• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

A week riding the COBDR... thanks to our sponsors Quick Steal and True Value

Thanks for the report Guys!
A quick question if you please?
I'm planing on doing this ride soon on my 990. I've been run a K60 on the rear with good results but it's time to change it. I'm thinking about a 908 rear.
Would you guys recommend the 908 rear for this ride or will a new K 60 be good enough?

Thanks

So the big question is what would/will you do differently next time?

Different route at all or the same? Any advice for fellow Austin-ites looking to make the same trip?

Funny we actually had this discussion. First off I'm glad we did the whole route. That being said, I would like to spend several days In the Ouray area. My wife and I have being going to Ouray every August for the past 4 years and I absolutely love riding the area. The Taylor Park area was pretty fun too.

So if I were to do it again I would camp out in Ouray for at least 2-3 days and ride an unloaded bike over all the other passes in the area. My favorite combination is to hit Black Bear early in the morning... about 0800 ish ride into Telluride and have breakfast then ride Imogene back over then hit Yankee Boy Basin to finish up by just after noon for lunch back in Ouray.

I would like to do the same in Taylor Park. Camp a few days and ride an unloaded bike on all those trails out there.

We're actually planning on doing something like that for next summer already. My wife had to miss out this summer and said she doesn't want to next summer. I have all year to get her to trust riding 2 up with on Black Bear :trust:

I wouldn't bother doing section 5 and 6 next time either.

What bikes will you be on?

Thanks for the report Guys!
A quick question if you please?
I'm planing on doing this ride soon on my 990. I've been run a K60 on the rear with good results but it's time to change it. I'm thinking about a 908 rear.
Would you guys recommend the 908 rear for this ride or will a new K 60 be good enough?

Thanks

I actually ran a brand new 908 rear on my 990 and have no complaints. It hooked up pretty good on all the surfaces we rode. I ran pretty high pressures because I HATE changing flats on a ride. That caused a little wiggle here and there in some curves on the gravel but I figured it out pretty quick and ended up having fun with it sliding in and out of curves.

It handled the wet roads well too.

Patrick ran Mitas Dakars and he was really happy with those. I looked into the Mitas too but couldnt get my size at the time I was buying tires.

Have fun on your ride.

Funny we actually had this discussion. First off I'm glad we did the whole route. That being said, I would like to spend several days In the Ouray area. My wife and I have being going to Ouray every August for the past 4 years and I absolutely love riding the area. The Taylor Park area was pretty fun too.

So if I were to do it again I would camp out in Ouray for at least 2-3 days and ride an unloaded bike over all the other passes in the area. My favorite combination is to hit Black Bear early in the morning... about 0800 ish ride into Telluride and have breakfast then ride Imogene back over then hit Yankee Boy Basin to finish up by just after noon for lunch back in Ouray.

I would like to do the same in Taylor Park. Camp a few days and ride an unloaded bike on all those trails out there.

We're actually planning on doing something like that for next summer already. My wife had to miss out this summer and said she doesn't want to next summer. I have all year to get her to trust riding 2 up with on Black Bear :trust:

I wouldn't bother doing section 5 and 6 next time either.

What bikes will you be on?
I'll be riding a 2011 G650GS and we'll have to get JasonJ to tell us what he's riding. Goober sold his bike right before I bought mine.

We've been reading ride reports and watching the videos to get some preliminary plans in place. Every bit of experience and input helps.

several comments within this thread indicated how being able to ride UNENCUMBERED by gear would have added, greatly, to the experience

"Q"

is the route doable in a JEEP WRANGLER?

would having a CHASE VEHICLE have added to the experiences of the riders?

i saw a thread over on ADVrider where that was done on part of the TAT and the riders raved about riding their nekkid bikes...

since my off road riding days are in my wake, i was wondering if providing a chase vehicle, on rides like this, would be doable and/or something riders would embrace

just a ponderment

sw

several comments within this thread indicated how being able to ride UNENCUMBERED by gear would have added, greatly, to the experience

"Q"

is the route doable in a JEEP WRANGLER?

would having a CHASE VEHICLE have added to the experiences of the riders?

i saw a thread over on ADVrider where that was done on part of the TAT and the riders raved about riding their nekkid bikes...

since my off road riding days are in my wake, i was wondering if providing a chase vehicle, on rides like this, would be doable and/or something riders would embrace

just a ponderment

sw

The route can definitely be driven by a Jeep or other 4 wheel drive truck. It would slow the pace significantly though.

I didn't find the ride to be terribly difficult with the exception of a few parts. The tougher stuff was most fun for me. The reason I mention riding without extra gear would be to enjoy the more difficult trails around Ouray.

How about riding the Ural ? :trust:

Now that would be a hoot.

The route can definitely be driven by a Jeep or other 4 wheel drive truck. It would slow the pace significantly though.

I didn't find the ride to be terribly difficult with the exception of a few parts. The tougher stuff was most fun for me. The reason I mention riding without extra gear would be to enjoy the more difficult trails around Ouray.

How about riding the Ural ? :trust:

Now that would be a hoot.

:eek2: YIKES !!! :eek2:

talk about slowing the pace...

is has occurred to me but it would take the right group of riders

sw & CHILI, the wonder monkey(in training)

wow! Great Ride Rpt! Thanks!! SO Glad it went So Well!!

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

I didnt see any indication that it was for sale. Both times we ate there it was very busy.

It may have sold and the new owners are running with it.

Glad to hear it's still going.

Great ride report guys. Can't wait to get back up there myself.
Looking like it may be next summer though.:tears:

Back