• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I'm not digging the new google maps...

I'm agreeing, for a while you could select the old version but I think that's been removed.

The new version still does what the old version did. It is just is more confusing to use and you have to fiddle around for a while to figure out how to get things done that were simple in the older version. To my taste it is a step backward not forward.

I'm not digging the browser version or the applications for iphone or android either. I miss the version from about 2 years ago. Seems like all they really needed to do to improve it back then was add in the ability to program a trip with multiple waypoints. Not sure why they keep retooling what was already a perfect app...

It's gotten so bad I just finally broke down and bought a used garmin nuvi 225 off ebay. I had a 205 but someone stole it out of my truck (my mistake for leaving it unlocked accidentally). I had a lifetime maps upgrade I was just fixing to install in it but had delayed on doing so. I got the garmin for 25 bucks off ebay, including shipping, along with the mount and the charger. I figure it will be an easy project to mount for bike trips but also still use in the vehicle to compensate for the crappy state that the google maps apps are in right now.

About once a week I post feedback to Google telling them how much i HATE the new maps. HATE them. Have had to find another source to do my route planning, so I can get a satisfactory route transferred to my Garmin. I HATE the new google maps. HATE them.

I was in that camp. I used the 'classic' maps for a long time to make routes for rides. But - over time - I've been able to get the new maps to do everything I was able to do with the old one. Plus more. It does seem harder to use, and I can't stand that I can't get the floating box in the top left to disappear or hide when I want it to.

So, I understand your frustration, but if you poke around and fiddle a bit, the new version can still be used to make routes to later be downloaded to devices for navigation.

I was in that camp. I used the 'classic' maps for a long time to make routes for rides. But - over time - I've been able to get the new maps to do everything I was able to do with the old one. Plus more. It does seem harder to use, and I can't stand that I can't get the floating box in the top left to disappear or hide when I want it to.

So, I understand your frustration, but if you poke around and fiddle a bit, the new version can still be used to make routes to later be downloaded to devices for navigation.

I will not fiddle around with the HATED new Google maps for ride planning. I use an old Streetpilot and I want to rename the waypoints to actual street names or hwy numbers. Can't get a useful file from the HATED new Google maps for that.

I will not fiddle around with the HATED new Google maps for ride planning. I use an old Streetpilot and I want to rename the waypoints to actual street names or hwy numbers. Can't get a useful file from the HATED new Google maps for that.

Stuart, relax. Don't use it!

:)

Maybe you'd like something like Tyre?

http://www.tyretotravel.com/

I tried this site, because I too am frustrated with Google Maps and got this warning from my virus protection software :

---------------------------------------
Malicious Web Site Blocked

You attempted to access:
http://www.tyretotravel.com/

This is a known malicious web site. It is recommended that you do NOT visit this site. The detailed report explains the security risks on this site.

For your protection, this web site has been blocked. Visit Symantec to learn more about phishing and internet security.
---------------------------------------

:shrug:

I'm not a fan either of the new Google maps. About a month ago they disabled some features in Classic Maps, presumably to make the new ones more enticing. About 2 weeks ago, the 'Return to Classic Maps' option disappeared.

HOWEVER, I've already revisited Mapquest, Yahoo Maps, etc, and Google is still probably as good as it gets.

haha.

Works for me. 121 miles to waco...didn't know it was that far from me.

It turns out there IS a way to get back to Classic Google Maps. If you happen to have a route link saved in Classic format (and I have dozens), open that link & you'll be in Google Classic Maps. Google may eventually plug that hole but, for now, it's there.

I say all of you should come ride in Brenham....i can provide detailed instructions so no maps are needed...hehe

I say all of you should come ride in Brenham....i can provide detailed instructions so no maps are needed...hehe

I just checked the new Google maps (which I like) and saw that Brenham is not the only place to ride, but thanks.

I can use the new version and do most of what the old version did, but I still prefer the old version.

I hate that the little window over the map continually resizes itself - if you're going to block the screen, just do it. I get the map to the zoom I want and then do something and the box covers the screen so I have to change the zoom..

It is harder to get to driving directions on screen the way I want to see them.

It is slower.

I just checked the new Google maps (which I like) and saw that Brenham is not the only place to ride, but thanks.

Thanks for your insight...i didnt realize that...probably the best riding in the surrounding area for those who dont travel far like us...

Last edited:
Back