• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Looking for dirt bike buddy (N. Austin)

Reaction score
I picked up a dirt bike with the intention of riding with a friend and after months of trying to organize a ride day we still have not been out. Pretty much he cancels the night before each time. I'm a motorcyclist, I have two bikes and don't own a car or truck to transport this dirtbike and I'm at the point where i need to sell it and get a small dualsport just so i can ride to dirt, but i have a KTM 990 for that... I thought i would throw it out there if anyone lives in north Austin and is looking for someone to ride with I'm game. I'm happy to pay gas money, buy lunch or beer.

FYI I have Friday Sept. 27th off of work.

If you gain access to a vehicle you can tow with, I have a 4x7 trailer in Round Rock you're welcome to borrow if you want to take it out to Hidden Falls or somewhere else local. All I'd need to do is reinstall the tire chock.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I picked up a dirt bike with the intention of riding with a friend and after months of trying to organize a ride day we still have not been out. Pretty much he cancels the night before each time. I'm a motorcyclist, I have two bikes and don't own a car or truck to transport this dirtbike and I'm at the point where i need to sell it and get a small dualsport just so i can ride to dirt, but i have a KTM 990 for that... I thought i would throw it out there if anyone lives in north Austin and is looking for someone to ride with I'm game. I'm happy to pay gas money, buy lunch or beer.

FYI I have Friday Sept. 27th off of work.

i dont have a dirt or ds bike.. but i live in north austin, so if you ride street at all, i ride almost every day, especially when im not working. Work days is mostly to/from work.

My truck went to Baylor this semester so i don't have a tow vehicle for a while. Hopefully it will be back next semester.

Thanks BexarWolf, that's awesome I appreciate the offer.

shanedman, I do have a couple bikes and I ride pretty often but as I get older I get less interested in street riding, trying to build up my off-road skills so I can teach my son when the time comes. Every time he goes in the garage he points at the dirt bike and wants me to take him for a ride, makes me happy :mrgreen:

If you don't find a dirt buddy, you can use your 990 to tow a small dirtbike on a cheap Harborfreight 4x4 trailer.

If you don't find a dirt buddy, you can use your 990 to tow a small dirtbike on a cheap Harborfreight 4x4 trailer.

LOL your probably right but that doesn't sound like fun. That 990 is a blast and really I bought a dirt bike so I can develop my off-road skills, ultimately to be more capable with the 990. Dirt is still fairly new to me, I cut my teeth riding cruisers.

alphadog, I signed up at the TON forum thanks for the link.

What type dirtbike did you get? AMSA is having a ride day at Powell's ranch Sunday. Might try posting on the TON in their forums.

I got a YZ426f, you know... a starter bike :lol2: Not exactly a trail bike (what i'm interested in) but it was in my price range and I'm just looking to have some fun on it for a while then upgrade to a WR or something.

AlphaDog linked to that the Powell ranch ride day but I have family stuff this Sunday so it's not gonna work out. I didn't know about the TON site so I'll have to keep my eye out there for upcoming rides.

I have two friend's who are verbally in for Friday Sept. 27th (hopefully it works out) if anyone else is interested let me know. We don't know where we are going yet but we are all beginners really, I'd like spend some time training with cones and doing some exercises.

I was thinking maybe Del Valle, good for beginners?

Im always looking for good dirt rides...ive done a few dirty, wet DS rides with Bike Jones out of Austin but those rides tend to be mostly backwoods paved roads.
Ive got a Suzuki DR650 for dualsporting and some serious offroad riding. Ive also just acquired an ATK406 2 stroke Beast Bike that is basically an MX version of their awesome desert bikes. I went to ride the high passes of Colorado this summer which was fun but too much rain up there during the summer.
Im committed to going to California in late November for the 30th annual LA to Barstow to Vegas Desert run. 2 days of dualsport adventure in the Mojave desert. Each day the ride is basically 225 miles and they will bring your gear to the next town for you but im trailering several bikes anyway. They must be street legal dualsports for this event.
Ive done some awesome riding down south of san Antonio and some rock riding around my area in SA. Ive never been to Hidden falls but it seems like an awesome place.
I may ride tomorrow with Bike Jones and company just to get out on some dirt...

Not sure how safe it is to be towing 400 pounds behind a 990 on the highway.
But looks like somebody already gave it a try. Looks like a crazy idea.

639032665_tPd84-M.jpg

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Infidel, who organizes that Mojave ride?

For the rest of the year I only have a few long weekends (friday or monday off) so I can't go far like that, but I'm definitely up for some overnight DS rides. I'm doing the Roll the Bones ride this year on the 990 and I'm stoked.

I've been out to hidden falls and it's fun but gets technical very quick.

I'm on a KLR 650 and do a bunch of overnight rides in Cali and even more day trip dual sport rides. I have a joe hauler sauce squatch if you can get a vehicle with a receiver u can always borrow it to get your 426 out and about. But if any of you dual sporters wanna ride this weekend hit me up, I need a guide to the local or not so local spots.

Thanks chiricahua, my friend and I are actually planning on riding Hidden Falls or Del Valle Friday if your interested.

We are just going to rent a UHaul and he's going to drive. He's new so we are going to spend some time doing some training so he can get comfortable with the bike. We are going to try and get out as early as possible but I'm flying back in from work Thursday night and so is he.

Sadly no... the YZ426f wasn't starting, felt like it wasn't getting gas so I wiggled the gas line and pop, the hose broke in 4 pieces... UGH. Gas everywhere. I got new lines but when I started replacing it was clear that the crumbling hose had bits into the float bowl. Soooooo, i spent the day rebuilding a carb. Got it running but it's not dialed in. So far this is my track record with dirt bikes.

Luckily the big 990 is running like a top and I have two trips coming up, one being the Roll The Bones rally, can't wait.

My next day off is Friday November 22nd, I'm planning a dirt ride then but I'll try to get a Saturday in before then.

Back