• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2015 MexTrek, Oct 15 - 18th, Galeana, Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wrote this in an email to Juan who is crossing the next day. Did I get it all right or miss anything critical?

Juan,

In the simplest terms, cash $100 or so on the US side into Pesos. Banks are along the road to the bridge. You can get more pesos at ATM's across mexico.

Ride across the Alzanduas bridge. Pass thru Mexican customs (red/green light determines if you are questioned / searched) 1:50 ratio.

Enter immigration office with: Driver's License, Valid Passport, Vehicles registration (and title if you have it), 2 photocopies of each, credit card with $500 available, or $500 in cash.

Get in line. They will provide you with a (permit / visa / card / stamp, not sure) that allows you to individually enter Mexico. Get a TVIP (temp vehicle import permit) that is good for 180 days (same as visa, they are linked). You will have to put down a $400 cash or credit deposit saying that you don't intend to sell the vehicle in Mexico. Make sure the TVIP sticker and paperwork's VIN matches the VIN on your title at the window or you will have issues later.

They will give you a sticker to place in or on the bike (you don't have to affix it, just be able to produce it). You put sticker on bike, keep the rest on your person. They speak english, are helpful, and take american dollars. You may need one or two dollars in Pesos as they require you to pay for a few photocopies they require along the process. (photocopy office is outside, 50 yard hike)

When you leave, they have to physically inspect the returning vehicle, cancel the permit, and give you cash or credit refund on the spot. Very important you do this on the way out of country cause you can only do this at the border.

Peter

Last edited:
I wrote this in an email to Juan who is crossing the next day. Did I get it all right or miss anything critical?

They will give you a sticker to place on the bike and possibly come outside and inspect the VIN. You put sticker on bike, keep the rest on your person. They speak english, are helpful, and take american dollars.

Notes

(1) They won't come outside to inspect the VIN on the bike. That's only done when turning in the TVIP. It is critical, however, to check your VIN on the TVIP against that on your title/registration while standing at the window, and make any corrections then and there (I've never seen them make a mistake, but can't vouch for the fact the it might never have happened).

(2) Fold the TVIP (a hologram sticker affixed to a piece of paper) and put it away in a riding pannier or bag. You don't have to affix the hologram sticker to a bike windscreen or fork. You just have to produce it if asked. Which you probably won't be downrange.

(3) At Anzalduas, the copy place is out the back door to the right, about 50 yards away.

Banjercito did make a mistake on my TVIP last December at Allende. Only time in 15 years. Wasn't the VIN but my name. I've made it a habit to check everything on the form twice and when I pointed out the error I had a corrected TVIP in hand in about two minutes. Poor guy 'bout broke a sweat.

Be diligent about checking these things before turning away from the Banjercito window as there are few people in any official capacity available to resolve such errors once you've hit the road with your papers.

On a related topic, although it's rarely encountered, check the VIN on your vehicle registration form against the bike's stamped VIN before leaving home. It has happened.

GPS / GPX tracks mailed. If you did not receive an email and are planning on attending, please post up quickly so I can get you all needed information ASAP.

Striple is not going to make it, so I have space on my trailer and truck
Leaving Denton early Wed who would like a lift

Dave, you are more than welcome to get your paperwork done Thursday morning and then ride with the group. There will always be some late arrivals who end up doing this. FWIW, the ride from Studio 6 to the Mexican immigration office over the bridge is only 11km, 7 miles.

The reason Richard has recommended this is the desire to not have any hangups the morning of travel. If a document is misplaced, something forgotten that needs to be faxed, etc... we'll have 25 people waiting. Inevitably on the one guy who left his passport in the truck back at the hotel.

I understand. Dale and I should arrive in time to get it done Wednesday night. If it goes smoothly, I'll complement you on your wisdom. If it takes two hours to get back, I'll curse you and whine and make you buy me a beer.

Wow this will be a huge first for me, 24 or so riders is alot, most ive done before is 10, it should be very interesting.

I HATE to pull out, but the bike has an electrical issue, and I'd hate for that to raise its ugly head in MX. You guys have fun and be safe!

View attachment 2014-05-25.gpx
mr Peter, this is my intended route but to break away in China and head to caderayta then Santiago, I've been up to Laguna de Sanchez only from there to rayones I see 2 water crossings only, and if it's early enough we might head to cienega as well, I'm looking for any takers to ride with me this route, let me know guys...

This is basically the route Rich and I took coming home from our May 2014 trip. We toll the toll road back from Cadereyta. Here is the track, 2014-5-25, just reverse it. It makes for a great day!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2015-10-13 09.01.49.jpg
    Screenshot 2015-10-13 09.01.49.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 271
In regard to riding after dark: I have been on a good, freshly paved highway with no signs of issues and suddenly came upon 30 or so burros standing in the road. Later, same newly paved road, two potholes about the size of a wading pool. About as deep too. So if you ride after dark, beware.......

I used to ride with my buddy Jeff on this run, and he always got optimistic about what we could finish in a day. Me, I get pessimistic, finish my ride in time for happy hour. Speaking of which, don't stand around in the plaza with a bottle or can of beer in your hand. It is not legal. Get a cup or a sack or something. The Policia were very courteous in telling us this, even though one of us not me was drunk and loud.

Good advice Dave. I rode 30 miles at dusk in the rain one year. Found out when it truly got dark that my headlight was totally burned out. So I was riding in Mexico, almost dark, in the rain, with no light. I felt stupid, but was glad I was part of a group. One journey through a construction area gravel pit convinced me to ride my own ride the last few miles at 20 MPH.

View attachment 35875

This is basically the route Rich and I took coming home from our May 2014 trip. We toll the toll road back from Cadereyta. Here is the track, 2014-5-25, just reverse it. It makes for a great day!

We may try this out on the way home. I always hated that I just rode concrete home each trip. Thanks for the map. FYI, clicking the above opens a GPX for your GPS or google earth.

Juan,

In the simplest terms, cash $100 or so on the US side into Pesos. Banks are along the road to the bridge. You can get more pesos at ATM's across mexico.

Ride across the Alzanduas bridge. Pass thru Mexican customs (red/green light determines if you are questioned / searched) 1:50 ratio.

Enter immigration office with: Driver's License, Valid Passport, Vehicles registration (and title if you have it), 2 photocopies of each, credit card with $500 available, or $500 in cash.

Get in line. They will provide you with a (permit / visa / card / stamp, not sure) that allows you to individually enter Mexico. Get a TVIP (temp vehicle import permit) that is good for 180 days (same as visa, they are linked). You will have to put down a $400 cash or credit deposit saying that you don't intend to sell the vehicle in Mexico. Make sure the TVIP sticker and paperwork's VIN matches the VIN on your title at the window or you will have issues later.

They will give you a sticker to place in or on the bike (you don't have to affix it, just be able to produce it). You put sticker on bike, keep the rest on your person. They speak english, are helpful, and take american dollars. You may need one or two dollars in Pesos as they require you to pay for a few photocopies they require along the process. (photocopy office is outside, 50 yard hike)

When you leave, they have to physically inspect the returning vehicle, cancel the permit, and give you cash or credit refund on the spot. Very important you do this on the way out of country cause you can only do this at the border.

Peter

10-4... 1000xThanks

Leaving Austin at 0930 Wednesday / Dao. Both on vstrom 650. Heading to Potrero Chico for the night. Then going west of Monterey to Galeana. Taking half road and half dirt to get there. Thru Laguna de Sanchez. See you Thursday.

Jeff Nouis in 150. Management asked that we leave our vehicles on the east side of the complex while we're away. These spaces that are not next to any rooms. Thanks

Leaving Austin at 0930 Wednesday / Dao. Both on vstrom 650. Heading to Potrero Chico for the night. Then going west of Monterey to Galeana. Taking half road and half dirt to get there. Thru Laguna de Sanchez. See you Thursday.
u going south to Galeana From Laguna de Sanchez offroad? That route is ok for a vstrom? Me and Peter doing it Thursday on klx 400's, how are the water crossings thru there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back