• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Uncle's Around The Bend 2016: Ride Report Stories, Photos and More

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mr-roboto

I was on the fun but easy Pinto Canyon Road, for some strange reason I decided to detour on an abandoned road. I as rounded the corner on a steep arroyo, I noticed a dark VW van buried in deep sand. A late 60s aged man came out slowly with sunburn and a minor cut above his forehead. He slowly tells me that he has been stuck in those location for almost three days and his water supply was running low. He also added to his growing predicament that he has a serious heart condition. He had several meds in his custody, but the situation would have grown dire if I had not arrived soon.

I drove him to the Chianti Hot Springs Lodge. He summoned a special wrecker to be able to extract his van from a deep sand pit.

Next week, I will upload pictures from my says foray and the stuck van episode.

Safe Travels,

Fred

Re: 2016 9th Annual Uncle's Around the Bend, Feb 25th - 28th, 2016

:clap:

Nice move, Fred. Nice.

Nice move, Fred. Nice.

It gets better. After further discussion, he is a well known phortographer who just finished a major exhibit in Santa Fe. He has many Getty Images on file.
He also claims to have taken several famous Jimi Hendrix images that are often used by Rolling Stone magazine. I don't know if the dude was delusional from running low on water.

His son started the video streaming company called Vivio.

RB

I believe the video streaming company his son founded was called Vimeo.

It is always interesting who you will run into @ Big Bend.

RB

Wasn't this guy was it ?

2014-01-02-BruceLeaning_zps995lmj8f.jpg

You may have saved his life. :clap:

I want to thank Peter Shadman for putting together this ride. I realize that the ride organizer does not, repeat does not, have a good time. He can't walk across a room without being asked the same inane questions that he's answered a million times that day. He may have the flu, have a lot of personal changes going on in his life, and he still gets out there day after day and does all the crap they have to do.

I had a blast, saw many old friends, made some new ones, and enjoyed the banquet/celebration at the end. Thanks Peter, Sid, Marc, Bob, and all the others that sacrificed their own wishes to help out the newbies and the fat out of shape oldsters!

Wasn't this guy was it ?

2014-01-02-BruceLeaning_zps995lmj8f.jpg

That link does not work.

Here is the picture I took quickly. His face was really sunburned and he looked quite a bit dehydrated....

RB

2uyiv43.jpg

I deleted it on my PB not thinking :doh: But its not the same guy

That's one of the best stories to come out of an Uncles Around the Bend, if not the best. :clap::clap::clap:

I want to thank Peter Shadman for putting together this ride. I realize that the ride organizer does not, repeat does not, have a good time. He can't walk across a room without being asked the same inane questions that he's answered a million times that day. He may have the flu, have a lot of personal changes going on in his life, and he still gets out there day after day and does all the crap they have to do.

I had a blast, saw many old friends, made some new ones, and enjoyed the banquet/celebration at the end. Thanks Peter, Sid, Marc, Bob, and all the others that sacrificed their own wishes to help out the newbies and the fat out of shape oldsters!

?

We dropped out a bit early from Dos Y Dos because of a dead battery/charging system on the DRZ. That combined with a flooded camp site in Rio Grande led to an early departure on Saturday afternoon for higher ground at a nice Midland hotel.

I woke at 6am Saturday with the tent an inch deep in irrigation water at Rio Grande. At first I though the Rio Grand was flooding. 43 degrees and an inch and rising, sounds like Johnny Cash song.

We did get a lot of fun riding on Friday at the ranch.

Thanks to Peter for herding the cats again this year.

Awesome weekend!

A million thanks to Shadman and crew. So appreciate all y'all did. (And thanks for the grand tour of the big blue bus.)

JT and I rode a good part of Old Ore Rd on Thursday. Rode to the "Top of the World" on Friday.

Did 150 miles on Dirty Sally Saturday. My bottomus is thankful for the "mini hide of Cecil" i rigged up the day before leaving.

We had a great group on Saturday's ride. I appreciate everyone's 'putting' up with me 'puttin' along.. Thanks JT for 'putting' our excursion together and leading us.

Enjoyed meeting folks on The Porch.

Great hospitality, great weather and great riding.

gina

I missed it but I'm remembering and can't say enough thanks to Peter (still - for last year) because he definitely went above and beyond, and I'm sure he did again. I know there are a lot of people involved to make magic happen :clap:

Bravo, Fred, for taking the right turn at the right moment!

I heard that the weather was wonderful! Sorry y'all didn't get to play in the mud but it sounds like it couldn't have been a whole lot better.

I second Dave's comments. This was a first for me. Many thanks to the organizers, lead and sweep riders. It's good to know an experienced rider has your back. Perfect weather and great trails. I'll be back.

I would like to thank everyone who was patient enough to help me navigate River Road, that was quite a ride. Special thanks to Peter and everyone else who made this event possible. I had a great weekend, look forward to future events.

Souverain, it was nice to meet you. See you soon. You should plan on the Fall trip to Galeana.

Dave Bell

I would like to thank everyone who was patient enough to help me navigate River Road, that was quite a ride. Special thanks to Peter and everyone else who made this event possible. I had a great weekend, look forward to future events.

I enjoyed being your neighbor at Chisos Mining Co

I should'a known it wasn't my day. First I will tell on myself, I dumped it in the parking lot at the Starlight and bent the kick stand. It is one of those heavy duty ProMotoBillet kickstands so I really, really had to try to do this.

Rlud80bHv8tUU7r2EeFoxy1aLh6jrvRoh1f_x5rqZeXffGBBtvmXwNM9xxGGXDicMbSBEicn3Bfq_3tbVt=w1162-h653-no.jpg

This is pathetic!

DH3MlUQnjBtT3dsJhsSUhNcx5tUm-yLZ4O-2kchIOyT6AxVmvA-u6kTkWiJqgV_5qIYJp7MhTsfgcF7oQi=w1162-h653-no.jpg

Then the tail bag clasp broke so I had to become Mr. Bungie man. I almost lost my license plate but fortunately Rob saw it on its last bolt and I was able to stow it in my back pack. Climbing the last hill on Black Gap before Glen Springs Rd disaster sprung upon me.

pFwGkLtgL5Kzhymy5O1c34jLU48tBlV42ibvOYfjqyuj7CMYhzoDP-PgUqvamBcaVdfF9q0vqhKnSDJCz_=w1162-h653-no.jpg

VK3E9pWiNmgjy3p-odssjwz0MtBN9MG0_Kp9Ht9gd6qxiokinF8LLZFtt8C48Skw4YyV-w1c7bX7U9Kar5=w1162-h653-no.jpg

I clipped a big rock which sent me into the wall side of the road where I hit a big flat rock in the shape of a ramp that catapulted me back across the road on down the cliff side of the road. Fortunately the bike high sided and threw me on down the cliff further but I saved the bike. :-) I am convinced if the bike had gone down first, it would have suffered significant damage. Me, well a slightly damaged ego and a few bruised muscles. But I live to ride again. My trajectory took me from right in front of the cactus down to where you see the back tire.

KYY9_-V1uzLOkrEqls8EZ7R4e40Ul0FdLubQs0Ovtti-DrZi_7hz-_rA2Np_XmASUYUTKbT60T_3wkHkYB=w1162-h653-no.jpg

I feigned significant bodily injury and got Rob and Joe to pull my bike out of the cliff face below. You know why they call me the old master, right? Cuz I'm old! :-) Had I traveled another ten or fifteen feet, I would have gone over the second ledge and another thirty or forty feet straight down.

183Rn8JmbCL5yVX7vCzvhSZJrWz3OOSUP7Xvf1g1mkvdnAVq9VjB9Q_A4fxUMl-OyCim85uiwQ2WB-hins=w1162-h653-no.jpg

-VAWHZeAuN13EG0_pmHs-jllyEbgkgPu5yfH6XMTnlJhRlGSHWT6wOu4fkYuD71_hVZZQiuKYI716E0kGl=w1162-h653-no.jpg

I do appreciate the help Rob and Joe. At that moment I really didn't know how badly I was injured. I only knew my back hurt like ...

Returned home to find the only real damage to the bike from the crash was that my horn and bracket had been ripped off the radiator shroud. So I will have to mount it on the opposite side. Hope it will pass inspection. :-)

Thanks Pete for organizing this, I will need to return next year and get back on this horse.

Last edited:
Well, Sunday I finally pulled up stakes at BJ's and pulled the Taj Mahal back to the world of traffic, noise and work.

I want to thank everyone who had a part in making Uncle's possible, I had a great time! The perfect way to polish off almost three weeks in Big Bend! It was great seeing and riding with friends new and old, I was introduced to new to me roads and experiences and was able to share them with other riders. I'm already trying to figure out how to extend my next stay in Big Bend!

I'll have to work on my pictures and video later, right now I have to unpack and clean up.

I had a great time and Love the area.

How many did the Adventure Challenge?

We started a little late and did not see many tracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back