107e_c.jpg

On the way back to our bikes dad noticed a BMW GS that had just pulled up actually had a TX plate. We struck up a conversation with them and it turns out they are from Katy, TX. They were on their way to visit their daughter in Salt Lake City. They were a really nice couple and we ended up talking to them for about 20 minutes.
9505555721_a42cda73e3_c.jpg

We took off and headed for our hotel in Price, UT. Another rainbow appeared as we rode down US 6. Of course, by the time I found a decent place to stop it was barely visible.
9508351102_82188254b3_c.jpg

Storms were looming in the distance so we were hoping we could make it before they hit. We rolled into Price after 8 pm Mountain Time, filled up on gas, and headed for the Best Western. There wasn’t too much food wise in sight, so we walked down in the direction of the Subway and McDonalds. Before we got there, we saw Sherald’s. As you can see from the picture below, it’s a shack, but we decided to give them our money instead of the other places.
9564362766_ba6e3913a2_c.jpg

We picked up some burgers and onion rings and as we were walking back to the hotel it started to sprinkle. Back at the room we watched the lightning storm outside and the X-Games inside as we ate.

Today was brutal, and the next two are going to be even worse. We just want to be back home at this point.

Day 8 - 8/03/2013 –Price, UT to Tucumcari, NM - 674 Miles

Day 8 – MAP LINK

After breakfast at the hotel we hit the road around 7:15. We ran down to I-70 and headed east. I wanted so badly to go all the to UT 128 and run south in the canyon along the Colorado River. It’s such a great ride, but would take too much time. Instead we took US 191 to Moab. It was busy around Moab, which is to be expected.

We continued on US 191 and made a gas stop in Monticello. After we filled up, we pulled our bikes to the side of the station.
9505581521_bfb31f9893_c.jpg

A van pulling a U-Haul trailer stopped in and I swear 35 people got out of the van. Dad ended up asking one lady where they were from. She didn’t speak English so she called her daughter over. They were from France and doing a tour from L.A. then through several national parks in Utah, Las Vegas, and finally San Francisco. She was fun to talk to and very sweet. Dad insisted on a picture, but I wasn’t sure my wife would like it…
9508376564_436298c09a_c.jpg

In Monticello we took US 491 south all the way to I-40 with only a stop for a picture of Shiprock from a distance.
9508376350_7718899650_c.jpg

In Gallup, NM we stopped for another gas break. We talked to the guy who owned the Goldwing trike in the background of the picture below. He was stuck there with a rear end problem, the bike, not the guy. I also talked to a guy about my age on a BMW GS1150 who was on his way home to San Francisco after visiting some family in Wisconsin.
9505579621_0745daf214_c.jpg

Heading down I-40 was boring and hot. After getting through Albuquerque we stopped for the final fill-up of the day in Moriarty.
9508374782_78dbb34587_c.jpg

9508374004_477b2522d8_c.jpg

It got a bit windy after leaving here, but we powered through it doing our usual 85 mph. As we arrived and rode through Tucumcari to our hotel it looked like a ghost town. We beat the storms to the Motel Safari. It’s a nice historic Route 66 place and I’d recommend it if you’re in the area. It was built in 1959 and nicely remodeled, but it was missing a few modern amenities, like a vent in the bathroom and fridge. There was a covered area right by our room that we were able to park our bikes under for the night.
9505576841_f7b2645fbb_c.jpg

It was another long day in the saddle, right around 12 hours. Neither one of us wanted to get back on the bikes or walk anywhere for dinner, so we had a pizza delivered. There was another big lightning storm outside. I wanted to get some pictures but it was raining a bit too much and the wind was blowing strong. It wasn’t to be, so we went to sleep early because we were going to get up really early the next day.

Day 9 - 8/04/2013 – Tucumcari, NM to Houston, TX – 706 Miles

Day 9 – MAP LINK

We were still in Mountain Time so we were going to lose an hour in a hurry today. I ended up setting the alarm for 4 a.m. Mountain Time. We got going pretty quick and were on the move before the sun came up.
9505591837_b1c4583ef3_c.jpg

We crossed into Texas as the sun was rising. At almost 80 miles into the day we stopped for gas in Vega, TX.
9505590973_7daaa4181d_c.jpg

175 Miles later it was starting to really heat up outside as we made a stop in Quanah. It looks like dad was wondering what in the world I was doing. He was probably thinking that quite a bit when I was walking around with my camera.
9505589927_10e2240351_c.jpg

During the next stretch of 150 miles I was in full sweat mode. Decatur was the next chosen place to try to find some shade along with getting gas.
9508385352_0f3e92573e_c.jpg

I surely hadn’t missed the humidity for the last week. Sweating for hours on end isn’t my idea of fun, but I knew there was a light at the end of the tunnel. Another 150 miles and we were ready for a stop in Fairfield. Dad was enjoying the heat… not.
9505589089_507b52e48a_c.jpg

In the Conroe area my Sena battery died. We pulled over to plug both of our headsets in. The weather started to look funky in the distance and when my wife called she said we might get some rain before getting home. As we rode through The Woodlands we made the decision to take the Hardy Toll Road home. We didn’t want to deal with the traffic on I-45 and I hate how narrow the lanes are. It was a good choice as we practically had the road to ourselves as we finished off the trip. We also missed the rain, but it would have been welcome instead of the heat we had to deal with.

It was great to see my wife and daughter again. I swear my daughter’s vocabulary doubled while I was gone. The thing that sucked was that I had to go back to work the next morning. Dad didn’t have that problem.
9674253499_a1d9f9e10e_o.jpg

Now for the totals of the trip… I didn’t even break 90 mph for the whole trip. I was actually shocked at that. Instead of sitting in my cube at work this past week for 40-45 hours, I sat on my bike for about 80 hours. We came in right over 5,000 miles for the entire trip and my Connie now has over 41k miles on it.
9508383924_53623ff125_c.jpg

9508383268_f246323294_c.jpg

9505586817_2aa940aa9f_c.jpg

9508381886_a4eb361709_c.jpg

Thanks for following along!

Kory....should've gave her a French kiss.......LOL.

I love the wheat field pics!

Kory, Great pictures of great places. Thanks for sharing. Last year I did Beartooth and ended up getting there kinda wierd like. I was up in Glacier and really headed for Washington and the coast. Talking with a guy on an old Harley Bagger, He asked if I had been on Beartooth. Told him no but had been on Chief Joseph a time or two. Then he asked if I had done the Pacific Coast yet. I told him from Canada to Mexico and just doing a return trip. He then told me the game plan changer. " You need to do Beartooth and at our age, we don't know if we are gonna be able to ride again next year." I headed South.
Thanks for all the time and work you put into the pictures, and, for taking us along with you and your dad into some of my favorite country.
Oh , This year, headed to California on the Bandit, I had a deer encounter North of McDonald Observatory and missed the deer but crashed the bike and my body abit. But, healing the body and the bike is fixed.

Another great episode. Where to next year? :D

I absolutely hate it when the trip is over and it's time to head home. Those seem like the longest miles...and they seem to go by slower and slower the closer you get to home. One day I need to plan a nice circular route with the last day having something to do on it that keeps it part of the trip. Haven't figured out how to pull that off yet.

I tell you though, I hate that Dallas is so far from these wonderful places, but hey...at least we are four hours closer to them than Houston! :D

Kory, Great pictures of great places. Thanks for sharing. Last year I did Beartooth and ended up getting there kinda wierd like. I was up in Glacier and really headed for Washington and the coast. Talking with a guy on an old Harley Bagger, He asked if I had been on Beartooth. Told him no but had been on Chief Joseph a time or two. Then he asked if I had done the Pacific Coast yet. I told him from Canada to Mexico and just doing a return trip. He then told me the game plan changer. " You need to do Beartooth and at our age, we don't know if we are gonna be able to ride again next year." I headed South.
Thanks for all the time and work you put into the pictures, and, for taking us along with you and your dad into some of my favorite country.
Oh , This year, headed to California on the Bandit, I had a deer encounter North of McDonald Observatory and missed the deer but crashed the bike and my body abit. But, healing the body and the bike is fixed.

One of these days I'm going to have to take a ride with no real destination in mind and a lot of time. I'm just not the kind of person to not plan everything out, so it would be a challenge for me. So many times you run upon locals that tell you to go ride so-and-so road. It would be nice to actually do that. We never can because if we did, we'd never make our destination for the night.

I didn't know you had crashed this year, I'm glad you're ok given the situation.

Another great episode. Where to next year? :D

I absolutely hate it when the trip is over and it's time to head home. Those seem like the longest miles...and they seem to go by slower and slower the closer you get to home. One day I need to plan a nice circular route with the last day having something to do on it that keeps it part of the trip. Haven't figured out how to pull that off yet.

I tell you though, I hate that Dallas is so far from these wonderful places, but hey...at least we are four hours closer to them than Houston! :D

That 4 hours makes a big difference too. :doh:

Next year, not sure. I'm thinking maybe the Dakotas, Black Hills, Mount Rushmore. Maybe combining it with the Millville MX round, but who really knows at this point.

Great pics, enjoyed your report.... thanks for posting!

Thanks, glad you liked it.

Great report and some great pics! Years to come you are going to treasure the trip and pics with your dad.

Had my eye on a Connie here lately and you are definitely helping me out!

Thanks!

Read this report 10 years ago. Reread this morning, it was great just like all the other Trippin' Connies reports. Great adventures of a dad and son enjoying our wonderful hobby.

Priceless!

Back