• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2016 9th Annual Uncle's Around the Bend, Feb 25th - 28th, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like you have a clogged return port in your master cylinder. Is this on the Yamaha? Rebuild kits from Yamaha are around $20.00. The only specialized tool needed to overhaul that is a good pair of inside snap ring pliers.

Jason. If you need parts I am heading down Tuesday and can pick em up and deliver.
Mike

Its on the little suzuki.

Ed, I've seen you on the road a couple of times but have not hooked up with you yet. Are you staying at your buddies place in Ocatillo Flats?

Hey Jason -
Pleasure to run into you in the park a few days ago! Always good to see a friendly TWT member out and about.

Hey Jason -
Pleasure to run into you in the park a few days ago! Always good to see a friendly TWT member out and about.

Yup, good seeing you again! Next time, stick around a little bit and get that DR dirty!

Jason. If you need parts I am heading down Tuesday and can pick em up and deliver.
Mike

Thanks Mike, everything for this little DR is mail order. I'll pick a day when I don't have plans and tear into it, that could be any day between now and next Thursday!

My guess on your brake problem: Caliper is hanging up...make sure it is "floating"(grab it and it should move slightly side to side) or your brake pads and pucks aren't returning(jack the wheel in the air spin wheel and grab brake and then see if wheel spins freely)

I am new to this group and this event, but I love the Big Bend area and know it reasonably well - though have never ridden down there. I have not registered yet but planning to come down from Dallas on Thursday and be there by dinner time.

Is that too late? Should I try to come a day earlier? Is there still enough to do Friday and Saturday if I come late Thursday? I saw that the newbie ride is Thursday morning?

My other dilemma - I have a DRZ400, and Triumph Tiger 800 xcx and a Kawasaki KLX140. What should I bring? I will be trailering, though I first thought with the nice weather I would ride down on the Tiger.

I just don't know the different rides you are doing and don't know anyone. Have always wanted to ride Pinto Canyon out of Marfa. Is that part of the ride that goes to Marfa? What is percentage of participants on adventure bikes vs. dirt bikes? Also, I am not good on technical hills, so that would be an issue for me for the dirt rides if they are advanced.

Anyone camping at Rancho Topango in Terlingua? I have only been down in a car before and have stayed at Lajitas, and hotels in Alpine and Ft. Davis, so not too familiar with the Terlingua lodging....

I have a DRZ400, and Triumph Tiger 800 xcx and a Kawasaki KLX140. What should I bring? I will be trailering, though I first thought with the nice weather I would ride down on the Tiger.

I just don't know the different rides you are doing and don't know anyone?

Anyone camping at Rancho Topango in Terlingua?.

Hey Coyote, good to see you on board. To answer a couple of you're questions, from what I have seen registered this year, I think it's about a 70% small bike crowd, and 30% big bikes. Either choice you make, there will be various groups among both small and bike; some hard core, riding the rougher tracks in the state park, some riding mainly street, and some doing a mix of asphalt and the lighter dirt trails. Meet up with the breakfast crowd in the mornings and you'll quickly find a group that meets your style and/or ability. Young and old, fast and slow; there's something for everyone.

I'm riding down on Thursday on my Super Tenere, and my buddies coming in on Friday on his Vstrom, and we're camping at Rancho Topanga so look for us when you arrive and we'll pop a cold one. If you decide to bring the big bike you're more than welcome to ride with us as we plan a good mix of asphalt, as well as dirt that's all doable with a low to moderate degree of difficulty on the big bike.

My other dilemma - I have a DRZ400, and Triumph Tiger 800 xcx and a Kawasaki KLX140. What should I bring? I will be trailering, though I first thought with the nice weather I would ride down on the Tiger.

Bring ALL THREE and we'll discuss what you should ride over dinner:chug:

If the KLX is not plated I don't know where you would ride it. All the parks are street legal only.

We might camp out on the drive back to Dallas. Anyone familiar with San Angelo SP? There are multiple campgrounds and no maps.

I have a question for you guys. I'm riding down on Wednesday morning and coming home Sunday. It'll be my first time in Big Bend. My buddy and I were supposed to split a room at El Dorado but he may not be able to make it. I'm not sure if I want to pay $80/night just for me. Are there any other options for cheap stays or camping in the area? I'd like to stay close to the action in Terlingua. Thx.

Also, I'm new to dual sport riding so plan on doing the Newbie dinner Weds night and clinic on Thurs. Even though I have a 650 I'd planning to do the Dos y Dos on Saturday. I guess I'll find a group for a nice Friday ride. I'm hoping for a nice mix of asphalt and dirt and just enjoying the scenery. I'm really looking forward to the trip.

Ok, my little brain cell just stumbled across something. The Dos y Dos is a start and finish loop from Rio Grande Village (RGV) correct? How are we getting the little bikes there and back from Study Butte in a timely fashion?

I takes about 60 minutes door to door. We will take our transport vehicles as the ride is for smaller bikes that would not venture the whole distance on their own.

Depart Starlight at 8AM, arrive 9AM RGV.

Leave for Terlingua at 5PM, arrive 6PM, with 1 hour to shower and shave before the banquet.

That leaves 8 hours to ride 85 miles, of which 25 or so is paved. Average speed required: 10 point something MPH. 20 MPH is the more likely average leaving 4 hours to sight see, climb the mine, eat lunch, soak in the hot springs...take your pick. And, remember, this is a challenge. No one has done the whole challenge yet...cause last year we had mud pies that stopped us in our tracks. And hail. And flooding. And sidehacks jumping stop signs. But sleep easy, with all 4 of the "there and back" legs terminating at or very near RGV, anyone who is behind simply just won't start the next leg. Also, we do this ride as a group, unless a group of fast guys show up, and want to just blaze ahead. It is very doable. I rode the whole trip in under 3 hours on my CRF 150 at about a 30 MPH average, 25 on dirt, 45 on concrete.

P

I am new to this group and this event, but I love the Big Bend area and know it reasonably well - though have never ridden down there. I have not registered yet but planning to come down from Dallas on Thursday and be there by dinner time.

Is that too late? Should I try to come a day earlier? Is there still enough to do Friday and Saturday if I come late Thursday? I saw that the newbie ride is Thursday morning?

I just don't know the different rides you are doing and don't know anyone. Have always wanted to ride Pinto Canyon out of Marfa. Is that part of the ride that goes to Marfa? What is percentage of participants on adventure bikes vs. dirt bikes? Also, I am not good on technical hills, so that would be an issue for me for the dirt rides if they are advanced.

Anyone camping at Rancho Topango in Terlingua? I have only been down in a car before and have stayed at Lajitas, and hotels in Alpine and Ft. Davis, so not too familiar with the Terlingua lodging....

A DRZ400 is a perfect big bend bike. KLX140, leave at home. It isn't street legal anyway. The Tiger would work great on everything, but would not be nearly as much fun as a DRZ. DRZ is street legal?

Coming Wednesday just give you that much more fun in the desert. Arriving Thursday for dinner, riding Friday and Saturday will feel like a week. Riding a half day sunday is a great way to cap it off. We'll be doing a newly purchased ghost town scouting ride sunday, I hope.

Last edited:
I have a question for you guys. I'm riding down on Wednesday morning and coming home Sunday. It'll be my first time in Big Bend. My buddy and I were supposed to split a room at El Dorado but he may not be able to make it. I'm not sure if I want to pay $80/night just for me. Are there any other options for cheap stays or camping in the area? I'd like to stay close to the action in Terlingua. Thx.

Also, I'm new to dual sport riding so plan on doing the Newbie dinner Weds night and clinic on Thurs. Even though I have a 650 I'd planning to do the Dos y Dos on Saturday. I guess I'll find a group for a nice Friday ride. I'm hoping for a nice mix of asphalt and dirt and just enjoying the scenery. I'm really looking forward to the trip.

There is cheap everything. According to the El Dorado there is a wait list a mile long so they would not mind for you to cancel. Probably you could find a roomie with no issues if you post up here. There are always last minute guys.

Last edited:
Hey folks. I have a room at the Eldorado that I will not be needing. It is for Thurs, Fri, Sat nights. 2 double beds. Message me if you are interested in taking the room for the 3 nights. Thanks, Bill

Seems like Big Bend Resort (432-371-2218) in Study Butte has single rooms available at $70/night. And, camping at $16/night.

Getting ready to bug out. I'll be doin a little dirt track early camping if anyone happens to be there a little early.
20160221_145631_zpstxqpvbiv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Just got to Eldorado Motel, I'm a day earlier than I had planned. Was,nt sure how long it would take to get here because I,m a little gimpy I broke my knee cap in Mexico on a rented bicycle. (Darn wet cobblel stones). I,m going on a paved ride to Oginaga tomorrow. If anybody else is around I,ll be leaving the Starlight at 8:00 AM. Shadman take me off the list for the Desert Challange I,m afraid my knee can,t handle that.

Curious if anyone is going to be riding a late model WR250R this week. I am thinking of buying one in the near future...and would like to get a first hand report from someone who rides one. Currently I am riding a DRZ400.

Curious if anyone is going to be riding a late model WR250R this week. I am thinking of buying one in the near future...and would like to get a first hand report from someone who rides one. Currently I am riding a DRZ400.

Ask & ye shall receive - [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sshjqUYIOpY"]Yamaha WR250R vs Suzuki DRZ 400 DUAL SPORT DEATHMATCH! o#o - YouTube[/ame]

Spoiler Alert - keep the DRZ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back