• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mad Scientist Tire Academy

Re: San Antonio's Mad Scientist Tire Academy

Trice also showed his engineering prowess by grinding off two stripped nuts on my rear sprocket.

:argh:

This is NOT what you think :rofl:

THIS is the hub for the sprocket with the nuts ground off ;-)

smugshot1001481-L.jpg

Mexico and Guatemala Rider Practices Flat Repair

Here is Troutshack (Brian) at Casa Tricepilot today, stopping by on his 35 day voyage of discovery to Mexico and Guatemala.

smugshot9310284-L.jpg

Brian is on his 2009 KLR, but had never removed either wheel or had a flat on a dual sport moto before.

smugshot1944205-L.jpg

He had researched this thread, and had a good tire kit. The only thing he was missing was a valve core remover. I promptly donated one of mine. :mrgreen:

smugshot241091-L.jpg

He practiced on the rear tire - the supposed more difficult one - but due to the weather and having run down here from Austin, the tire was very warm and easy to work with. It spooned on and off no sweat. :sun:

smugshot9852911-M.jpg

Wheel went back on smoothly, so we celebrated at Five Guys Burgers and Fries. :clap:

Now Brian feels confident he can swiftly and effectively handle a flat on the road, and can concentrate on enjoying his trip. :rider:

Hope he puts new tires on there before he heads south. Those stockers won't last long enough, and tires are hard to come by and very expensive when you do. But, I am sure you already told him all that. :thumb:

BTW, I have a new unused rear Gripster that he can have for what it cost me if he needs it before heading south. We can also source a front from a friend of mine who has one.

Re: Mexico and Guatemala Rider Practices Flat Repair

Now Brian feels confident he can swiftly and effectively handle a flat on the road, and can concentrate on enjoying his trip. :rider:[/quote]

I was glad to witness that...:clap:

Nice lookin' tandem in the background there Mr. Tricepilot.... :clap:

We will be cranking up the MSTA on Friday at around noon to change out 2 tires on a KLR 650 :clap:

Jack L, an intercontimental vagabond is visiting Casa Tricepilot.

Straphangars, critics, clowns, curmugeons, kooks, and crazies of all types welcome to sit in and kibbutz.

Actually 3 tires as I'm changing out a TKC80 front for a D606 front on my own KLR :clap:

Grand Reopening: San Antonio's Mad Scientist Tire Academy

I've franchised the the Mad Scientist Tire Academy and with the infusion of new capital $$$ I am reopening the Academy here in San Antonio.

If you need dirt bike tube and/or tire changing practice before your upcoming ride this is the place to do it. Ideal for newbie tube and tire changers.

"We practice in the garage like we do on the trail, with only the tools we bring with us"

Don't be "THAT GUY"

Bring your tubes and tools to your next group ride and most of all bring recent experience dealing with flats BEFORE you head out for the event.

Remember - tire skills are perishable skills and you have to stay practiced so you can get back to riding.

Very Cool Tricepilot! I will have to visit the Academy next time i'm in San Antonio.

From Our Flats on the Trail Department

i-DRZccKS-L.jpg

I need to give photographer credit and would like to know the story behind this scene, who is in the photo, etc. Any details on the repair would be helpful to others. From the site photo gallery.

To the readers: if this happened to YOU, would YOU be ready?

Last edited:

i-TrTcssJ-L.jpg

I need to give photographer credit and would like to know the story behind this scene, who is in the photo, etc. Any details on the repair would be helpful to others. From the site photo gallery.

i-CfjwPhv-L.jpg

i-CfjwPhv-L.jpg

I'm pretty sure the guy in the upper right is Hugo, otherwise known here as Terranaut. Try PMing him for the scoop.

The guy whose face you can't see below looks a lot like Donnie, Wildernessrider.

i-DRZccKS-L.jpg

From Our Scenes From The Laboratory Department

Testing tire compounds and puncture resistance here at the Casona in Cibolo:

i-sMQMt49-L.jpg

I thought I would develop something better than Slime and Ride On to plug leaks..

Maybe call it "Government Sealant" :lol2:

"Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect."

- Vince Lombardi

"Practice your tire skills at home, not on the trail"

- Me

LOL! Rolling J knows my "hey I got another flat" stance all too well. That is me hiding behind that WRX front tire. I was trying to follow a couple of faster riders on bigger bikes last year on the inaugural Desert Challenge. Came ripping down the trail in 5th gear and slammed across a bunch of baby heads sticking up. I hit one so hard the whole wheel made a loud resonating ping, and launched my front end. I remained on the throttle undaunted, but then about 500 yards later... Oh boy, that little 17" motard front tire was the toughest I have ever seen, were it not for a group of the old guard riders who willingly got involved with all the custom made extra long and strong tire tools, I would have had to concede defeat. That pic was taken early on in the bout. It ended as a large Texas tag team match against one extra ornery front tire.
Thanks to all who helped me prevail that day. That finishers plaque on my wall is there because you stopped to lend a hand. PS For this year I put in the extra heavy duty tubes! But knowing my prowess at flatting out, it could still happen again.

Back