• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

JT.- Mexico- "Danger, Danger, Danger!!!"

We came upon this ranch and the track directed us to the right just before we got to a gate. The fence was stopping us from turning so we decided to go and talk to the rancher and ask for permission to go through his property. I went in first while the rest stayed behind. A couple of man came out of the house and we spent some time talking. They asked me all kind of questions about what we were doing around. They were wondering if we were with the oil company since the previous year or two some strangers showed up surveying for oil. They were happy to let us through and gave us some directions. However, they were not what we needed since they route was the main road and not the trail we wanted. A third man joined the conversation and it happened to be the father of the other two. The old man remained me of Old man and the sea. He had a lazo in his hand and looked like he had just finished riding a bronco. He let me know that just behind their house was the trail we wanted and we were welcome to use it. We went about our business and said goodbye.

http://youtu.be/Y3r-LDZr4f8

The tequila and jack came out and we settled for a good chat around the fire.

That probably explains why it didn't feel so cold out.....

IMG_4712-L.jpg

Anyone notice that large mound of dirt in front of the tree (next to JT's hammock)? Holy cow, what could that be......... :mrgreen:

IMG_6949-L.jpg

Whatever it was he sure seems to have slept well.
IMG_4718-L.jpg

Iz
IMG_4723-L.jpg

Edwin
IMG_4719-L.jpg

Stingray getting a little extra water before leaving camp 1.
IMG_6955-L.jpg

Last edited:
Holy cow! I forgot about JT's girlfriend. She was six feet under ground. I am sure she kept him warm that cold night. I thing I heard some noises coming from that direction. That's a pretty big mount!

BTW. this vid is kind of long but it shows the route through the valleys after we left camp 1. The track/trail would disappear and reappear. I hope you guys like it.

[ame="http://youtu.be/h9j0bzCua8U"]FILE1276 - YouTube[/ame]

Stingray getting a little extra water before leaving camp 1.
IMG_6955-L.jpg

No one carries any kind of water filter/purefier?

I have one of these and it works great. Just pump right into my camel bak

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/MSR-Miniworks-EX-Microfilter/dp/B002IAOOMA"]Amazon.com : MSR MiniWorks EX Microfilter : Camping Water Filters : Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

Well the trip was all about Danger Danger Danger right? :mrgreen:

I have a Sawyer water filter but never used it. Had I needed to drink that water I would have used the filter, I just used it for cooking so it was boiled. Although I must say that water was looked pretty drinkable. It was coming from a well the guy had on his property.

Sawyer Filter

:clap: I have deep deep admiration for those who can fix electrical problems. I would have been buzzard food.

Amazon.com : MSR MiniWorks EX Microfilter : Camping Water Filters : Sports & Outdoors

We had water filters, just like Scott mentioned, as well as an ultraviolet lamp that Izz had and JT had chlorine pills. So between all of us we could purify all the water in Mexico if needed. :trust: However, the water Scott and I used came straight from the water well. I did not boiled but put it in my camel bag. We were carrying extra water for at least two days. I lost 6 ltrs when I dropped the bike and the cap of my dromedary bag broke.

Keep it coming. I dream of a trip like this someday.:mrgreen:Untill that day I will just read these reports.

:clap: I have deep deep admiration for those who can fix electrical problems. I would have been buzzard food.

I had pretty much the same thought... I suck at finding and fixing electrical problems. I'd almost rather sell a bike at a loss and get a new one that try to fix electrical problems :-P

According to the Raul, the ranch owner, JT's hammock was hanging just above where a dead cow was laid to rest till kingdom come. Raul mentioned to JT and JT could care less. He did not mind sleeping with the dead. Raul was puzzled since he still could smell the stench but we couldn't. So, JT didn't mind, the dead cow didn't mind, we didn't mind, so Raul opted for going back to his house on top of the hill. Another event that took place and I forgot to mention was that we experienced a sighting that left us wondering what had happened. We were seating by the fire talking when I observed a huge fire ball coming down the sky. We all turned around and saw it but could not come up with a logical explanation of what it could have been. It reminded it me of the day I saw the Columbia shuttle exploding in mid air. The difference was this happened at night. It looked like a huge meteor with a long tail. The whole thing just fed our imaginations even more.

At this point in time we were still looking for camp 1. Were running out of daylight and we couldn't find the trail amid the bushes. Izz bike was overheating since he could not turn it off and his battery was not charging either. Nerves were starting to tense up.

[ame="http://youtu.be/kiE2Zx4YEYU"]FILE1281 - YouTube[/ame]

We were on our second day of riding and we had a late start. However, after we left camp 1 we hit some good roads on which we could ride a bit faster and make up lost time. We came upon a ranch which we had denominated "stay away ranch". We had been through the ranch before and we did not have good feelings from our experience. Although nothing really happened, we felt that things could have been different for the worse. Anyhow, we decided to avoid it this time and took a sharp left right before we got to it. We encounter a nice climb and a nice view at the top of the hill.

[ame="http://youtu.be/ocuFC_Z0P08"]FILE1290 - YouTube[/ame]

IMG_1028-L.jpg

IMG_1029-L.jpg

IMG_0226-L.jpg

IMG_0228-L.jpg

IMG_0227-L.jpg

Talk about out back of beyond! I can't imagine the work that went into finding that "road", looks like a whole lotta fun and thanks for posting the pics & movies... especially good while trying not to work, at work.

We were on our second day of riding and we had a late start. However, after we left camp 1 we hit some good roads on which we could ride a bit faster and make up lost time. We came upon a ranch which we had denominated "stay away ranch". We had been through the ranch before and we did not have good feelings from our experience. Although nothing really happened, we felt that things could have been different for the worse.

Howdy Muddy Waters,

Are the roads shown in the video actually located on private land? Perhaps the routes you are using are the equivalent of obscure public accessible "CR or county roads" that go through private property?

...curious as to what happened in the prior visit at the "stay away ranch" location...

Nice report, guys!

RB

Howdy Muddy Waters,

Are the roads shown in the video actually located on private land? Perhaps the routes you are using are the equivalent of obscure public accessible "CR or county roads" that go through private property?

...curious as to what happened in the prior visit at the "stay away ranch" location...

Nice report, guys!

RB
RB, you are mostly right! The roads that we are riding on are mostly, and I mean mostly public road to our knowledge. Most of the trails are unused ones and they have not been used in a long time. I guess they were designed to connect ranches and ejidos at one time or another. Some of this trails are old cavalry/army trails from the time of the mexican revolution and Pancho Villa. I said mostly right because at one pint or another we are on private property, as you can see when we ride just in front of the house, or across a corral. The ranch owners are very nice and so far we have not have an issue when we ask permission to go through. They act like we are supposed to go through and they just built stuff around the road. So, yeah, they could be considered CR or RR. I am glad you are enjoying the report. Thanks for asking.

Talk about out back of beyond! I can't imagine the work that went into finding that "road", looks like a whole lotta fun and thanks for posting the pics & movies... especially good while trying not to work, at work.

Hi Heyduke, thanks for reading the report. There was a lot of work planning and developing the route. Fortunately, it was not me. Izz put days if not weeks pouring over google earth and his maps of Mexico to connect the trails. You have to remember that from the sky above everything looks like a road until you get there. Many of them were barely a cowpath that connected one dried creek to another. The other thing is that there are hundreds of tracks that lead to nowhere and you have to discard them. There was an area where it seems like somebody had a bulldozer training party and they carved trails in all kinds of directions but with dead ends. The most amazing part was the exactitude of the tracks. You may have not been able to see the track even when you were standing right on top of it. We had to trust the planner and his skills.

Well, like as the say goes, " anything that comes up has to go down". The climbing was a bit treacherous but the downhill was, to me, more challenging. Let's try again.

[ame="http://youtu.be/ZyURcxUiz1A"]FILE1291 - YouTube[/ame]

Day 1 Garmin Mapsource Track:

Day%201%20Track_zpsaao8yocz.png

Camp 1 as viewed at home on my couch in Google Earth:

Camp%201%20from%20Google%20Earth_zps8etsbgc3.png

Camp 1 in Garmin Birdseye Imagery:

Camp1%20from%20Garmin%20Birdseye%20Imagery_zpsx6g7ynfi.png

Camp 1 while watching Mudd Missle eats Ramen Noodles for the very first time in his life- not joking, I am mostly a very serious guy:

Ramen_zpsw2alj529.jpg

Back