• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Strom-a-Thon #1 is in the books

Re: Strom-a-Thom #1 is in the books

Think we saw some 'strommers' in Mason yesterday on our back from BBRSP. The group was parked along the main drag at the courthouse. There was one of the few red V-strom I've seen in the group.

Assuming it was between 3:30 and 4pm, you did. That was Tim Cannon, Lou West & me. There were actually two red Stroms. We waved at one group - I recognized Gina's bike by the silver wheels.

Here's a couple of pics
imagejpg1-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
imagejpg2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hey folks-

Wow, what a great weekend. Thank you all for the top notch riding, great camaraderie, outpouring of help and making it sound fun enough in the first place to add 20 hours or so of riding to get there and back.

Sorry to miss the group photo and campfire BS last night, but I cut away after we watched the Kentucky Derby at the Castell General Store and made it as far as the HoJo in Lubbock, so today was a much easier ride.

Thanks again, see you next year.

Glad to see you made it back in 1 piece. Looking forward to more of the videos.

Oh, and the new first rule of Strom-A-Thon... Anybody from Santa Fe must bring a spare tire with them and have it at all times... hahaha. :rofl:
See you next time.

Who's up for a New Mexico trip? :deal:

Re: Strom-A-Thon Texas 2014 May 2-4 2014

It was great meeting you guys, I was riding the DRZ 400 from Houston.

All I have are cell phone photos as I left the SD card for my nice camera at home. I am hoping Glen got some good photos of everyone in our Saturday morning group at the water crossings!

01_getting_started.jpg

02_Willow_City_Loop.jpg

03_Willow_City_Loop.jpg

04_Willow_City_Loop.jpg

05_All_Three_Bikes_WCL.jpg

06_Enchanted_Rock.jpg

07_Tiger_Enchanted_Rock.jpg

08_DRZ_Enchanted_Rock.jpg

09_DRX_Tiger_Enchanted_Rock.jpg

10_Tiger_House_Mountain_Road.jpg

11_DRZ_House_Mountain_Road.jpg

12_DRZ_Tiger_House_Mountain_Road.jpg

13_Glen_House_Mountain_Road.jpg

14_David_House_Mountain_Road.jpg

15_BADU_David_Brad_Glen.jpg

16_Strom_Rally_HQ.jpg

17_DRZ_Tiger_Strom_Rally_HQ.jpg

18_Rally_HQ.jpg

19_Dirty_Tiger.jpg

Just want to give a HUGE shout out to Rod and Lee for a great weekend of riding. I've ridden the Hill Country for 20+ years but riding with Rod on Friday I was on new-to-me roads all day long. Outstanding! Lee, you're a true gentleman and it was a pleasure to meet you. Brian, thanks for the T-shirts bro, they are top notch..... And Will, enjoyed the conversations about our old glory dirt bike days....... And to everyone else, it was great meeting you and hope everyone made it back home safe.

Oh, and a HUGE thank you once again to Rod and Lee for picking my bike up out of the creek on Friday......... I was a squid.......Next on the list...... Barkbusters.

Best weekend of riding I've had in a long, long, time!! Now the cleaning ritual begins..... Ok, it begins tomorrow, now time to soak my leg in the tub.

Just want to give a HUGE shout out to Rod and Lee for a great weekend of riding. I've ridden the Hill Country for 20+ years but riding with Rod on Friday I was on new-to-me roads all day long. Outstanding! Lee, you're a true gentleman and it was a pleasure to meet you. Brian, thanks for the T-shirts bro, they are top notch..... And Will, enjoyed the conversations about our old glory dirt bike days....... And to everyone else, it was great meeting you and hope everyone makes it back home safe.

Oh, and a HUGE thank you once again to Rod and Lee for picking my bike up out of the creek on Friday......... I was a squid.......Next on the list...... Barkbusters.

Best weekend of riding I've had in a long, long, time!! Now the cleaning ritual begins..... Ok, it begins tomorrow, now time soaking my leg in a tub.

egaza5u9.jpg

Rooster..... Those ol slimey slabs slip up everyone now & then..... jus one o those things.
Thank goodness it didn't mess up that ultra clean lookin 08 Strom you bought from KamLeeR a few years ago. Nice bike

On an unrelated note...... VHERE'S THE VEEK GONE TO.??... sure wasn't to Strom A Thon!!

Dang that was a short 3.5 days.

Here are a few of my pix from the weekend.

A view of the campground, and a sea of TWT tents.
DSC_0625_zps5971436c.jpg

Santafetrailer's tire booboo.
DSC_0629_zpsb9fb9e52.jpg

"Okay, guys - what's the plan?"
DSC_0633_zps437d0f1e.jpg

On Saturday, I was out with Tim Cannon (Tim Cannon), Lou West (LouWest), and Jason (notsofas!). Jason's the only one in the group with even a hint of originality in his handle. Anyway, we stumbled upon this beautiful old Lutheran church. Built in 1905 of hill country limestone.
DSC_0642_zps64f3bca7.jpg

Getting our bearings. Thank goodness for Butler maps. I didn't have a clue where we were by this time.
DSC_0650_zps976d64bb.jpg

We found this idyllic spot along a creek.
DSC_0645_zps631d863c.jpg

We also spotted what I'm pretty sure is an old Austin Healey.
DSC_0651b_zps708f7e4e.jpg

Tim, Lou, and other Tim.
DSC_0653_zps596c6c50.jpg

The courthouse in Mason.
DSC_0658_zps0c62bdc5.jpg

Waterside for the photo shoot.
DSC_0664_zpsbd7f9d21.jpg

The raffle.
DSC_0670_zpsf14963a7.jpg

Thanks for all the great dirt and great views. Dirt cloud did a great job. Thanks for putting up with my KLR . Duane

Sent from my E270BSA using Tapatalk

Thanks for a great. 3.5 days of fun. Thanks for the loan of tent and sleeping gear. Duane

Sent from my E270BSA using Tapatalk

Who's up for a New Mexico trip? :deal:

Lincoln/Ruidoso area has good riding and is closest for you folks.

Let me wait until the Butler NM map comes out, I think in June, and I will plan something for the fall for the TwoWheelNewTexicans. :rider:

Lincoln/Ruidoso area has good riding and is closest for you folks.

Let me wait until the Butler NM map comes out, I think in June, and I will plan something for the fall for the TwoWheelNewTexicans. :rider:

Some of my favorite pavement anywhere is around Cloudcroft, and over to Ruidoso. Love it there. Love it, love it.

Thank you for allowing a few Not A Stromers to join. Excellent weekend, hill country west of Austin really has a charm of its own.

Thank you for allowing a few Not A Stromers to join. Excellent weekend, hill country west of Austin really has a charm of its own.

I was expecting my DR650 and myself to be run off myself.....

It was a dam great weekend.

Thank you for the enjoyable weekend.
I has been a long time since I have had one.

Thanks Lee, Rod and anyone else for organizing such a fun event full of great folks! It was even fun for us non-strom folks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice to have met you Baja! :sun:

Hey Baja that tube should have made its way back to you courtesy of Stroked, and the new one should be delivered to your house this week. Thanks again for saving the day.

A bunch of Stroms wouldn't run of a DR at a campout... they're practically first cousins in the motorcycle world.

Hope you get the DR running to your liking.
See you at the next one. :pirate:

Hey Baja that tube should have made its way back to you courtesy of Stroked, and the new one should be delivered to your house this week. Thanks again for saving the day.

ur welcome.

I wand to send the new one back and let you get the credit back.
Why? that's just me.

A bunch of Stroms wouldn't run of a DR at a campout... they're practically first cousins in the motorcycle world.

Hope you get the DR running to your liking.
See you at the next one. :pirate:

too off topic for much a comment, but was running at almost 80mph once I got past Corsicana and out of the wind (tree shield).
heavy tire noise was about all I did hear at that speed.

edit:
Think I better rephrase that: 80 on speedo, but 75 on GPS.

Rod and Lee, thank you so very much for an extremely well planned event. I think it is a testament to you and your efforts that this event started as just a suggestion and had such a good turn out. Will, thanks so much for a spectacular dirt ride. As a Texas transplant, I had never seen such beautiful scenery. I had a blast but my poor strom did not. Talk about a shake down. :D It is always a good time when I get to meet more and more of the TWT family and see some of those I have meet before. I am so glad I was there. Jason, glad to see you stroming it. :D

thanks you guys for the meetup. it was great meeting many of yall, and we had a beautiful ride, lead by rod w/ cannon taking the photo/gopro shots, tour back home yesterday. :sun:

tj and I were able to dodge 3 near deer and I, almost home, accidentally ran over a very large snake (dangit!) but it kept slithering into the ditch so hopefully ok.

Tj and I are checked in at lone star inn, relegated to west side, rm 259.

So what's the scoop for this Saturday eve?

Btw, 2 other stroms in front.

I was in RM 254, how did I miss that there were folks from Bluff Dale at Strom-a-Thon?

For all you folks who didn't attend because ya didn't have a Strom.....

I jus added a 2013 650 to my list of bikes for sale on my vendor thread.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

& BY THE WAY..... If I haven't said it yet..... HUGE THANX TA ALL YA'LL
We had a pretty large turnout for a first time event. I thoroughly enjoyed the weekend's riding with various folks.... heck.... I thoroughly enjoyed the WHOLE weekend..... right down ta watchin that last rider take off for home Sunday afternoon (Tim!)

I'll bet the next Strom-A-Thon Texas will surpass this inaugural event's events
mightily ..... hopefully by having a Veek there.... or a Week! either would be good

Back