• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sunset, class, and new lens

Sunday wanderings

I went out looking for butterflies this afternoon, didn't see many but caught some other interesting items.

A green beetle ... was hard to keep a good focus as the wind was blowing around the flower he was perched on.
Beetle_4-24-2016-L.jpg

A bee on some wildflowers.

bee_4-24-2016-L.jpg

A small yellow butterfly (or moth?).

yellow_butterfly2_4-24-2016-L.jpg

Lots of dewberries I wanted to get close to, but didn't have my boots on and wasn't interested in making friends with any snakes.

dewberries1_4-24-16-L.jpg

Walked all the way to the end of the road because I had seen this thistle when I was out for a walk with the kids. Not many of them left that weren't loosing their petals.

Thistle2_4-24-2016-L.jpg

Thistle_4-24-2016-L.jpg

Emily and I were trying to look up the name of this flower ... is it a sunflower or Mexican Cone flower?

Wildflower2_4-24-2016-L.jpg

This lone flower was saved from the tractor mowing the property next door.

YellowFlower2_4-24-16-L.jpg

Toward the end of the road you could see some clouds starting to roll in, looked like it might rain but they moved off.

StormClouds4-24-2016-L.jpg

On the walk back I attempted to catch the road that leads to our property. Not sure I am pleased with the way they turned out, but the experiment is interesting.

i-BnzdVRk-L.jpg
i-MsVDRF7-L.jpg

Jennifer

I really like the last one looking up the road. Brings back fond memories.

:sun:
Luckily the gentleman who owns the property at the end (and the road) spent a lot of money fixing the road a month or so ago. It withheld the huge rains recently quite well.

Jennifer

You are becoming a master of that shallow DOF! :clap:

I'm kind of partial to this one myself
YellowFlower2_4-24-16-L.jpg

Girl! Why are you not posting more? Sheesh, I just stalked your gallery and it's growing with some Ahhh-Mazing images. :clap:

You are becoming a master of that shallow DOF! :clap:

I'm kind of partial to this one myself

Thanks, went out with the prime lens only to see what I could find. Made me move around, get close to the ground, and try different angles. ;-)

I'm learning from the best!

Girl! Why are you not posting more? Sheesh, I just stalked your gallery and it's growing with some Ahhh-Mazing images. :clap:

Thank you :-) I actually ordered some prints to start a photo wall in the house. Took me awhile to decide which ones I wanted.

Went outside fairly early this morning ... what might I see differently in the early morning light?

The cats and the dog had to follow along to help. Nothing like getting the tail of a cat in your photo and having the flower you are focused on trampled by the dog ... ugh.

I dislike these, but the sun coming up behind them was pretty :sun:

Nettle1_5-1-2016-L.jpg

Nettle2_5-1-2016-L.jpg

The cat thought he was majestic in the sunlight.

Moe_5-1-2016-L.jpg

As I walked along the front of our property I noticed something interesting growing out of the hay.

Mushrooms1_5-1-2016-L.jpg
Mushrooms2_5-1-2016-L.jpg

King of the mushroom people.

Obi1_5-1-2016-L.jpg

Along the driveway under the trees were some other interesting mushrooms.

Mushrooms3_5-1-2016-L.jpg
Mushrooms5_5-1-2016-L.jpg
Mushrooms4_5-1-2016-L.jpg

King of the Mushroom People is great! Love the subdued feel to the mushroom series.

King of the Mushroom People is great! Love the subdued feel to the mushroom series.

About 7:15 am, under the trees in front of the property (the one with the cat) and the others are even deeper in the trees along the circle drive. Funny how I had not noticed them before.

I haven't tried portrait photography much but wanted pics of Emily before graduation. Set her up far enough from the trees in the background to get the color but not the distraction of the trees/leaves. Used a reflector to gather light on her face while standing in the shade.

i-46kgX59-L.jpg

Caught her laughing with her grandma :)

i-QGB28fN-L.jpg

She didn't like this one as much, but I like the eyes.

i-H584dsd-L.jpg

Nice!! I really like the relaxed feel of the first two. The third seems a little stiff, but like you, I also like the eyes. The skin tones are a bit hot, which is where LR can really help in post. She looks like she's kind of squinting because the reflected light is bright in her eyes. Perhaps moving the reflector further away, maybe using a smaller one, or even try a gold one for a warmer look. The trees worked well and gave a nice contrast without being too harsh.

Nice!! I really like the relaxed feel of the first two. The third seems a little stiff, but like you, I also like the eyes. The skin tones are a bit hot, which is where LR can really help in post. She looks like she's kind of squinting because the reflected light is bright in her eyes. Perhaps moving the reflector further away, maybe using a smaller one, or even try a gold one for a warmer look. The trees worked well and gave a nice contrast without being too harsh.

Thanks. First time using a reflector. It has a gold side and a white side. I think this one was with the gold side but probably was too close to her face. The third picture was also one of the first of the set before she relaxed a little.

Jennifer

Berries and Mushrooms

I went for a walk this morning and noticed a bunch of interesting mushrooms that have come up after the rain. Went back for my camera ... it has been feeling neglected the last month.

American Beauty Berry in bloom all over our property. I love the color on these large bushes.

AmBeautyBerry8-28-16-L.jpg

These little white flowers grow on a vine, or stem, that stands about 2 feet off the ground. Very little foliage.

WhiteFlowers8-28-16-L.jpg

And now the variety of mushrooms:

Mushroom1_8-28-16-L.jpg

Mushroom2_8-28-16-L.jpg

Mushroom8-28-16-L.jpg

Love these tiny mushrooms.

TinyMushrooms1_8-28-16-L.jpg

TinyMushrooms2_8-28-16-L.jpg

And some Turkey Tail with a white mushroom in the background.

TurkeyTail8-28-16-L.jpg

all good shots, but the next to last of the little white mushrooms is great!

acorns

Playing with an acorn on the railing of the deck after a little rain ...

acorn2-9-24-16-M.jpg

same shot, different crop ...

acorn3-9-24-16-M.jpg

acorn1_9-24-16-M.jpg

And raindrops on the rose bush ...

roseleaves9-24-16-M.jpg

Mark had been putting in new native plants just as it began to rain ...

i-HbHpVQM-M.jpg

That last nut is kind of funny looking. What kind of tree did it fall from...? :-P

Back