• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Driveway Bike Races - (an on-going image thread...)

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
I had an opportunity to shoot the regular Thursday night "Driveway Bike Races" here in Austin. This was the first outing with the new setup, and I have to say I was quite pleased with the performance. The races span about three hours and there are multiple group/classifications. Each group runs between 30 and 50 minutes.

Here's a sample of what I liked the most. The full gallery can be viewed HERE

Worked-0003-XL.jpg

Worked-0015-XL.jpg

Worked-0026-XL.jpg

Worked-0040-XL.jpg

Worked-0065-XL.jpg

Worked-0085-XL.jpg

Worked-0112-XL.jpg

Worked-0129-XL.jpg

Worked-0165-XL.jpg

Worked-0396-XL.jpg

Worked-0443-XL.jpg

Worked-0510-XL.jpg

Worked-0578-XL.jpg

Worked-0596-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Re: The Driveway Bike Races

Scott these are really good!

#11 is my favorite in this set. Followed by 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,12,13 and 14. :)

What was the single favorite thing about shooting with your new camera?

Scott these are really good!

#11 is my favorite in this set. Followed by 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,12,13 and 14. :)

What was the single favorite thing about shooting with your new camera?

Thx Duke.

Single thing? Probably burning calories carrying that with the 70-200 on it!

Seriously, focus acquisition/lock speed time with it's dynamic setting on fast moving objects. I can't do just one. The .jpg rendition STOC is stunning. Yes - these are almost STOC except for a crop nip&tuck here and there and maybe 1/3EV comp on a couple. Spot metering and .jpg. Who'd a thunk it?

JPG!!! {GASP}

:lol2:

These look great, Scott. My favorite is #13.

Thanks Kory.

Yeah, I was literally setting up the camera IN the truck AT the venue. ie: time/date info, copyright/artist info and putting the strap on. And Duke says "Shoot Spot/.jpg".... Mmmm, ok. :photo:

I played with two of my favorites. Tighter and just a little tweak/preset conversion to come up with these two versions. Mild to Wild.

#13a
i-tPhRTdG-XL.jpg

#11a
i-QZthm49-XL.jpg

Thanks Kory.

Yeah, I was literally setting up the camera IN the truck AT the venue. ie: time/date info, copyright/artist info and putting the strap on. And Duke says "Shoot Spot/.jpg".... Mmmm, ok. :photo:

I played with two of my favorites. Tighter and just a little tweak/preset conversion to come up with these two versions. Mild to Wild.

#13a
i-tPhRTdG-XL.jpg

#11a
i-QZthm49-XL.jpg

Those two are cool. :thumb:

So what metering mode do you normally shoot in? I'm always in Spot. Or are you referring to a different spot?

Did you have to update LR with the new camera?

I usually use Matrix but have "sort of" determined the images are washed out as an 'average' of the scene. So just recently I've started using the spot metering (the little dot). I've done nothing to LR/new body other than simply import these .jpg files and run some fairly simple stuff against the files, then export as a .jpg. This one is a bit more than fairly simple stuff. Like apply a filter and crop. lol

Here's the B&W one differently....
Still 2048px on the long side!
#11b
i-cRf76Zm-XL.jpg

I usually use Matrix but have "sort of" determined the images are washed out as an 'average' of the scene. So just recently I've started using the spot metering (the little dot). I've done nothing to LR/new body other than simply import these .jpg files and run some fairly simple stuff against the files, then export as a .jpg. This one is a bit more than fairly simple stuff. Like apply a filter and crop. lol

Last I knew, you were holding strong on LR2. Is that still the case? I wouldn't think it would accept the D4s files.

I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't this. Very cool!
So is this a small road course they do bicycle races on? Do they do other races on this?
Looks fun, and like something id like to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh and awesome pics! :thumb:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kory, naw, i'm up to LR5 something now and yes, it rocks.

Jason, this place is known as The Driveway. It's a mini-road course with elevation changes, straights, tight turns and such and is used for all types of motoring events from bicycle races to karts, to spec Miata racing and driving schools for sedans. The track is configurable in several different distances and directions. http://www.drivewayaustin.com/

So this evening I had a nice surprise.....

I got a notification on FB requesting to tag my name from The Driveway Bike Series. Hmmm... It's one of my pics and they wanted to use it for their cover photo! Pressed "Accept", BOOM - DONE. That was quick. They must like what I shot.

i-Kkn8Jt4-XL.jpg

That shot works perfectly for a cover photo.

Well, my second week to shoot The Driveway Bike Race Series happened 04/09/2015. With the threat of heavy rains, the sun really didn't make this easy on me to shoot the weekly races. I DID however get there early enough to see the beginning of the first race and shoot through the last race.

I'll refer to the events by their race week number from this point forward. Here's a few shots from Week #5. The whole gallery for this race can be seen HERE

Worked1-0957-XL.jpg

Worked1-0916-XL.jpg

Worked1-1027-XL.jpg

Worked1-1137-XL.jpg

Worked1-1259-XL.jpg

Worked1-2006-XL.jpg

Worked1-1514-XL.jpg

Nice shots again, Scott.

Looks like you're shooting at a fairly small aperture? I'd love to see some of these at 2.8 or 3.2. :trust:

Thanks.... I won't be able to shoot tomorrows races as I start a four-day TeamRWB Tri-Camp shoot. Man I'm going to be worn-out after four days of chasing these folks around.....

As for f/stops, I was in the 5.6-8 range for most, then crowding 16 for some of the shots I wanted everyone in focus in the lines. Next time out I'll go for some of the 2.8 stuff again with the focus bug on their head. It's actually pretty hard to do - harder than I imagined to do and make it work. The biggest problem is in the panning action and the closer you are the more I tend to swing in a slight arc down instead of perfectly horizontal. Thinking I'll put on some knee pads next and shoot kneeling to see if that fixes it.

Stay tuned..... (the TeamRWB shots hopefully will be coming soon in another thread)

Thanks.... I won't be able to shoot tomorrows races as I start a four-day TeamRWB Tri-Camp shoot. Man I'm going to be worn-out after four days of chasing these folks around.....

As for f/stops, I was in the 5.6-8 range for most, then crowding 16 for some of the shots I wanted everyone in focus in the lines. Next time out I'll go for some of the 2.8 stuff again with the focus bug on their head. It's actually pretty hard to do - harder than I imagined to do and make it work. The biggest problem is in the panning action and the closer you are the more I tend to swing in a slight arc down instead of perfectly horizontal. Thinking I'll put on some knee pads next and shoot kneeling to see if that fixes it.

Stay tuned..... (the TeamRWB shots hopefully will be coming soon in another thread)

Cool, have fun this weekend!

Back