• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2015 MexTrek, Oct 15 - 18th, Galeana, Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always had the original for the permit but then carry a copy instead on the ride only

Here's what you need when riding around Mexico:

(1) Drivers License

(2) Passport or Passport Card

(3) Original copy of either your bike's title or your state vehicle registration for the bike.

(4) Proof of Mexico insurance

This set of documents will get you past any pop up aduana check points, military control points, and any state, federal, or local traffic stops.

Bear in mind, the chances of any of that happening are about as good as Nicky Hayden winning another world title in MotoGP, but as I always say, it's all fun and games not paying attention to good advice until you get your butt in a jam.

As an example, officials at the Ojinaga crossing (Presidio TX) have been spot checking bike ownership vs bike rider for a long time.

When I rentered from Guatemala, a nice Army officer wanted to see my passport and the TVIP.

Copies? Think of copies as only part of the processing for TVIPs and tourist cards. You can either bring copies of your key docs or make them at the border. You're going to have to get a copy made of your apps anyway, so I don't even bother making copies but having said that most do make advance copies.

DO NOT count on copies of your title or bike registration passing muster downrange at any kind of stop. I'm not saying it won't work, but I am saying don't bet the farm on it.

The point is, the easy and legitimate way to handle Mexico paperwork is so easy, there's little point in getting creative in non-legitimate ways of doing things and "hoping it works" and or "hoping I don't get caught"

There you have it. Now you know what you're technically, legally supposed to have. If you want to get creative and roll the dice, have at it. I agree, you probably won't get caught, but having said that, I offer no guarantees.

I received a telephone call on a topic related to this ride and since he asked the question there might be another with the same question:

"Is my SPOT tracker rescue insurance good enough to count as Mexico insurance?"

No

SPOT GEOS Rescue and MedJet fly home insurance is completely different than the insurance you get on your motorcycle for liability and/or damage.

Notes:

(1) You are required to have at minimum liability insurance on your motorcycle. Damage and theft coverage is optional.

(2) GEOS rescue and Medjet insurance is not the required motorcycle insurance. They are totally optional insurance.

(3) GEOS rescue, no matter who sells it, and MedJet are two different things with different sets of rules. It can get a bit complicated to explain, so if you're interested send me a PM.

To put it in simple terms, GEOS comes and finds you in the forest or at the bottom of the ravine. MedJet comes to the hospital in Mexico and puts you on a medevac flight and takes you back to the US to another hospital.

I'm not sure I would push for either just for a trip to Galeana, but if you it and/or can afford it, it could be nice to have. There have been injuries on past MexTreks. Trail Boss can comment if he wants.

I got back last month after a 2 week trip into the interior of Mexico.
I thought I would just buy some insurance in McAllen before crossing over.
I could not find anyone who sold it so I got online and the best deal I could find was Like $150 for 1 month or $160 for 2 months,I ended up saying to **** with it and went down for 2 weeks and was never asked for it.I am not advocating doing that as I took a chance.( I never would have attempted that in a car)
My question is:What is the best rate you guys have found for minimum stay?

I got back last month after a 2 week trip into the interior of Mexico.
I thought I would just buy some insurance in McAllen before crossing over.
I could not find anyone who sold it so I got online and the best deal I could find was Like $150 for 1 month or $160 for 2 months,I ended up saying to **** with it and went down for 2 weeks and was never asked for it.I am not advocating doing that as I took a chance.( I never would have attempted that in a car)
My question is:What is the best rate you guys have found for minimum stay?

Well, I went to my old standby insurance company, Mexadventure, or technically known as Adventure Mexican Insurance Services. I've been buying online from them for years.

I plugged in the data for a bike I made up on the spot, a 2012 KLR 650, for liability only as my test case, over the span of 4 days, Thurs - Sun, here was the return:

i-qf2bJmB-L.jpg

Then I plugged in my actual 2015 GSA at 25K full coverage on the daily policy for 4 days:

i-GvCdD4n-L.jpg

Finally, my other actual bike, my 2013 KTM 500 which I placed a 12K valuation on:

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-cpswWxd/0/L/i-cpswWxd-L.jpg

You can run your bike through the same pop up calculator I did for however many days you'll be in Mexico and see what you come up with. A quick way to save $$$ is to buy liability only, which is the min level required.

You may want to copy the plan of the poster above who just skipped the insurance part, but be aware during the BMW rally in Durango a few years ago, a bunch of bikes were riding through a small town when a bunch of little kids ran out to see the rarely seen machines come through their town. Sadly, one of the motos struck and killed a little kid. I've never heard of something like that happening before or since, but you tell me, was he happy he spent the $$ on insurance??

Daily plans online aren't that much. I wouldn't skip on it.

Who has it that said they had parking spots for the trip
If there is still one I would like to have it
Thanks

Who has it that said they had parking spots for the trip
If there is still one I would like to have it
Thanks
I got you covered there no worries, you, striple and alpine are parking at my place, I got enough space for two more trucks, let me know

Liability sounds good enough to me, full coverage is way more expensive, most accidents will be you and your bike only, and as long as you get your bike back across the border even if it's on the back of a pickup, and you have full coverage in the states, make a claim over here and on a motorcycle most damages can be self inflicted so insurance won't require a police report, and don't have to worry about a lengthy complicated Mexican police reporting process. Just get you and your baby back across and it'll all sort itself, Done it twice, less hassles.

I feel invisible. Still don't know if I need to reserve my own room, did I send my $$ to the right person (Unclesroundthebend), who to tell my t shirt pref (xxl), how to get my name on the list, and what to do if I don't need a third ride guide. I guess if I get no answer I'll just make my own reservation and show up.

Edit by Peter - Dave, you are registered, we have all your info, and we have a booking for you in Galeana.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am also lurking on this thread, hoping to show up at the last minute. Every time I say I am in on a Mexico trip, something comes up to stop me. So this time I am trying the nonchalant sneak up on it at the last minute approach. At least that way if I am once again denied... Only I will be let down. But if I somehow do manage to make the trip, I will be game to split a room with someone wherever we can get in on short notice.

OK, here we go. I have insurance, temporary vehicle import permit (and I've e-mailed necessary documents to Banjercito), copy of title, letter from lien holder allowing travel with motorcycle to Mexico and registration. I've paid $40 to unclesaroundthebend@gmail.com via paypal and included my t-shirt size in that payment. I assume, but am not sure, I have a room in Galeana. I assume we get tourist card after we cross over into Mexico and that this isn't something I can get online prior to trip. Blk1989 and I are spending the night in San Antonio Tuesday night and are looking to join group for ride down to McAllen Wednesday. I still need to make a reservation for Wednesday night in McAllen. Am I missing anything? I appreciate the help of everyone involved in putting this thing together, including tricepilot for help with online TVIP process

I will be staying with a buddy from high school in San Antonio too, would like to join up on Wednesday to ride to McAllen. We will probably go get tourist card and vehicle permit on Wednesday evening so we can haul *** through the border Thursday morning without delay. I've made this trip 4 times, so I sort of know the way, though its not difficult. If anyone wants to hook up in s.a., text 903-450-5679

I'll text you Wednesday. Let me know about what time you want to roll out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just sold it. I may end up regretting it. Going to replace with smaller dirt oriented DS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, here we go. I have insurance, temporary vehicle import permit (and I've e-mailed necessary documents to Banjercito), copy of title, letter from lien holder allowing travel with motorcycle to Mexico and registration. I've paid $40 to unclesaroundthebend@gmail.com via paypal and included my t-shirt size in that payment. I assume, but am not sure, I have a room in Galeana. I assume we get tourist card after we cross over into Mexico and that this isn't something I can get online prior to trip. Blk1989 and I are spending the night in San Antonio Tuesday night and are looking to join group for ride down to McAllen Wednesday. I still need to make a reservation for Wednesday night in McAllen. Am I missing anything? I appreciate the help of everyone involved in putting this thing together, including tricepilot for help with online TVIP process

Looks like you got it all together

In a perfect world, every one of you guys would practice changing the tube out of the rear tire while you're still here in the USA, and do it in your driveway with only the tools you'll bring to Galeana. Front tires are cake compared to the rear tire.

There's nothing like a renewed skill set in the bank, and the confidence that goes with it Anyone who takes me up on this tip is likely to discover or remember that one piece of kit for tire/tube issues that they might have left home.

I tell you guys this because I don't want you out on the trail at 4 in the afternoon and someone notices that they have a flat. In a commonly seen routine, 3 guys get out all their tire pulling gear and see who has what and the team effort that ensues gets the job done but it takes twice as long because nobody has practiced the art of bead breaking and getting the bead back on a Dunlop 606 and nobody brought any tire lube. Plus the flat happened to the guy who jumped on the ride and he himself has never changed out a flat so he's depending upon you to help him get back on the ride. Now it starts to get dark and the old batteries in the one head lamp that one guy brought start to go dim. etc. etc. etc. you get my point. Get out there in your driveway this weekend and practice on that rear tire with only the tools you'll bring to Galeana. Every one of you on this ride needs to do this if you've not practiced flat tire repair in over a year. Again, this is just advice take it or leave it.

I feel invisible. Still don't know if I need to reserve my own room, did I send my $$ to the right person (Unclesroundthebend), who to tell my t shirt pref (xxl), how to get my name on the list, and what to do if I don't need a third ride guide. I guess if I get no answer I'll just make my own reservation and show up.
I think shad man already reserved at magies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back