• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Looking for later model DRZ-400

Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Last Name
Beckwith
Hi Gang, We are on the search for a fairly recent model DRZ-400s. Wondering if there might be any lurking out there for sale. I have a good friend who is now in the market for one. Needs to be in fresh ready to ride shape, with all paperwork clear and conveyable & street legal. Any additional dirt rider farkles would raise the desirability factor. Please PM with info if you have a candidate bike

Can you wait a few weeks for it?

I haz 2004 DRZ400S, FCR carb, yosh exhaust, 96db insert, IMS 4.somethin gal tank, rack... Bond rolled off the title recently, so would transfer with a clear title....but I need a DS bike for my vacation!

Make sure the title transfer date is current. I was told today that I would have to pay a $250.00 fine in Hays County because the seller dated the title a year ago, the penalty is $50 per month after the first 30 days from sale up to a Max of $250 (or at least that is how it is done in Hays County). Big difference between the S and E, def go with the FCR on a modded S or get an E model (same as the KLX400R 2003).

Hmm, Might be willing to wait if the price warrants. :trust: What kind of farkles
are on it, and how many miles (roughly) When will you be ready to sell? Please send details.

What's the primary use for this bike? If you want a very capable off-road bike that can be ridden on the road when needed, try to find a 2003-04 DRZ400E that's been plated. I've owned a couple of those over the years and much prefer those over an S model unless it's been treated to performance mods like the FCR carb.

Both of mine were bought with off-road titles, made street legal using a Tusk wiring harness, rear light assembly and a few other bits (less than $125), and the titles changed over to street legal. Not a hard process at all.

For a mostly commuter/DS bike that can also be taken on trail rides, the S will be fine.

Last edited:
"later model drz400s?" I have to guess that is because the later models ones are better or more advanced?

Later models...not necessarily more advanced, just newer, less miles, less wear, less problems. I don't think they have changed much over the years.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

2006 with 5948 miles. $3000.00

002.jpg

004.jpg

Last edited:
Hey that looks interesting Mudclod. I can see there are some nice farkles. Any chance you could give us a rundown of what it has on it? Current tags & inspection, clear transferable title? Might try to head your way later today, or in the morning. Could you PM us an address & directions, and/or a phone # please

Thanks Kickstand! Have the "s" model in mind. Small and short, don't really need the power or gearing of the "e." Sure appreciate your post.

Thanks for the advice Kiko. You too DaJudge. We find ourselves in Tyler periodically - hope to meet you at some point.

Mudclod's Z is a nice set up with the skid plate, OS tank, rack, headlight upgrade, and engine cover guards (a must), handguards, gps mount. Looks to be an S model with the turn signals. Very clean deal for a low mileage model.

Word of advice, when buying a drz400....

Keep in mind it's been a while since I followed the bikes, MAYBE it's something they addressed, BUT-- The auto cam chain tensioner spring is way too firm, and has a tendency to stretch the cam chain. The fix was a manual chain tensioner. If set properly, you shouldn't need to touch it. Just be aware if it. God forbid you buy a bike, decide to install this 'peace of mind' part, and remove the old one to find some jank crap like this..

Yes, thats an acorn nut braised onto the end of the tensioner. It had stretched the chain SO BADLY, the stock tensioner was not long enough to take up the slack.

2012-12-13_11-49-48_827_zpsaea9de5f.jpg

There are also several "loc-tite fixes" where you remove certain covers and loc-tite several bolts. They've been known to come loose and grenade these engines.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great advice. I'd seen small excerpts about some of those issues, but not done enough research. (Still have only begun). Truly appreciate all the info.

If you get one, and decide you wanna taclke it, lemme know I've got step by step how to pictures of what to do.

For example---
PicsArt_1359663382107_zps0abeb3e8.jpg

My heartfelt thanks to oceans daughter, wildernessrider and especially MUDCLOD! for helping me become a two-wheeled Texan (for at least part of the year). Bought mudclods bike today and chomping at the bit to get her dirty. Looking forward to riding with y'all this summer.

And thank you! I look forward to riding with you when you get here.

02a8071d-d57a-4ec3-8959-c8d5134cbb4a_zps0djhmzp2.jpg

Back