• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KLR650 Thread

I don't want it. At 70 I'm tired of pulling carburetors and cleaning them because of todays fuels.

So you'd rather clean an injector? Not me. Stabil is your friend if you're going to let the bike set up. Personally, I ride mine year around in the woods here, tending a feeder and such. It's my ATV. I do very little road riding anymore, but it's there and licensed if I need to. :D

Guys, if you like fuel injection, the KLR isn't your bike. I find it refreshing that there is ONE motorcycle left in an EPA government controlled world that has a CARBURETOR! I like the KISS principle. If i rode much in the mountains anymore, I'd probably get a different bike with EFI, but I don't.

In 8 years and 60+ K miles, I have not had to pull the carb once! Had it off several times out of curiosity, but not need. And thousands of miles in remote parts of MX, who knows what really is in for gas in the side of the road Coke bottles?

If you are having carb issues, check your PM.

I personally would welcome FI. Significant fuel efficiency, control at all altitudes and these days reliability are there.

Each to their own

I would imagine if Kawi went to injection for a DS it would be on a completely revamped modern suspension type, lighter edition model.
With an abundance of slight modifications over the years, they've kept the KLR more reliable than ever and still as afordable as ever. And with its versatility at the low price it's tough to beat for trail or road. Especially with the amount of farkles from the aftermarket parts available worldwide.

Here is a link that has prolly the most comprehensive listing of changes over the last three decades.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_KLR650

Last edited:
I know that bring up the fuel injection thing always bring out the pros and cons, good thing I did mention he should be looking at a KTM, then we could have twenty more reasons not to by a KLR. My biggest problem with carburetors is that I don't ride my bikes as much as I used to, this is what I think causes most of my problems.

John

As far as first gen vs. second gen, I prefer 1st any day of the week. I have mine to serve as a commuter sometimes and then to take me and my Wife two-up through Big Bend, the Rockies, or any other places like that. And because of that I like less plastic to potentially damage when the thing gets dropped. Sure, I could bolt a couple dozen pounds of steel on an already piggy bike, but that wouldn't do me any favors going over rough ground.

I know that bring up the fuel injection thing always bring out the pros and cons, good thing I did mention he should be looking at a KTM, then we could have twenty more reasons not to by a KLR. My biggest problem with carburetors is that I don't ride my bikes as much as I used to, this is what I think causes most of my problems.

Here is an excellent read that reviews the pros and cons of FI and water cooling.

http://www.sibirskyextreme.com/2013/09/adv-bike-selection-2/

_

Here is an excellent read that reviews the pros and cons of FI and water cooling.

http://www.sibirskyextreme.com/2013/09/adv-bike-selection-2/

_

Pretty good article. I tdidn't mention anything about the solenoids going bad, which is the actual problem with the injectors. As the injector rarely goes bad as its solenoid does. Problem with that is most of the time you just can't buy the solenoid.
After hundreds of thousands of miles the solenoids are the main failure on million mile semis.
Field cleaning a carb needs no new parts.
Seems to be slightly biased. Don't think anyone was debating that carbs are better. Just preferred, if and when something goes. Also the KLR doesn't have the parts availability problem of most bikes.
And then there's the price tag of aquiring a bike with EFI. Often one and a half times to three times the price of the klr?
And to be fair, the KLR in its 3 decades have far surpassed and proved its reliability on round the World trips perhaps more than any other bike.

For $4999 you'll be hard pressed to find a bike capable of the klr.

Most people can't afford the KLR, I think that's the main concern.

John

Memorize this. Go to Walmart and buy it....USE it, your carb woes are over. You don't want your fuel injector gumming up, either. Trust me, that's far worse than cleaning a carburetor, usually involves an injector shop.

STA-BIL-Fuel-Stabilizer-458.jpg

STA-BIL® Fuel Stabilizer
Keeps fuel fresh for up to 12 months during storage
Eliminates the need to drain fuel prior to storage
Ensures quick, easy starts after storage
Prevents gum and varnish build-up
Effective in all gasoline, including Ethanol blends
For all gasoline engines, including 2-cycle

Anytime my bikes/quad were going to sit longer than a week, I put STA-BIL in it.

It's easier to pour it in than clean a carb; like you said.

Hit 65K yesterday; amazed the amount of people that ask me "do you do the top end every year?".........like it's NOT a four-cycle water cooled machine. Or as if it's a 13.5 to 1 race engine.......I guess if it ever starts using oil, or the fuel efficiency drops I'll take it apart and fix something but as long as it starts and runs economically......I'm leaving her alone! :trust:

Pretty good article.

It's written in biase tone.

For motorcycling, I think the the advantages of FI vs carb is so small...that to say one is superior than the other...is just gimmicky marketing.

The environment our motorcycle lives under is nowhere near as harsh as airoplanes in 30,000 feet.

FI is cool and neat...but carb works just fine for me...and when you can get the job done with less, why pay extra money?

Last edited:
For $4999 you'll be hard pressed to find a bike capable of the klr.

Most people can't afford the KLR, I think that's the main concern.

Kawasaki website shows MSRP of $6,599 + $345 destination charge = total $6,944 + TTL so OTD in Texas of ~$7,475 ??

_

I would imagine if Kawi went to injection for a DS it would be on a completely revamped modern suspension type, lighter edition model.

If they go "modern"...the seat height will be 37". Engine will go down to 450cc--no torque. You'd be replacing the delicate top end as a regular schedule maintaince. Wannabe enduro riders would like it, but most average joe DS riders would not.

KLR is number 1 selling DS in 'Merica, by far. I doubt Green will mess with a sales wining formula.

Last edited:
Hit 65K yesterday; amazed the amount of people that ask me "do you do the top end every year?".........like it's NOT a four-cycle water cooled machine. Or as if it's a 13.5 to 1 race engine.......I guess if it ever starts using oil, or the fuel efficiency drops I'll take it apart and fix something but as long as it starts and runs economically......I'm leaving her alone! :trust:

You lucky dog.:lol2: I am at 44K and ready for another top end. Runs perfect but is starting to drink oil again. Haven't been riding it is as much so I just keep adding oil at this point.

Yours is an 07?
I have almost half that mileage on my 013 in less than two years with one rebuild.
I know a guy who has an 05 with 200,000 road miles.

Gotta keep it all in perspective.
These things will go around the world without a rebuild, or you can ride it into the ground locally.
Either way it's a very inexpensive fix.

Back