• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Intro to BaseCamp

One software I've been experimenting with is Alpine Quest. It allows users to access and store several open source and usgs topo maps on android phones.

Sent from my corporate monitored advertisement delivery device.

I hope this thread can stay, as intended, a helpful thread to those who desire to learn BaseCamp or have questions about it.

I certainly did not intend for it to become a debate over what is the best GPS or route planning software.

I was referring to the sentence "Also, there needs to be a way to turn off all map labels and symbols..." I should have edited the quote to only reflect the sentence I was addressing.

To the issue you have with roads I'm guessing that you have set the Map Detail in your Zumo to "Most" and if using Basecamp you've set Detail Level set to "Highest" and have the Basic Map feature turned off.

:tab I have not been able to turn off ALL labels, in particular the little mountain icons. I even emailed Garmin about it. They said it could not be done. However, this was on the Topo maps, not City Select.

I hope this thread can stay, as intended, a helpful thread to those who desire to learn BaseCamp or have questions about it.

I certainly did not intend for it to become a debate over what is the best GPS or route planning software.

I think it is still serving that well. And for the record, that'd be a debate over which is least worst. :D

:tab I have not been able to turn off ALL labels, in particular the little mountain icons. I even emailed Garmin about it. They said it could not be done. However, this was on the Topo maps, not City Select.

Scott,

It seems the Garmin Corporation has classified you as high maintenance! Have you contemplated using a plain paper roll chart?

25oct21B_0011.jpg

...a lot of heavy power users on ADVrider seem to enjoy them as well.

:-P

RB

Bummer. That's one of the things I find problematic about Garmin, they offer poor support or expect the user to wade through their forum. I had a similar problem with MapSource and Airports. Now I'd like to get rid of the highway signs. I had to admit though that working through some issues brought up by this thread has taught me how to toggle on the city names in a way I can live with, a problem I tried to solve for months.

It's probably not relevant to your setup, but this was what I was mentioning earlier:

I started with this screen,
Icons_zps569f7dc5.jpg

and I changed the Geographic Places selection about halfway down this screen,
DisplayedFeatures_zps8b0c7a16.jpg

to get this.
NoIcons_zpsdd62e41a.jpg

I'm not sure my Topo 100 is Garmin's since it came to me unlocked.

As a side note, I'm a big fan of roll charts. So another plug for Rally Navigator. Along with routing that can be exported and converted into tracks, user can create road books. I'm not sure they have the smaller Roll Chart feature fully working, but they are working on one.

Simply have your device connected via USB to access them while in base camp.

Loaded basecamp on the home computer. Right away it saw my city navigator maps. Connected the gps and bam, it downloaded and made available the map on it. Thanks!

Loaded basecamp on the home computer. Right away it saw my city navigator maps. Connected the gps and bam, it downloaded and made available the map on it. Thanks!

I have to have mine connected every time to see the maps in basecamp. They don't really download to the computer. It is my understanding that if you buy maps on CD, or get he free ones mentioned earlier you can have them on the PC at all times without the device connected. I wish I would have bought the city maps on CD rather than just the download.

I was able to get the maps (from my lifetime update) installed on both my mac and the zumo 665 using Garmin Express.

In Garmin Express, select Device, then under "Reinstall or Change Maps" select Advanced Options, and there's a dropdown selector where you can choose to install to "Device and Computer" (or just "Computer" if you've already loaded them on your GPS).

It looks like there are two different updates, nuMaps Lifetime North America, and US & Canada 2014.3. Not sure what the difference is, but now I get City Navigator 2014.30 on both my computer and GPS without them being attached to each other.

Downloaded the OSM "Texas" map and installed it on the computer and on the Zumo.

It keeps the smallest roads visible for two more zoom levels out than does the Garmin map.

Yay!

Now to open BaseCamp and start working my way through these tutorials.

And Hail thought this thread might end up not being about learning about basecamp. Thanks ThomasM!

I just updated to LM for my 665 using Garmin Express. One computer kept failing but the newer one worked great. It took about 3 hours to upload. I plan to download Base Camp tonight and see what happens.

Downloaded the OSM "Texas" map and installed it on the computer and on the Zumo.

It keeps the smallest roads visible for two more zoom levels out than does the Garmin map.

Yay!

Now to open BaseCamp and start working my way through these tutorials.

Can you school me up on this? How did you download just Texas? Through one of the mirror sites listed on the OSM page? It looks like the entire OSM database is 32 gigs--more than I want to load on my PC or my GPS.

On this page I chose
Choose your map type:
Generic Routable

Choose a TYP file (optional):
none

Choose a predefined country:
select North America, then drill down and choose Texas from the drop down menu

Perhaps you'd like to add some additional tiles:
leave unchecked

Request your map or download it directly:
select "Download your map now!"

Well, I banged on this thing for about two hours this evening. As I played with it, I realized there are a number of similarities to Mapsource, which did help once I made that discovery. Still, I found waypoints mysteriously rearranging their orders, among other weird happenings. I eventually laid out a route to Natchez, a trip I'm planning on making this spring.

Then I went over to my GPS, a Garmin Nuvi 2555, and laid out the same route in under 10 minutes. At least for the time being, I guess I'll stick to my GPS's onboard routing software. :giveup:

Has anyone figured out how to just search for a city on this thing? I tried to find Dahlonega Ga on this thing and ended up just zooming and panning till I found it.

Downloaded last night after updating everything. Time to play with base camp. For those that have the Zumo 665, have you received an upgrade XM tuner or can not unlock map error at boot up?

Has anyone figured out how to just search for a city on this thing? I tried to find Dahlonega Ga on this thing and ended up just zooming and panning till I found it.

Using the search box in the upper right hand corner of Basecamp type in the name and it should be the first entry under Points of Interest. The results are map dependent so in my case it the TOPO100 and City Navigator North America NT 2009 both return results. Setting it to Global Maps returns nothing.

If you're getting far too many results try going into Options -> General and toggle off the check box at the bottom that allows online search.

Can you school me up on this? How did you download just Texas? Through one of the mirror sites listed on the OSM page? It looks like the entire OSM database is 32 gigs--more than I want to load on my PC or my GPS.

Select OSM maps here guys.

You first select the tiles on the map which is the coverage area you want to download. If you want the entire world and have large memory card go for it. I chose US, Canada and part of northern Mexico. Since the file is so large, you will be placed in a waiting list or "que" until the server has created your IMG or image file. How do you know when your custom map request is ready?

OSM will send you an email that will tell you that your map has been built according to the squares you selected, and will provide you with 5 links. There are only two likely to be on interest to you, one will be the map itself, and one will be if you use MapSource. If you use BaseCamp or don't need the map on your computer, then all you need to download is the map itself.

The map for your Garmin sat nav will be the link containing the IMG format file, which will be zipped. Download it. Note where you are downloading it to so you can find it once it is downloaded.

The link for the software file for the MapSource are also clearly labelled in the email. The link is valid for I believe a little over 40 hours, so don't delay in downloading the file!

Make sure and prepare a SD or micro SD card for your map ... you will load the map onto the memory card, and then insert the memory card in to your sat nav. Firstly on the blank memory card create a directory (folder) and name it "Garmin". Second unzip the file directly into that Garmin directory. The card is then good to go ... place it in your sat nav and select the map to use it.

For those dudes using still using MapSource - install the software for Mapsource by double clicking on it. The next time you open MapSource the OSM map set will be "selectable" on the drop down map selection box at the top of the page.

I hope this helps. OSM is truly a wonderful Open-Source tool for traveling....on a motorcycle which is our case. You can totally replace all Garmin map updates if you decide to go the OSM route. Quite a few Advrider globe trotters use the OSM approach with much success. You can also annotate the maps if you encounter any strange mapping anomalies for others to benefit from in future map updates.

:rider:

RB

RB's above instructions are for building a custom set of tiles after checking the "Enable manual tile selection" box.

I've done that too in order to get a bigger map area. It took a few hours to be built before I received the email that it was ready. The instructions indicated I had 60 hours to download it after notification. The file size was 1.9G on the set of tiles I chose.

If you choose too many tiles it will give an error message and won't build the map. I tried to get the continental US and that was more than whatever the limit is set to.

The description I gave earlier, selecting Texas from the North America drop down menu, will let you download a block set they apparently have ready to go immediately. No email, no wait. But it might not have all you would like in the surrounding states. The file size was 295MB

I guess the method of choice will depend on what area you want to be included in your map and whether the preassembled selections contain that. Fortunately, it will show you on the map what is included after you select a particular state.

It is nice to have choices. This is a pretty well done site in that regard.

Using the search box in the upper right hand corner of Basecamp type in the name and it should be the first entry under Points of Interest. The results are map dependent so in my case it the TOPO100 and City Navigator North America NT 2009 both return results. Setting it to Global Maps returns nothing.

If you're getting far too many results try going into Options -> General and toggle off the check box at the bottom that allows online search.

Ahhhh...KISS. I was trying to get all complicated using the options under the "Find" menu. Just ran in and did that leaving the "Find" menu alone and it found it immediately. Sometimes simple is better. :D

Got it, thanks! Looks to be a more useable map than the one I bought from Garmin. :rolleyes:

I'll be continuing my Basecamp/GPS education now...

Ahhhh...KISS. I was trying to get all complicated using the options under the "Find" menu. Just ran in and did that leaving the "Find" menu alone and it found it immediately. Sometimes simple is better. :D

I've also struggled with that Find feature as well as Adventure.

Sometimes it seems that Basecamp was developed from the database out, instead of from the user interface in.

I was making routes in BaseCamp on the OSM map and it has a few bugs. When selecting two points it will sometimes error out and not follow the road. Went to Garmin map and it works fine.

I miss the click and drag ability to edit a route in MapSource. In BaseCamp you will have to first select the Insert tool, click to create a new point on the route, select the Move tool, then select and drag the new point to a new location. Kind of a pain, as I liked creating routes with start and end points then clicking and dragging the bits in between onto the roads I prefer. Why change a one-step process into a four-step process? Progress ain't no darn good. :-P

Is there an option to allow click and drag to edit a route in BaseCamp that I haven't found?

Back