• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2008 Connie 14

Pedro

Reaction score
I know this is a lot newer than normal for this forum (and mods please move it if there's a better place), but I'm looking to document my Connie 14.

Warning- this will be picture-heavy, so if you're on a slow connection, turn back now or be prepared to really commit.

So this is the Connie as I brought it home. Rattle-can lime green pain, sticker flames, and various other cosmetic issues. Mechanically, she runs like a top.

2013-10-18172238.jpg

If you look closely here, you can see some of the original silver paint showing through. It doesn't appear that the PO did any prep work before spraying it green.
2013-10-18171722.jpg

Here's the left side, showing some of the missing hardware and assorted bodywork issues. Stuff like this is everywhere on the bike.
2013-10-18172224.jpg

Overspray. It's everywhere. Not only do I need to repaint the green parts, but it looks like I also get to do the black ones. I have an HVLP paint gun for the good stuff, and I'm considering Plasti-dip for the black parts.
2013-10-18172340.jpg

It's hard to see, but the tank around this aftermarket gas cap is oddly dented-up. I'm not sure what's going on here. I'm going to have to investigate a little further.
2013-10-18172355.jpg

Here's a shot showing the quality of the flame decals and the chipping green paint (with the original silver beneath).
2013-10-18172515.jpg

A better shot, without the flash:
2013-10-18172524.jpg

I also keep finding hardware that is missing or rusted. I'm working on cleaning it all up.
2013-10-18172531.jpg

The perks: It came with a techmount and 2" risers. The downside, of course, is that they're very questionably installed.
2013-10-18171611.jpg

I've already removed the random decal that was on the right saddlebag. She's got the widest hind end of anything I've ever owned by a large margin.
2013-10-18171702.jpg

I've already completed my first repair- I replaced the lid on the glove compartment thing on the tank, since the PO inexplicably sheared both tabs off. I also bleached the whole thing while I had it apart, since it smelled awful. Clearly, there was something foul-smelling stored in there at some point.
2013-10-18170627.jpg

Wow, dude, you have a really interesting project there! I would say find someone (or your self since you have a spray gun set up) and strip the whole thing down. Go and get a good quality paint and color you like and spray them all down. I too love plasti-dip, my son is a master at this stuff and has used it all over his Jeep. He is going to help me spray my bike to black it out as well. Obviously its a short vs long term fix, but if done properly with quite a few coats, then it is a great product to use. I personally would look into replacing all the factory missing fasteners just to make it look "complete". I'm not much of a mechanic, but since we are neighbors (somewhere here in SA) let me know if you want some help with anything. If not, good luck with the project, you will have it looking awesome soon enough.

Looks like a lot of tedious cleaning and undoing or redoing properly the finish. This is what a bike having good bones is. Many poorly skilled people do more harm than good to a machine. I'm not a good painter mostly because I despise the process, so guess what? I don't try to paint vehicles. This reminds me of all the young guys trying to fix ugly or damaged paint with rattle can flat black these days. Anyway, enjoy your project, I hope it was a bargain.

Wow. Baby poo green.....eeewww. That is a project. Can't wait to see the "during" and the "after" pics.

I'm trying to imagine how the original transformation even began: "Attention K-Mart shoppers. Blue light special on Krylon pee-green paint cans. Limit twelve per customer. Aisle 14......"

since the Trippin' Connies are '08s I'm going to keep an eye on this restoration. :clap:

Looks like a lot of tedious cleaning and undoing or redoing properly the finish. This is what a bike having good bones is. Many poorly skilled people do more harm than good to a machine. I'm not a good painter mostly because I despise the process, so guess what? I don't try to paint vehicles. This reminds me of all the young guys trying to fix ugly or damaged paint with rattle can flat black these days. Anyway, enjoy your project, I hope it was a bargain.

Yeah, it's definitely a solid foundation. I know in the past with my sportbikes, I could find bolt kits on Ebay that had all the fasteners for the bike in them, usually in stainless or anodized. The same thing doesn't seem available for this, so I'm having to order them individually and restore the ones I can. It's just going to take a long time, and a lot of elbow grease. Oh, and it was definitely a bargain. ;)

What color are you thinking of changing it to?

I do like that it's different and stands out. It may stay green, but will be a nicer, more metallic green layed down properly, and without the flame decals. I may go orange again, though. Still haven't quite decided.

I'm trying to imagine how the original transformation even began: "Attention K-Mart shoppers. Blue light special on Krylon pee-green paint cans. Limit twelve per customer. Aisle 14......"

It's actually a sad story. The guy I bought it from was the original owner, but his health started failing. He survived a bout with cancer, only to watch his diabetes reach the level where he couldn't really feel his feet at all. As a result, he dropped it when stopped, multiple times on each side. He wanted to do something about the scratches, so this was his solution. He knew it wasn't a great job, hence the low price I paid. He was sad to see it go, but knew I would give it a good home.

I keep hearing that term, and apparently it's a thing. Can someone help me out with a short explanation?
Yea, my son and I both have 08's and he has documented the last 5 trips we have done across the U.S.. If you have some time you can read them in the Story Telling and Tire Kicking section.

It's sad to see such a beautiful bike in such a sad state. I'm partial to Connies, have an '08 myself. The PO told me that all work was done by the dealer that he bought it from. Either he lied or, his dealer's mechs had no idea what they were doing. I found missing fasteners and questionable wiring when I took the skin off.
I do all my own work on her. I make sure it's right. Don't want to be stuck 2000 miles from home.
I'm very interested to see the final product.

Yeah, it's definitely a solid foundation. I know in the past with my sportbikes, I could find bolt kits on Ebay that had all the fasteners for the bike in them, usually in stainless or anodized. The same thing doesn't seem available for this, so I'm having to order them individually and restore the ones I can.

Murphskits doesn't have them?

Sent from my Nexus 7 via secure NSA servers

..... It may stay green, but will be a nicer, more metallic green layed down properly, and without the flame decals.....
Here is a high dollar green job for your reading. He used the 2012 ZX14R Special Edition Green. I think if you look on that forum in a different thread they did some photoshopped colors before he decided on that color. May give you some ideas. Of coarse I'm kinda partial to the `09 Candy Diamond Red.:trust:
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=12358.675

Yea, my son and I both have 08's and he has documented the last 5 trips we have done across the U.S.. If you have some time you can read them in the Story Telling and Tire Kicking section.
Great reads.:clap:

My guess is the original owner bought it, expecting a ZX-14 motor-based clone, was disappointied it was not a ZX equivalent . He then tried to ride with his sport-bike buddies, found the color too bland and would not attract chicks...went with the puke green paint scheme to improve his odds of scoring with the ladies.

:lol2:

RB

My guess is the original owner bought it, expecting a ZX-14 motor-based clone, was disappointied it was not a ZX equivalent . He then tried to ride with his sport-bike buddies, found the color too bland and would not attract chicks...went with the puke green paint scheme to improve his odds of scoring with the ladies.

:lol2:

RB

I think perhaps you missed this?

It's actually a sad story. The guy I bought it from was the original owner, but his health started failing. He survived a bout with cancer, only to watch his diabetes reach the level where he couldn't really feel his feet at all. As a result, he dropped it when stopped, multiple times on each side. He wanted to do something about the scratches, so this was his solution. He knew it wasn't a great job, hence the low price I paid. He was sad to see it go, but knew I would give it a good home.

Wow...
i mean you got a few minor(sounds that way) things to fix, but doesnt sound like you got anything that cant be taken care of at your own domicile.
Im almost jealous!

The important thing is that you said it is mechanically good.

nice find brother!

Back