• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Pikes Peak

Dutch

Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Looking at planning a trip up pikes peak sometime the end of May or first of June 2015, Like to camp along the way take about a week anyone interested?

I don't know for sure, but in May you still might encounter road closures on Pike's Peak. Actually come to think of it, that might be the case into June as well.

That being said, it is one heck of a fun trip with lots of options for camping so I'd bet that you are in for a fun trip. We are going somewhere in May, it just hasn't been decided where to yet. Most likely into Utah and maybe California to go see Yosemite.

The hard part in camping is northwestern Texas. My vote would be Caprock Canyon SP. Otherwise, you'll be out on the hot, flat plains...

Just call ahead of time. I was just up there on the 12th and the road was open all the way to 11,400 feet. About 6 miles from the top on the road. We drove up as far as we could then turned around and went back down. When I asked the lady at the gate when/if the top would be opened she said it could be another week or 2 before they get all the snow out of the way enough to get people up and down the mtn.

Also use this website for Camping once you get out of Texas.

http://freecampsites.net/

There's pretty much no free wilderness camping in Texas but once you start to go north and west a little you can find a lot more free primitive remote campsites if you are into that. Some of the most pretty and quiet campsites I have found on that website.

Headed that way in mid July.

Staying 3 days at Poncha Springs and doing day loops.

One to 550 north bound as I've done it southbound.

One loop is to Pike's Peak weather dependent.

The other is west as well but includes North pass, Lake City and Creed.

I've got a northerly Aspen / Crested Butte loop in as well for a backup.

:rider:

Go for the PPIHC. Why would a bike guy wanna go any other time? Watch races in the AM, ride to the top of the race course in the PM.

If you want to do a little dirt ride there's a dirt road that runs from Garden of the Gods to north of Pikes Peak. I did part of it in a rental Ford Focus before the snow got too deep lol. Very pretty views though :)

It's called Rampart Range Road. If you zoom in on google maps to garden of the gods you can see it coming off the entrance of the park heading north. I would post a google maps link but it's not cooperating at work right now :/

If you want to do a little dirt ride there's a dirt road that runs from Garden of the Gods to north of Pikes Peak. I did part of it in a rental Ford Focus before the snow got too deep lol. Very pretty views though :)

It's called Rampart Range Road. If you zoom in on google maps to garden of the gods you can see it coming off the entrance of the park heading north. I would post a google maps link but it's not cooperating at work right now :/

phantom canyon road is fun.

Back